Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
*sigh* another problem--reader won't let me go anywhere

I have a 900, computer is Windows XP.

I have downloaded some books (YEAH ) from manybooks.com, got some classics I have been wanting to read plus some others. Used Calibre to download the books.

Finished reading one last night, went back to home page and browsed through Calibre's start guide and then turned it off.
Now, this morning when I clicked it on it won't let me go anywhere, including going to setting.

There is on the screen the picture of a book open and the statement continue reading. Then it shows the words Calibre quick start guide and a "book". Below that is the symbol of books on a shelf. First row is the book I had finished reading, the calibre book and another book; next row is periodicals, collections and add notes. It shows at the bottom the little house for home, store collections and setting. No matter what I touch with stylus it shows-- from the first row, third icon, a book from the library and it keeps showing the same book, it darkened it, then reshows it, over and over and . . .

Not sure if this is any help, but what I did on downloading books was at the site click on download and ePub. They showed up on my desktop. Then I dragged them to the calibre icon; it showed it was downloaded, then showed them on a list of books on the calibre. Plugged in the USB cord, highlighted the books and went to send to reader, clicked on it and away the books went; showing up on the home page of ereader. Was going to figure out how to do the organization at a later date, wanted to read a book and see how it went. It does let me open options, but only shows the orientation and doesn't let me chang that.

Now what? Still having problems with the Sony reader on my computer. I will update that in that thread.

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Do you have Adobe Digital Editions installed? In order to read/transfer DRM ePub books, you need to have ADE. It's a quick download.

Once downloaded, plug in your reader and authorize your reader in ADE. After that, you should be able to read your downloads. Good luck!
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
JLYates
Connoisseur

yes, I installed the ADE, I am not really happy about the DRM, that seems to me to be a ripoff. I keep going back and forth about the Sony Library, I HATE the aspect of DRM, but I worry that there will be books I want that are DRM only. But I HATE the properity of the DRM.

*sigh* seems so easy but can be so difficult at times, for those of us who are not electronic savvy. But I will learn, eventually, LOL

I just remembered, I had also updated the Calibre, to the 7.4 or whatever it is, could that be part of it? Or the battery? It is showing only one bar, and I have never seen the light come on that I have read about (the yellow or read light for low battery, but it shows one bar a lot). Is my battery defective? I left it plugged in for five hours one day, and two days later, when I turned on the 900, it showed it only half full (battery).
I thought it was to take four hours or less with the AC adapter. With the USB on the computer, it could be over five hours.

Janette
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Do you have Adobe Digital Editions installed? In order to read/transfer DRM ePub books, you need to have ADE.
Janette was reading the calibre quickstart guide, which is most definitely not DRM-locked. Her problems have nothing to do with DRM restrictions (and DRM-locked ebooks can be transferred, though not edited, by cailbre). Not to mention, she was in the middle of reading the book already.

Janette, the problem is almost certainly battery-related. Sony Readers lie about their battery status. I've seen crystal balls more accurate then the battery bar. If you have a wall charger, plug it in and give it a good (4+ hour, overnight would be better) charge. You have to be careful with the USB charger, because most computers shut off power to their USB ports when they go into sleep mode, at which point the Reader tries to power the computer!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Janette was reading the calibre quickstart guide, which is most definitely not DRM-locked. Her problems have nothing to do with DRM restrictions (and DRM-locked ebooks can be transferred, though not edited, by cailbre). Not to mention, she was in the middle of reading the book already.

Janette, the problem is almost certainly battery-related. Sony Readers lie about their battery status. I've seen crystal balls more accurate then the battery bar. If you have a wall charger, plug it in and give it a good (4+ hour, overnight would be better) charge. You have to be careful with the USB charger, because most computers shut off power to their USB ports when they go into sleep mode, at which point the Reader tries to power the computer!
There is lots of truth there - something is dramatically wrong with battery status. Often, my reader will drop to a single bar, then if I turn it off (through advanced settings) and back on, the battery indicator will be full.

Also, the replacement battery I bought for my PRS900 last MUCH MUCH longer than the one it originally came with - which makes me think the original was defective.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
JLYates
Connoisseur

I plugged it in to charge it around noon (my time EST) it showed the red light for about half an hour. I am going to let it charge for at least 7 hours. Then see how long it holds the charge. I remember reading somewhere of how someone had problems and they took the battery out for a few minutes and then put it back in and it held the charge. I will do some more research on it and see what I can find.
If it still doesn't hold the charge, I guess I'll get a new battery.

I bought the one that came with all the accessories, charger, hard cover as I had been worried about charging on my computer even before I read about it here.
Thanks for the info.
I know that if I hadn't been guide to this site, I would probably have returned my Sony, not because I think it is a bad ereader (I think it is a great system), but because I would have been having such a hard time figuring it out. Electronic savvy I am not.

Janette
Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
JLYates
Connoisseur

update.

My son found the problem for me. After letting it charge for 8 hours, I turned it on and still wouldn't work. Then my son took my reader and took off the screen protector (which was the wrong size). Which of course made me feel VERY STUPID.

So, it seems to be fine now. I am going to leave it on for a while and see how long the battery lasts.

Now, I just have to figure out how to put my books into a collection.

Janette
Old 06-25-2010, 02:31 AM   #8
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
screen protector wasn't letting the screen work.

Very, uhh, unique problem there.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLYates View Post
update.

My son found the problem for me. After letting it charge for 8 hours, I turned it on and still wouldn't work. Then my son took my reader and took off the screen protector (which was the wrong size). Which of course made me feel VERY STUPID.

So, it seems to be fine now. I am going to leave it on for a while and see how long the battery lasts.

Now, I just have to figure out how to put my books into a collection.

Janette
Janette,
what type of screen protector were you using? I need one for my PRS900 and don't know what to get.
thanks
Toni P.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote