Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Any science (non-fiction) recommendations?

Anyone have any science ebook recommendations that meet the following criteria?

1) not overly technical (I don't have a science degree)
2) available without DRM (and preferably in a format that suits the PRS-700 without conversion).
2a) Must be available to buy from Australia
3) I've just read 'A Brief History of Time' and want some more books with a similar tone.
4) Not a text book

Any science topic is welcome, especially evolution, space exploration, anything to do with the brain/mind.

I couldn't find anything on Fictionwise. I like the sound of the Bill Bryson book but can't find it without DRM.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I'd reccomend just about anything by Dr. Michio Kaku. I don't know how available they are in Australia, I know Fictionwise sells 2 of them.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are more popular science ebooks available now than in the past, but they are almost all DRM-laden. One I recommend is The Selfish Gene: 30th Anniversary Edition by Richard Dawkins. It is available as a Secure Adobe PDF from ebooks.com. They actually have a nice selection of recent mainstream popular science ebooks, but all with DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Prof. Dawkins has written quite a couple of very interesting books - I dont know which are available as ebooks, but I recommend them ntl.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. Love everything he does but this one is particularly good.

Mary Roach - Particularly "Stiffs". The only nonfiction book about cadavers that will make you laugh out loud? Is that inappropriate? ...sigh....

Also, if you are all environmentally minded "The World Without Us" by Arthur Weisman (I think). Not as good as Bryson's (Bryson is quite humorous) but an interesting concept. National Geographic did a great documentary similar to this which was quite good.

Mel

ETA Just noticed you already know about the Bill Bryson. Sorry can't help you out with drm free.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
If you're not averse to listening to science lectures, I recommend audiobook courses from The Teaching Company ( http://www.teach12.com ) - on very wide range of subjects, and almost always very interesting to listen to. As far as I know, they're not released as ebooks, but since I found them, I prefer to listen to such course to reading a science ebook.
Another company offering similar range of insteresting courses is Modern Scholar.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Would Guns, Germs, and Steel qualify?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I would 2nd Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'.

He has other technical books but have I have not read them yet.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
You might look into Steven Pinker
(The Stuff of Thought: Language As a Window Into Human Nature)
(The Language Instinct - How the Mind Creates Language)

and Edward O. Wilson
(The Diversity of Life)
(On Human Nature)
or
(The Future of Life)

All very readable. And also Wilson's autobiography (Naturalist)

oh, and also Richard Feynman's (Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman!)

Last edited by wayspooled; 05-02-2009 at 11:54 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you enjoyed A Brief History of Time, you might enjoy The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene (I've no idea if it's available as an ebook, and it's Sunday arvo, so if you want to go looking, be my guest ). It becomes "technical" of sorts, as it progresses, but its beauty is that it leads logically and gently into it, such that it doesn't feel like you're drowning in conceptual mindwarps (which is a nifty trick, considering the subject matter ). I actually found it a more enjoyable and a bit easier (though much longer) read than A Brief History of Time (and that's without denigrating the latter at all).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
"The origins of species" (6th ed.) by Charles Darwin. Free download from Feedbooks.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #12
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea;
I'd not spotted that one - thank you
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
If you enjoyed A Brief History of Time, you might enjoy The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene (I've no idea if it's available as an ebook, and it's Sunday arvo, so if you want to go looking, be my guest ). It becomes "technical" of sorts, as it progresses, but its beauty is that it leads logically and gently into it, such that it doesn't feel like you're drowning in conceptual mindwarps (which is a nifty trick, considering the subject matter ). I actually found it a more enjoyable and a bit easier (though much longer) read than A Brief History of Time (and that's without denigrating the latter at all).

Cheers,
Marc
Yep, they're both excellent books.

I also enjoyed Marcus Chown's 'The Magic Furnace' about the origin of atoms. (I keep meaning to look for more by him.)

Richard Fortey's 'Life: an unauthorised biography' is a fascinating account of life on Earth.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Search out "The Tao of Physics" by Fritof Capra. Delightful book, not technical, and doing a wonderful job of explaining Physics, Metaphysics, Taoism, and how they all seem to be the same damn thing!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #15
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Also from Brian Greene, The Fabric of the Cosmos would be a good read. (If you enter code EBOOKS you can still get 25% off at cyberread.com - which is a tad cheaper than Amazon.)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recommendation, science