Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #16
jfinli
jfinli began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I am in that boat right now...I bought some kindle books for my kindle for iphone application. I don't actually have a kindle. I wound up buying a SONY and would like to get those kindle books onto it. I can't figure out how to get the book off my iphone and over to the sony. Anyone know how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
If I bought some Kindle books and later bought a different ereader, how can I get those books on that new ereader, and would they still be of the same quality? What about with the Sony?

Also, what format do most libraries offer ebooks in and how exactly does checking them out work?
jfinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by enarchay View Post
So converting them removes the DRM?
It is not necessary to remove DRM (which is illegal) to use library books on a Kindle. There are some tools that will allow you to modify the book for use on a Kindle and leave DRM in tact. However you need to get the ID for you Kindle and that is something that Amazon tries to hide. It can be done, however. You can see the wiki article on our web site for more details.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is not necessary to remove DRM (which is illegal) to use library books on a Kindle. There are some tools that will allow you to modify the book for use on a Kindle and leave DRM in tact. However you need to get the ID for you Kindle and that is something that Amazon tries to hide. It can be done, however. You can see the wiki article on our web site for more details.

Dale
Might as well strip the DRM. It's just as illegal as shifting the DRM according to Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
I'm sure Dale knows this but since the OP is very new to the subject, I thought I should clarify by adding that this is true for the Mobipocket books. The only way to read DRMed PDF or ePub on a Kindle is to remove the DRM. Some people claim it's ok to do this for your own personal use if you need to remove the DRM to read it on a different device. Others say it's illegal. It has never been tested in court and the law isn't the clearest so the debate continues in many public fora like this one. At the very least it is against the terms of service laid out by the library and most retailers. It is also illegal for us to provide you the tools to do this, which is why you'll notice that we tend to talk around the specifics of how it's done.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
This is exactly why I went with a Sony----I can load library books without and stripping, converting, tweaking, shifting, removing,etc. Yes I KNOW you can read library books on a Kindle (I've already been told that), but it just seems so much more complicated than the Sony.

Can you BUY books from any stores besides Amazon and Fictionwise (multi-format)?
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinli View Post
I can't figure out how to get the book off my iphone and over to the sony. Anyone know how?
See Kindle app for iPhone and iPod Touch in iTunes Store. Some Kindle ebooks are DRM-free AZW (MOBI), and for these all you need to do is use Calibre to convert to LRF or ePub. For DRMed AZW, the DRM needs to be removed first. For TOPAZ ebooks, there is no way to convert them at present.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote