Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
demilich
demilich began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
pdf conversion problems.. Help!

Hello. Im using an iPhone 2g with stanza v2.1 and calibre v 6.40 to manage my library. Now, most of my books are in pdf format. As much as i would like to retain the file type (and formatting), i've found that stanza does not detect the pdf which i've added to Calibre. Which has led me to convert the files to ePub. However, i have been experiencing some problems with the pdf to ePub conversion namely missing text, continuous paragraphs and no index. I've even tried converting the pdf to .htm using mobipocket converter and then subsequently converting the file to ePub with calibre. This process has yielded the best result so to speak, but the index of the book is lost and some absence in spacing between sentences. Is it possible to transfer the pdf file to the iphone/stanza? Or should i change my reader instead?

Thanks
demilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Stanza does not support PDF files directly - as you surmised you need to convert to Epub. PDF to Epub conversion is always a bit hit-and-miss. Calibre is meant to soon have a better PDF conversion engine - that might help with some of your issues.

As to changing your reader - I have found that PDF files on the iPhone are never that good. This is because PDF is not a re-flowable format so all that can be done is zoom in/out. On the iPad (when it is available) this is likely to be a different issue because of the larger screen size.

A number of the current e-reader devices can make a tolerable display of PDF files if you are thinking of a dedicated reader device.

Last edited by itimpi; 02-14-2010 at 07:02 AM.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
PDF is not a re-flowable format so all that can be done is zoom in/out.
I'm not that familiar with the details of PDF formats, but one of my PDF readers (Foxit) has a reflowable option that can be turned on, at least for some PDF files. I've seen it flowing text on some files. Do you know if that reflowable capability is built into the way the PDF file is created, or does it do it the same way that calibre does - by converting the PDF internally and reflowing the display?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote