Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
"Pick Random Book" - not so random??

Greetings,

I've started using the "Pick Random Book" function within Calibre. But I've found that it's not really selecting the books randomly.

I used this function to select the last book I read, but now as I use this function again to pick my next book, it selects the book I've just read again, then using it again, it keeps picking the same books that I cycled through the time before - almost like it's picking say...book 10, book 23, book 37 - and then using the same sequence again. I doubt it's structured like this, but that's what it seems to be doing.

Is there such a thing as a random regex string that I can save as a search, that uses a specific view (eg R2R (One of my custom sort views))

Last edited by Chris_Snow; 09-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
Greetings,

I've started using the "Pick Random Book" function within Calibre. But I've found that it's not really selecting the books randomly.

I used this function to select the last book I read, but now as I use this function again to pick my next book, it selects the book I've just read again, then using it again, it keeps picking the same books that I cycled through the time before - almost like it's picking say...book 10, book 23, book 37 - and then using the same sequence again. I doubt it's structured like this, but that's what it seems to be doing.

Is there such a thing as a random regex string that I can save as a search, that uses a specific view (eg R2R (One of my custom sort views))
restart calibre and see if the pattern changes.

Many Random number generators start with a seed (which may persist for the session). Same seed, same pattern.

Since I use the PARB to select the next to read, I have a search (filter) not #read <= my fieldname
Now it chooses from what shows, not from the whole Library

BTW I had not noticed any pattern, but I might have a few more books, so it is less obvious
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Just ran about 50 "Read a random book". Seems pretty random to me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Thx for the input.

The weird thing here is that my last selection using PARB made a selection. I chose that book, but as an alternative, I ran PARB a couple more times and it made secondary selections. Now, after reading that first selection, I used PARB and it chose the book I'd just read again. SO I ran it again and it chose the 2nd book the same as the first time I ran it...and the 3rd etc.

More than a week has passed and Calibre has been restarted (in fact upgraded) since then, so this is a strange ""Coincidence??""

I think when I started PARB again, nothing was selected in the view, but subsequent use had an item selected. With an item selected, I now seem to be getting random returns. Anyone seen Gremlins
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote