Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #46
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
As others have said, the ADE page numbers tend to be fairly close (+/-10%) to the page numbering in the paper versions of the same books. For instance, in the book I'm reading now, the chapter I'm on starts on page 429. Looking up the same book in Google Books shows that the chapter starts on page 434 in the print edition. Close enough for me!
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #47
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Word count would seem to be the best of all suggestions, since it's usually available. Many publishers, including Fictionwise, list it, since it's often tied to payment. As to sizes and nomenclatures:

SFWA Nebula Award Categories:
Novel — 40,000 words or more
Novella — 17,500–39,999 words
Novelette — 7,500–17,499 words
Short Story — 7,499 words or fewer

As an aside: Flash Fiction <750 words (or 1000 or 300 or ...)

Note that 40,000 words is short for a novel nowadays. Some wrist rupturing megavolumes turgid with the author's inviolable prose approach 300,000 words.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #48
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Actually, it's not so much the length of the book that I find absent in ebooks, it's the length of chapters. It's nice to put a book down at chapter breaks and I find it impossible to know if I have to fight off sleep for another minute or two or an hour when I'm readying an ebook. It's dead easy to flip ahead and eye-ball a chapter break with a paper book. It would be nice if ebooks had some sort of progress bar for chapters.

BTW, it would also be nice if the spell checker on a forum about ebooks would stop trying to correct the spelling of ebook!
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #49
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrh View Post
BTW, it would also be nice if the spell checker on a forum about ebooks would stop trying to correct the spelling of ebook!
The forum has a spill chucker?
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #50
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrh View Post
Actually, it's not so much the length of the book that I find absent in ebooks, it's the length of chapters. It's nice to put a book down at chapter breaks and I find it impossible to know if I have to fight off sleep for another minute or two or an hour when I'm readying an ebook. It's dead easy to flip ahead and eye-ball a chapter break with a paper book. It would be nice if ebooks had some sort of progress bar for chapters.
When I want to find out how many more pages are in the chapter, I bump out to the TOC and see where the next chapter starts. From there, just hit the Menu key and the Continue Reading button (this is the sequence on the 505, not sure about other readers). It takes maybe 5 to 10 seconds--a tiny bit longer than it would take to flip through the paper book to find the end of the chapter.
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #51
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
The forum has a spill chucker?
I think he's talking about the spell checker in his browser.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #52
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I think he's talking about the spell checker in his browser.
Nope, there is a spellchecker on the forums, if you reply to a thread, there is in the upper right corner of the editwindow a check mark with abc over it. That says "Check spelling" if you hover over it
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Not with me, so you must have a plugin!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No_Spellchecker_here.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	35257  

Last edited by Sweetpea; 09-01-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added proof
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #54
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

Maybe it's a browser-specific thing? I don't get it in Firefox on the Mac. *shrug*
Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #55
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
... I can't think of any other alternative besides word count, and that seems to incredibly unsatisfying and aesthetically crude. It reminds me too much of school days...
That was my same impression the first time I saw the word count and expected time of reading (ETR) associated with eBooks. But after seeing it for some time, I've found I rather like that method. It's consisten across book and it also tells me about how long I should take to read the eBook.

Its a far more accurate measurement than page numbers of a paper books, where one knew the approx length only from experience, yet this was not very accurate because page numbers changed based on font size and margins.

With word count/ETR that is a fixed value that will be consistent across books.

Just my 2 cents.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #56
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Nice thoughts. I don't pay attention the size of the book, but I do for the chapter. As Superlucky I like to know if I should start a new chapter or wait for the next day.

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #57
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
I totally understand how you could feel way that, even though I'm completely different. I'm the kind of person who pages ahead (trying to avoid reading any words that would spoil what's coming up) just because I wonder how many pages are left before the end of a CHAPTER. Now that's something I'd like to be able to turn on in an e-book reader: a CHAPTER progress meter.

I expect I'm practically alone on this.
The Kindle DX does have a chapter indicator and I love it, because I do the same thing as Zero9.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #58
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
I often check on amazon the book's paperback version page count. Also, if the font is standard, I check the number of pages on my Sony reader. An average length novel (300-400 pages in paperback) will be around 600 pages on my Sony. Longer novels are around 1000-1500 pages long. The Pillars of the Earth is 2258 pages long on my reader.

I googled about the word count in books and found out that amazon sometimes has a text stats page (search for "text stats" on the book page). Click here for an example.

Oh and the number of characters would be even more accurate than the number of words to describe a book's length (what if someone decides to write a book using only lengthy words?!). Sorry, I'm an engineer .
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #59
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I guess the problem I've always had with page numbering in a fiction ebook is that if I'm so bored by the story that I feel compelled to discover just how far I've read and how far it is to the next chapter - then that's a good sign the story isn't worth the read.

There are far too many GOOD novels out there which suck me into the story deeply enough that I don't even really notice what chapter I'm on. And with all these great reads out there, I don't have time to waste on a story that doesn't reach that level.

Now if you want to talk about non-fiction books and page-numbering, well, the situation is completely different!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #60
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I read junk for pleasure. A large minority is written badly. I like being able to judge how far I have left, to see if I can hold my nose and finish. I have actually been pleasantly surprised a couple times in my life, so I feel obligated to finish every book I start. Of course, I have a huge number of books I have started, just like knitting projects that don't stop me from starting something new.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote