Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
mushroomyakuza
mushroomyakuza began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Post Kindle and other formats

Hi all

First of all, apologies, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm in a rush at the moment and don't have time to go sifting through forums looking for the answers I need when I could just ask directly.

Can someone tell me, as simlpy as possible, if my other eBook formats will work on a Kindle? From what I understand, Kindles have a specific format created by Amazon and will not read epubs, LRFs or other files. Is this correct?

I do have calibre and could convert the files from epub and LRF to...whatever the Kindle format is, but because of DRM restrictions, I'm not sure this would work? I was told that with the Kindle you have to rebuy all your eBooks in the Kindle-specific format. Obviously this is quite an expense for books I already have, but my Reader is on the verge of giving up the ghost and it's my second one in as many years, and frankly I've heard too many good things about the Kindle to go back to buy yet another Reader. But of course, I would have to reconsider if it meant re-buying all my books off Amazon rather than just converting them through Calibre, but from what I've read, it's not quite as simple as that with Kindle.

Any and all feedback on this question would be much appreciated, as well as some general overview of the Kindle as a product - is it as good as everyone seems to say it is?

Many thanks
mushroomyakuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
In most cases it is possible. It depends on your technical skills and moral stance. First you have to remove DRM which may be quite easy or difficult or even impossible depending on your situation. But it is worth a shot before giving up and re-buying all your books from Amazon.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The Kindle's format is Mobipocket (or Mobi). Calibre will convert ePub and LRF to Mobi, but only if they're not infected with DRM. I can't give you detailed instructions on how to remove the DRM, but if you google Apprentice Alf you should find scripts and Calibre plugins to remove DRM.

Personally, I really like my Kindle. I saw a Sony Reader before I bought it, but didn't really play with it a great deal, so I can't really compare the two.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
mushroomyakuza
mushroomyakuza began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks for the reply. Is DRM tricky to remove? Can it be done by Calibre?
mushroomyakuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomyakuza View Post
Is DRM tricky to remove? Can it be done by Calibre?
Calibre itself and it's creator do not support and will not give you any advice regarding the removal of DRM.

That being said the earlier advice given regarding Apprentice Alf's blog will lead you in the right direction.

There has been a plugin created by an external programmer that can be applied to your Calibre installation. This plugin will remove DRM from files within Calibre, after which you can convert them to any format you desire.

Although the creators of Calibre won't stop you from using this plugin, they also won't help you with it.

You will have to find your answers within Google or Apprentice Alf.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert