Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
FBReader Standalone Package (No Install Necessary)

I know working with the file system and system files of the iLiad is scary to some people (okay, most people). So I setup a safe standalone package for FBReader (See this thread if you missed out) that requires no file system modifications. The downside to this approach, is that you won't be able to open documents in FBReader directly from the contentlister.

The first time you click the icon, it will automatically copy some iLiad specific settings to the /home/root/ directory, and launch the program.

For SD/MMC Users, Download: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...ndalonemmc.zip

For Compact Flash (CF) Users, Download: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...andalonecf.zip

The 'fbread' folder will need to be put in the root of your memory card. Simply unzip, run, and enjoy.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
You make me happy!

Thanks, Adam!
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
rmaks
rmaks has learned how to buy an e-book online

First of all, thank you very much Adam!

It seems in this version the flipbar doesn't work well. After you turn the bar (PgDn/PgUp) you have to, for example, click the screen by stylus, then it refreshes, and then you see the next/previous page. Or is this just me? If this is a bug can it be fixed?
rmaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Thanks.

Now the "normal" users can finally try FBReader too...

UPDATE:

I used the "MMC-Card" version of the program and it runs. Problem is, I can't find any books.
The books are in the root-folder of the SD card. Now, what next? I am told to set the book path, but it says /mnt/free and I have no idea where to point it so that it searches in the root of the MMC/SD card.
Thanks.

UPDATE2:

I just found a filebrowser in FBReader and found that the path I have to set is /mnt/card

UPDATE3:

It appears that the program does work and I can open .txt files from a .zip. So far so good. The Pagebar is behaving rather unpredictably at the moment however. I think with a bit of touch-up work this will be a great allround reading suite for the Iliad, at the moment it#s still a bit too buggy and laggy for my taste however...
But it has only been a few days after all...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Thanks.

Now the "normal" users can finally try FBReader too...

UPDATE:

I used the "MMC-Card" version of the program and it runs. Problem is, I can't find any books.
The books are in the root-folder of the SD card. Now, what next? I am told to set the book path, but it says /mnt/free and I have no idea where to point it so that it searches in the root of the MMC/SD card.
Thanks.
Click the Book+ icon (second from upper left).
Click the Folder .. (You go up in the filesystem to the /)
Then select /mnt/card
That is the root of your MMC/SD card
Then select your book. Click OK and it is added to your book-list

You can read the book by clicking the upperleft icon (Books)
and maybe the + (expand) symbol in the list that appears.

If that does not work, you use the wrench-button (the 4th icon) and go to General and change the Book Path to /media/card

Succes !

Last edited by henkvdg; 03-20-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Advert
Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Very nice piece of work, much appreciated!
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I've been following this but not closely.

If I install the fbreader, before shutting down I need to exit the book and the reader?

And, once I've exited the reader I can go back to the Iliad's installed reader?

Just want to make certain before I go whistling off the cliff.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
I've been following this but not closely.

If I install the fbreader, before shutting down I need to exit the book and the reader?

And, once I've exited the reader I can go back to the Iliad's installed reader?

Just want to make certain before I go whistling off the cliff.
FBReader does not overwrite or change the internal reader in any way. It's simply just another option.

You will need to use the X in the upper right hand corner to close the program. I haven't captured button presses yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Thanks for this Adam! I was a bit nervous about editing the file system for the previous version, so this is great.
It looks like a nice app. I've only tried chm files so far.
- Had a few problems with the pagebar. Flashing led, nothing else happening. This morning it seems to be working though ? But the links from the contents page now aren't working? Will do some more experiments later.
- The margin adjust doesn't seem to work. Maybe it works for non-html formats?

For those trying to find documents, I noticed when using the shell that when I change directories to my CF card, the path becomes /media/cf instead of /mnt/cf. So I put the /media/cf path as the default path for FBreader and now I can see all the docs on my CF card straight away when browsing for new books.

Another tip - I find the layout much nicer and more readable with a 10 pt font.

Keep up the great work Adam!

P.S. Stardict still not working here, even with the new run.sh Yokos posted...
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I think I am misunderstanding the instructions because I cannot get it to work.

Here is what I have done.

1) unzipped the file for the mmc using windows.

2) Copied the FBread folder to my MM card.

3) Inserted the MMC into my iLiad and switched on.

4) From the MMC menu selected FBReader Standalone --

and then nothing happens whether I select using the stylus or the select button.

Can you guys help me out here?

Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
henkvdg
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
I think I am misunderstanding the instructions because I cannot get it to work.

Here is what I have done.

1) unzipped the file for the mmc using windows.

2) Copied the FBread folder to my MM card.

3) Inserted the MMC into my iLiad and switched on.

4) From the MMC menu selected FBReader Standalone --

and then nothing happens whether I select using the stylus or the select button.

Can you guys help me out here?

Do you have shell acces?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Do you have shell acces?
What is this? Why do I need it?
I thought this was a standalone programme.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8616

It's a package you have to request from iRex to allow user-created applications to run on your Iliad.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
Tested the CF with a .txt and is working, great work
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
geometer
geometer began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100
Adam,

great news, thank you for your work!

I would like to add reference to your port on the fbreader homepage (http://only.mawhrin.net/fbreader). Is there something like 'the home page' page of this port? Or, may be, another information you want to provide for our site?

Again, thank you very much!

-- Nikolay Pultsin (author of FBReader)
geometer is offline   Reply With Quote