Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #76
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Thought I would promote this.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #77
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Did the entire survey with lots of comments, then lost them ALL when I got to the page and had to reload Firefox (had my NoScript add-in turned on, and wasn't warned there are scripts in the survey).

I might redo it later when I get over being ticked off that I lost all my comments.
Wait, what? All comments? I also had scripts disabled* and I only redid the last page. The rest should have been kept... otherwise I submitted mostly garbage.

And making the email mandatory was a bad call.

*: I did the survery a couple of days ago but had to search for my login credentials to MR. I like to lurk, sorry.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #78
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm not sure if Jane will remember to post the results here, so I'll do it for her:
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...ts-and-winner/
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #79
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm not sure if Jane will remember to post the results here, so I'll do it for her:
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...ts-and-winner/
Interesting stuff!
Hopefully some proactive person will convert that excel to a webpage with graphs. I don't have powerpoint and the excel crashed my MS office.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #80
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

I'm taking a look at it now. I love playing with excel and don't mind cleaning it up.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #81
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Here's some data I've got so far:
423 said 18-25
469 said 26-30
757 said 31-39
638 said 40-49
335 said 50-59
82 said 60-69
6 said 70-79
2 said 80-89 (both are retired, thank goodness!)
1 said 90-99 (consultant as a career?)
11 said under 18

Great responses for how long they’ve been reading:
1968: "A fat cat sat on the flat mat." They don't write 'em like that anymore.
Since God was a boy
(General consensus here was pretty much since how long they could actually read)

2087 (again, out of 2724) read Romance (although this may be skewed since it was hosted by a romance blog)
2150 read Science Fiction/Fantasy
1774 read Mystery
2032 read General Fiction
1710 read Non Fiction

263 buy 11 or more new books a month
1312 buy 1 to 5
656 said 6-10
27 say they don’t buy new books
Someone put they “win books”

880 buy 1-5 USED books per month
221 buy 6-10
98 buy 11 or more

Out of 2724 responders:
2496 buy online (paper or digital)
2033 buy at brick and mortar
1201 buy at independent store
1536 buy at second hand bookstore
12 don’t buy books (one of these said they don’t buy new books, nor used books)

928 buy more ebooks than print books
1411 buy more print books than ebooks
342 buy roughly the same of each

2302 read ebooks, 341 don’t (81 blanks)

2318 know what DRM means (325 no, 81 blanks)

554 Prefer buying the ebook if the print is offered all of the time, 639 most of the time, 792 rarely, and 658 sometimes

1869 said ebooks are priced to high
28 said too low
746 said just right (81 blanks)

Complaints about ebooks
1355 – Cost
821 – Quality
1587 – Unable to share/borrow
375 – technical proficiency required to use
1020 – Selection
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #82
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

The most people would pay for an ebook:
42 said $30.99
46 said $25.99
195 said $19.99
485 said $15.99
1329 said 9.99
546 said $5.99

Would you pay more if you could share with friends?
584 said yes
1566 said No, because they don’t want to pay more to share
474 said no because they don’t share books with friends

822 said they would pay more if they could resell the ebook, 1809 said no.

1835 said they read on a desktop computer
526 sad Kindle
99 said nook
502 said Sony
120 said other eink device
649 said iPhone/iTouch
54 said Android
92 said Blackberry
310 said other handheld device
137 said other ebook reader

2089 bought their ebook reader themselves, 522 got it as a gift

OK i'm tired now...
Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #83
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Thank you for posting the results. I do plan to put together a PDF with pie charts but it will have to be after March.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #84
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Thank you for posting the results. I do plan to put together a PDF with pie charts but it will have to be after March.
I put together an autofilter on the spreadsheet, which will be fun to sort through the data and see if there's anything interesting for certain types of users. One thing I noticed last night was that all people who put librarian as their profession read on their desktop.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #85
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Huh. Only 586 (+171 blanks) have removed DRM from their purchases. Different audience as mentioned above? People not admitting it?

And there are a lot of Nulls for the question "I would reduce or eliminate my downloading of ebook files I have not paid for if one or more of the following events would take place". Lots are desktop users too. Correlation to the downloading of potentially illegal copies?

(Sorry for cherry-picking some of the results, lilac_jive. I just wanted to see if my replies survived NoScript [they did \o/] and couldn't help myself)

Last edited by Ramen; 03-02-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Typos... (It's 2:45 AM)
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #86
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
Huh. Only 586 (+171 blanks) have removed DRM from their purchases. Different audience as mentioned above? People not admitting it?

And there are a lot of Nulls for the question "I would reduce or eliminate my downloading of ebook files I have not paid for if one or more of the following events would take place". Lots are desktop users too. Correlation to the downloading of potentially illegal copies?

(Sorry for cherry-picking some of the results, lilac_jive. I just wanted to see if my replies survived NoScript [they did \o/] and couldn't help myself)
No one should ever be sorry for playing with data If I was looking at it right, a lot of nulls come from a cutoff somewhere in the middle. That might be some kind of error. It looks like they start around "Have you ever removed DRM?" 325 said no. Maybe those who don't know DRM kind of petered out there.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #87
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
I don't buy DRM, so I don't remove DRM from purchases. There may be many anti-DRM people who vote with their wallets.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #88
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing

I presume others left this blank, as I did, because they have never downloaded an ebook illegally.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote