Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
Vorkosigan
Vorkosigan began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Digital Reader
Digital Reader as a notebook

I was thinking of getting the Digital Reader to use as a notebook to take notes in class. Has anyone used it for this purpose, and if so, how is it? A couple of specific questions I had:
- Can you add new pages to an existing writepad, either on the device or with the companion software?
- When you open a writepad your working on (not a template) can you easily flip to the last page? Do the writepads have the same navigation tools as normal documents such as the progess bar?
- I've heard there is a slight delay when writing with the stylus. Is this much of a problem when taking notes?
- Looking around the forums here, it sounds like there is a delay when switching pages. How is the delay when flipping the pages of a writepad?

It looks like a really nice device, but I want to make sure it will fit my purpose before buying it.
Vorkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post
I was thinking of getting the Digital Reader to use as a notebook to take notes in class.
You should check thread about battery life before you even think about getting one for note-taking... Unless you are happy with rather poor runtime at this moment.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
You can't add pages to a writepad as such. You can create a multipage writepad, or, if you have only single page pads, when you fill one page, start another writepad. The DR names all writepads you start incremetnally, eg writpad1 writepad2 etc. when you start another.
The original writepad is never changed, it just creates new each time you start one.

You can re-open an old one and continue where you left off provided you haven't merged the scribbles to a final document.

The stylus keeps up quite well with writing etc. The main trick is getting used to where the "ink" will start from where you think you have touched the screen. Due to the thickness of the screen & pen tip length, the degree of "offset" can be interesting. Largely when you come to re-start your sentance. However I do use it for brief notes & sketches.

wrt the battery life for writing, I don't know. I've never tried to write all day & I would never be that far from a power source anyway. However, the device is a bit thirsty at present and continous writing will not give the greatest life. Do read the various threads on battery life & possible wait to see what others have to say on the writing.

regards
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote