Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
monsieurms
monsieurms began at the beginning.

Device: palm 680
big book--how to break up

Hi--I have a huge ebook. 36 megs uncompressed!

WHile it is a nice omnibus, I'd like to break it up.

So, I converted it to HTML, which kept occasional images and table of contents hyperlinks intact, and opened it in WORD, and it comes out with html coding, not as text that is easy to copy and select. Took a long time to load, but that wasn't the primary problem.

Next, I tried Front Page. FP wouldn't load it at all for some reason.

It opened in Notepad, but again with coding.

Any suggestions on how best to go about this?
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One would to do it would be to make several copies of the original file, and then erase the unwanted content (using a text editor) from each copy. Eg, if you wanted to split it into three, make three copies, and edit each: keep the first third in one copy, the middle third in the second copy, and the final third in the last copy. Obviously you'd also need to erase the irrelevant portions of any table of contents, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you might try using sigil instead of word, etc. ; in the book view, you won't see the code, but the formatted text.

if your html is currently all one flow, to break up the book, you might want to try inserting a page break manually wherever you want to make a new file. when you're done inserting breaks, save your book as an epub file. then, modify the extension of the .epub to .zip and extract all the files in one folder. hypothetically, you *should* end up with one .xhtml file for each book, which you can then import individually into sigil and export as individual epub files after you make any other necessary modifications.

if this doesn't work (i'm not sure whether sigil will automatically split a file which is too large), you there is always the cut and paste method.

let us know which method you use and how it works for you.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
monsieurms
monsieurms began at the beginning.

Device: palm 680
Thanks for the tips--I'll play with it some..
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(i'm not sure whether sigil will automatically split a file which is too large)
Sigil doesn't do that. It never will do it automatically, but it will some day perform flow size checks and warn the user if some files cross the magical 300k limit. And even then, the user will be able to permanently dismiss the warning.

Automatically splitting the files is a bad idea for an editor, since a flow split causes a page break. Only the user knows where he wants those to appear in his books.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
You could try OpenOffice.org. You can edit the HTML document like any other word processing file, and you can also see the underlying code if you choose. Also, you can have it clean up the HTML code a bit by setting the HTML version. I have mine set to save HTML documents in HTML version 2.3, and when I edit the document it does a good job of cleaning up and simplifying the HTML code.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Sigil doesn't do that. It never will do it automatically, but it will some day perform flow size checks and warn the user if some files cross the magical 300k limit. And even then, the user will be able to permanently dismiss the warning.

Automatically splitting the files is a bad idea for an editor, since a flow split causes a page break. Only the user knows where he wants those to appear in his books.
that is excellent to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
You could try OpenOffice.org. You can edit the HTML document like any other word processing file, and you can also see the underlying code if you choose. Also, you can have it clean up the HTML code a bit by setting the HTML version. I have mine set to save HTML documents in HTML version 2.3, and when I edit the document it does a good job of cleaning up and simplifying the HTML code.
hm, i didn't know you could edit and filter html code with open office. i use that for text documents but i had never thought of using it for code.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I use OpenOffice to divide up a big rtf file by selecting the chunk I want, doing a copy, and then opening a new html document, and pasting my copy into it. Then I save it with a new name, and away I go. It should work starting with an html file as well. I'll have to find that html 2.3 option and see if that cleans things up some more.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, i didn't know you could edit and filter html code with open office. i use that for text documents but i had never thought of using it for code.
It's fairly easy. In an HTML document you can select "View" >> "HTML Source" and it will show you the underlying code. You are also able to edit it.

As far as cleaning the code, you can select different versions of HTML: HTML 3.2, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, and Writer. When you first view the HTML file, it leaves the code unchanged. But when you make a change to the document, it automatically cleans up the code to match the version of HTML you choose. To force it to clean up the code, I insert a space and then delete that space.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote