Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #511
farfeduc
Kindle Addict
farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't wait 5 sec to scroll. Can you explain what you mean by swipe?
farfeduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #512
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
I'm ending up adding a new option to set/calibrate the swiping.
I'm still trying to decide which solution:

- mouse-style: choose the amount of time and space to detect a swipe gesture (in a prompt), then try it on a popup box. Komic will let you know if you just clicked or swiped. You can then save the setting or edit it again (try&error method)

-calibration-style: click 3(?) times on a popup box. Komic will calculate the average time and space and then apply a tolerance (the user can set it in percentage). This setting is used to detect a click; above those amounts, you're swiping.

Anyway, I want to rework the control in the readingJS.js to:
- use a single if to detect swipe/click: the if will be placed in the trackMouse(). In the mUp() I will check a boolean flag. I.E: if the first control starts a swipe action, then in the mUp I will refresh the page; on the contrary, I will trigger the singleclick
- use settings provided by the option and stored in the localstorage
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #513
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just some dinner thoughts...
I **could**:
- pack all the option in only one localStorage entry
- pack all the bookmarks for one comic in a more decent way inside the localStorage and provide a way to bind a description to a bookmark (when saving a bookmark, if the user provide a description, this could be displayed when jumping to)
- add some comic-dependent options

The last thing is, probably, the most interesting. It means the user can set some options and Komic will always use those option when opening the same comic.
Those options could be:
- orientation
- brightness and contrast
- refreshrate
- scroll amount (if in orientation = landscape)
- background color
- imageration ON or OFF

Anyway, don't expect anything soon!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #514
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You could perhaps use our "Developer's Summer Holiday from Kindle Hacking" excuse.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216300
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #515
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You could perhaps use our "Developer's Summer Holiday from Kindle Hacking" excuse.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216300
As I just started working, I'm the last in the organization chart...so no holiday for me!
But, as I'm a bit lazy, I could use the "Developer's Summer Holiday from Kindle Hacking" excuse anyhow!!
So, I'm on a "half" developer's summer holiday!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #516
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
As I just started working, I'm the last in the organization chart...so no holiday for me!
But, as I'm a bit lazy, I could use the "Developer's Summer Holiday from Kindle Hacking" excuse anyhow!!
So, I'm on a "half" developer's summer holiday!
Congratulations on the job.

Yeah, bottom of the org chart - you end up wading through all the things that nobody else was interested in doing.
The only good thought: It (being at the bottom) will not be forever.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #517
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Congratulations on the job.

Yeah, bottom of the org chart - you end up wading through all the things that nobody else was interested in doing.
The only good thought: It (being at the bottom) will not be forever.
Thanks!!!
ATM, it means I have a lot of time to study as I really don't know anything here.
I'm studying ASP.NET MVC 4 on a Apress manual...
I hope to become productive soon!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #518
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@silver18: If you're still using ImageMagick, my latest build (since 0.11) should be a bit faster, and much, much less memory hungry.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #519
silver18
THE NOOB

@NiLuJe: I added it to Komic but I didn't test it yet. If they improved the speed, this is going to be a huge plus!!!
Thanks a lot for your build and for sharing with me!

Calibration option is working and seems to be pretty solid.
I decided to make the user touch 3 times a popup box following some instructions.
Every touch stores the delay in time and space between mousedown & mouseup then Komic calculates the average.
The swipe gesture is then activated ONLY if the user is moving his finger on the screen for more than the time/space stored before (plus a 10% tolerance). Otherwise, the gesture is interpreted as a touch.
I tried it last evening and it seems to work fine.
Moreover, the user can re-calibrate the gesture detection engine to suit its needings.

I just need to play around with CSS (I hate it!) to make it nicer.

NEXT: JSON for bookmarks and options (to be honest, I wanted to move options in a separate db but I always get a security error: it seems I can't create db on client-side)
NEXT: jqgrid for bookmarks and deletions pages

V2.3 will be release in the near (hope so) future and, ATM, users will have to readd manually bookmarks and options as the JSON-thing is going to be a huge change.

PaperWhite support will still be last in my list as I can't really assure you anything about the compatibility.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #520
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@silver18: Well, there were some upstream changes (you might want to check if some options changed behavior), sure, but mostly I just configured the build differently, it's now a bit less versatile, but much more Kindle friendly . [Switched from quantum-depth 16 to 8, which means we lose precision if we ever have to process 16bit-depth PNG files, but that's not a common sight, at least for what we're doing, and used the iPhone codepath for the dithering algorithm. Long story short, for the rescale+dither workflow, I went from 167MB of total allocs w/ a peak at 64MB to 30MB of total allocs w/ a peak at 4MB, and it's probably around 10-20% faster.]
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #521
silver18
THE NOOB

I'll try it asap with the debordering feature which is the most memory-eager one.
It took ages with the previous build!
I'll let you know something!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #522
silver18
THE NOOB

Here are two screenshots.
The first one shows the calibration option (last one).
The last one shows the calibration box at the end of the process.
In the upper part is says "Calibration done!" while the last row shows average values.
Spoiler:

Sorry but I didn't have time to switch language!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_07_17T21_36_04+0159.png
Views:	314
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	108330   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_07_17T21_36_14+0159.png
Views:	264
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	108331  
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #523
silver18
THE NOOB

Exclamation

As I'm trying to make Komic faster and lighter, could you please answer this superfast poll?
Those are the features I don't use so often (read never), so they could be expendables...
I just would like to know what do you think!
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #524
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
As I'm trying to make Komic faster and lighter, could you please answer this superfast poll?
Those are the features I don't use so often (read never), so they could be expendables...
I just would like to know what do you think!
Thanks!
Thanks for your votes!

Ok, so automatic page turner is on its way to the bin!
It's a shame that zoom buttons & scroll arrows are being used by someone...
I'll try to provide the pinch-to-zoom to replace them (this means using a single landing page + content window).

And now, for something completely different (), I'm going to refactoring all the code to help the garbage collection...

Summing up: V2.3stable is being postponed again!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #525
silver18
THE NOOB

Some news....
I completely revisited bookmarks and options.
Thanks to JSON, now options uses only one entry in localStorage.

1) You can enter a bookmark description (if you want) when saving one.
If you save a bookmark using autosave or quick save, then it skips this step adding a default description ("Autosave" or "Quick save").

2) Bookmark menu is dynamic:

- Add bookmark is grayed out if the page already has a bookmark
- Jump to bookmark is grayed out if the comic doesn't have any bookmark
- Remove bookmark is grayed out if the page isn't bookmarked

All the code has been reworked to improve the performance.
Everything will be minified in the release (src will be non-minified!)

Next: rework the deletions, add pinch-to-zoom, revisit shell scripts.

In the meanwhile: does anybody know a JSON parser to be used in shell scripting?
Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_08_07T22_36_20+0159.png
Views:	218
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	109071   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_08_07T22_34_07+0159.png
Views:	217
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	109072