Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Love my iPad for travel

I just took my iPad 3G on a trip that covered four states and included lots of driving. I kept up with news, read my books, got all my e-mail, and five other family members got to use it. None had previous iPad experience and all loved it. They were able to hop on and immediately start using it, including checking news from their hometown overseas and looking at family photos and YouTube videos of kids and such. We also used it to look up all sorts of travel info on the fly, make last-minute hotel and car reservations, find good places to eat and shop, etc. What a great gadget.

I also took my Kindle, because I've taken it everywhere for more than a year and felt naked without it. I ended up not using my Kindle at all. Next trip, Kindle stays home.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The iPad no doubt would be a great traveling companion. Sounds like you and your family had a good time, and that's the important thing.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post

I also took my Kindle, because I've taken it everywhere for more than a year and felt naked without it. I ended up not using my Kindle at all. Next trip, Kindle stays home.
Maggie, you are one of the people that convinced me to give the iPad a try and I must say I haven't regretted it one bit. Mine is wifi only so not quite as useful as 3G for on the go. But then, wifi seems to be almost everywhere these days.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice, Maggie!

We have been in Ft Lauderdale since 6/1, and my iPad has been magical. We looked up reviews to find the best Cuban restaurant, kept up to date on tourist events, found a local CVS for Tim's doc to call in his ear infection medicine, and started planning our next trip (a month or two in Germany and surrounding countries, just seeing the sights and Oktoberfesting.)

How did we live without iPad? Were we cavemen and barbarians?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Nice, Maggie!

We have been in Ft Lauderdale since 6/1,
DixieGal, can I ask a favor of you? Would you please go to 'Scruby's' on University and have some of their babyback ribs for me. I can't get really great ribs here and when I'm in Ft. Lauderdale find my self eating in Scruby's every chance I get!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's been great for travel. Entertains my 3 daughters in the car for hours. Great for sharing photos with family. Reading books, of course. Web surfing....it's wonderful.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Totally agree, Maggie; the iPad is the ideal travel companion. It's certainly replaced my netbook for the purpose. With its "instant on", it's so easy to look up information using the 3G connection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
This weekend, my iPad will be tested on it's travel capability. I'll be having a 18 hour trip to Asia (4h transfer included). I wonder how the battery will stand at arrival. I don't think i'd be using it constantly, and without wifi it should last longer.

For the holiday itself, i've taken my net book with me just in case I need to do some major bug fixing, but the iPad should suffice. I've already purchased a ssh-app, combined with the built-in ease of VPN- connections, I should have no problem accessing and managing my servers.

I might get a VPN-account, so I can watch the worldcupstream during my holiday.

My 64GB iPad is now filled with comics, magazines, books, movies and podcasts. Only 2GB left. Should last me a year worth of entertainment....
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #9
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Best thing is you can do so much different things like surfing, playing games alone and with others, read, listen to audiobooks, watching TV or movies or series.

Nearly everything i already did before but i needed several devices for that while traveling (PSP, Notebook, ebook reader, ipod, ...) - Now i put my iPad in the bag and i am ready to go.

Besides that you really look like a nerd if you go trough airport secuirty with a PSP, an ebookreader, a laptop, an iPod, a mobile phone and a media player. Traveling with an iPad is so much better only one device to scan for them
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Totally agree, Maggie; the iPad is the ideal travel companion. It's certainly replaced my netbook for the purpose. With its "instant on", it's so easy to look up information using the 3G connection.
I loaded up winadmin on mine and now I can access my work pc (remote control) when on the road so I dont even need to carry a laptop when traveling anymore (love it!)
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I actually went on a 6 hour road trip today, and...didn't take my iPad. Much to my regret.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
ttate90303
Enthusiast
ttate90303 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Apple iPad 3, Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch
Yeah I can definitely agree that the iPad is a worthwhile travel device. Pair it with a pre-configured AirPort Express (for hotels that still don't have WiFi in the room) and iPad and enjoy.
ttate90303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I used my iPad for travel for the first time this week and it works very well. It still doesn't replace my netbook because there isn't a very good application for Office 2007 on the iPad yet but it can do everything else reasonably well and its quick to access during the flight for some reading time.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttate90303 View Post
Yeah I can definitely agree that the iPad is a worthwhile travel device. Pair it with a pre-configured AirPort Express (for hotels that still don't have WiFi in the room) and iPad and enjoy.
I set up a hotspot on my Evo for that. Sprint Evo 4G + iPad Wifi = Sweet Bliss
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
DixieGal, can I ask a favor of you? Would you please go to 'Scruby's' on University and have some of their babyback ribs for me. I can't get really great ribs here and when I'm in Ft. Lauderdale find my self eating in Scruby's every chance I get!

Stitchawl
I will dedicate a rack to you!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote