Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
N2A Cards (NOOK Tablet)

Just bought the 32gb card, I have to say it is a fantastic purchase. If there are any other fans out there maybe this discussion can be a fixed thread.

I can't find anything negative to say about it at this time.

Any other comments are welcome.

Favorite eBook Reader?
Favorite wallpaper?
Favorite app?
Favorite launcher?
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Some people consider these unethical. That's because they take software that has been developed by the hobbyist community out of a sense of community service, and sell it on to people who might not know you can get it for free. However, they do provide the service of burning it onto a card (which is the same as burning a music CD for yourself), and the SD card.

If they were selling on commercial software, they would be prosecuted, but since it is provided for free, no-one is going to do anything about it.

Personally I don't really like it, but it is not a big deal. No-one is really losing out on money. However it is better in my opinion to burn it yourself and donate the money to the developers. Not that I donated any money to anyone myself.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
Just bought the 32gb card, I have to say it is a fantastic purchase. If there are any other fans out there maybe this discussion can be a fixed thread.

I can't find anything negative to say about it at this time.

Any other comments are welcome.

Favorite eBook Reader?
Favorite wallpaper?
Favorite app?
Favorite launcher?
I have one and love it too. Yes, I know I could root my Nook Tablet myself but I wanted the convenience of the card. I don't really see why it's unethical- I paid them for a service, they delivered.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So long as they are up-front that all they are doing is downloading some free software off the web and burning it onto a card, I guess it is fine.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
probbiethe1
probbiethe1 began at the beginning.

I have an N2A card for both my Nook Tablet and Nook Color and they are awesome. To answer your questions.
Favorite ebook reader- Aldiko
Favorite Wallpaper- Zoomfield
I dont really have a favorite app but my favorite launcher of all time is Tag, I dont use it on the N2A cards but it is still may favorite.

Now on to the other topic that this form has generated. Android is open source and not free there is a huge difference between open source software and free software. Open source software is open and free to everyone so anyone can do with it what they please free software is free to everyone to use how the developer says you can.
probbiethe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
megthered
Connoisseur
megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8.0, Nook HD
I wanted my Nook color rooted and didn't have time or knowledge to do it. I got the N2A card and it is the best purchase I ever made (next to my Nook).
megthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
Favorite eBook Reader?
Mantano and Kindle for Android, Moon+ is pretty nice too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujokan View Post
Some people consider these unethical. That's because they take software that has been developed by the hobbyist community out of a sense of community service, and sell it on to people who might not know you can get it for free. However, they do provide the service of burning it onto a card (which is the same as burning a music CD for yourself), and the SD card.

If they were selling on commercial software, they would be prosecuted, but since it is provided for free, no-one is going to do anything about it.

Personally I don't really like it, but it is not a big deal. No-one is really losing out on money. However it is better in my opinion to burn it yourself and donate the money to the developers. Not that I donated any money to anyone myself.
That would be my approach also.

Seriously, it's as simple as

Download a couple of files
Download a free app to put the image on the SD card
Put into Nook Color

I'm not familiar with N2A cards on Nook Tablets, but on the NC it's really kind of idiot proof.

It's the devs that deserve the donations.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
That would be my approach also.

Seriously, it's as simple as

Download a couple of files
Download a free app to put the image on the SD card
Put into Nook Color

I'm not familiar with N2A cards on Nook Tablets, but on the NC it's really kind of idiot proof.

It's the devs that deserve the donations.
It's not quite as simple as all that, IMO. I just bought a Nook Tablet (refurb) and I'm having a little difficulty getting started to get the card written properly.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
My son has a 15 gb Nook Tablet, and a N2A card for it. We've had a lot of problems with the device suddenly shutting down, freezing, etc. Can I assume it's the Android software that is the problem, or the Nook itself? He wants to return the Nook, but I'm afraid it's the card, not the hardware, right?
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
My son has a 15 gb Nook Tablet, and a N2A card for it. We've had a lot of problems with the device suddenly shutting down, freezing, etc. Can I assume it's the Android software that is the problem, or the Nook itself? He wants to return the Nook, but I'm afraid it's the card, not the hardware, right?
Last I knew both CM7 and CM9/10 for the NT were works in progress.

You'd have to have him run the NT as a stock/normal device for a few days and see if it works that way.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
It's not quite as simple as all that, IMO. I just bought a Nook Tablet (refurb) and I'm having a little difficulty getting started to get the card written properly.
Did you try the procedure described here?
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
In my experience, CM7 (and even current CM9 alpha's using old kernel 2.6) is pretty stable and the symptoms you cited are most likely due to a bad or corrupted card. You can easily eliminate the NT as culprit by running the NT without the card.

If the problem turns out to be the card and you can't get a warranty exchange for any reason you might want to first try re-imaging the card with CM7 using the procedure described here. If the card is not salvageable (i.e. re-imaging doesn't help) and you want to get a new card SanDisk Class 4 (or even Class 2) cards are the ones most frequently recommended for this use (on the basis of their relatively superior random-write speed).
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Did you try the procedure described here?
No, I had not found that one yet. And thanks, I will take a look.

Part of the problem is that I use a Mac and some of the procedures seem much easier on a PC.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Thanks, Livramax. I've been playing with the NT without the card and not having any problems, so it does appear to be the card. I think my son still wants to just sell the NT but if not I will try what you've linked to, if I can't exchange the card. Thanks again.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote