Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
redryder
redryder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ipod 4G battery life for reading

Hi all,

My kids have hijacked my Ipad, and I can no longer take it with me for business trips.

I was thinking of buying an ipod touch primarily for reading ebooks on the go and facetime. I had an ipod touch 2G which had terrible battery life when using ibooks. Can anyone give me an indication of the battery life in the 4th gen device?

Assuming wifi turned off, brightness at mid level, how many hours can I read on it?

Edit - I won't get an ipad 2, I'd rather wait till the retina display comes with ipad 3.

Last edited by redryder; 03-15-2011 at 02:29 AM.
redryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Buy the kids an iPod 4G and take back the iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
redryder
redryder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, I could do that.

But the Ipod 4G has facetime, which is a big plus for me when I'm on business travel. And I like having an ipod in my pocket so that I can read anywhere, the ipad isn't that portable.
redryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
How much do you read per one time?
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've owned the ipod touch 1G, 2G and 4G. They all have sucky battery life. I've never actually timed my 4G, but I think you would be lucky to get 3 hours out of it under the conditions you described. Unlike the iPhones, the touches have a small battery. The retina display is awesome though! If you are going to use it a lot you might need an add-on battery case which will drive the price up.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Isn't three hours enough of reading books for one day? Or at least having a short period of break to load the iPod Touch?

Or are people so lonely they have nothing better to do than read? I'm just curious...
Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
Isn't three hours enough of reading books for one day? Or at least having a short period of break to load the iPod Touch?

Or are people so lonely they have nothing better to do than read? I'm just curious...
I wouldn't read that long on the touch as the screen is too tiny. But being a highly educated person I read 4 or 5 books a week. Not comic books are dimestore fiction, I read non-fiction such as history, science, technical manuals, etc. Perhaps in your generation playing games is more important than anything else, but for me I read a lot and always have. I had to in my profession and I still do in retirement. The reading keeps me head above most in intelligence, and I'm damn proud of that.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
spaze
Addict

I play with my children, do household work and spend time with my friends and go to work. If I have time, I read about one hour a day if even that.

Your statement about my generation is as lame as me saying that perhaps in your generation it was most important for a man to sit down and read books instead of being a father.

I was just wondering how can someone have so much time to read, thats all. I'm all for reading and I'm jealous of those people who can read entire book in one day, like my wife.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I read on the iPhone(s) for years (yay Stanza!), but must admit that, once I got an iPad, I just don't enjoy the small screen anymore, despite the portability. And not just reading books, but browsing as well. It spoiled me Not even sure if I need a smartphone at this point.

My point being-it is a joy to go from the iPhone size to the iPad...less so going back ;p
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I usually have 'night mode' set, even for daytime reading. I think this should conserve some power over normal 'white background' with LED backlit screens - but haven't attempted to benchmark it.

In any case, I rarely read 3 hours a day on my iPT so it's not normally a problem unless I forget to turn off wifi.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I usually have 'night mode' set, even for daytime reading. I think this should conserve some power over normal 'white background' with LED backlit screens - but haven't attempted to benchmark it.

In any case, I rarely read 3 hours a day on my iPT so it's not normally a problem unless I forget to turn off wifi.
Even with WiFi off my 4G eats up the battery fairly fast and I usually have the backlight turned way down. But if you read less than 3 hours per day on it you should be okay. You can always take a charger or use the USB port on a laptop to charge it a bit if necessary.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I am guessing you are talking about 4th gen not 4G internet service?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I am guessing you are talking about 4th gen not 4G internet service?
Yes, the 4th generation iPod Touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, the 4th generation iPod Touch.
I respectfully disagree on the battery life of the Ipod Touch. I use mine all day long including book reading and the battery easily lasts all day. Granted I am not using it constantly but easily an hour or so at a time from web reading, to ebook reading. Apple claims up to 40 hours of audio or 7 hours of video. Frankly I notice I loose about 10% an hour on average and for me it comparable to my ipad in battery drain. Just my experience.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote