Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Request/Question: Random Book

Is there a way I can make the "Pick Random Book" option under "Libraries" a standalone button in the tool bar? If not, would you consider making that an option?

I actually just noticed it for the first time, about a week or so ago, as I don't really use the Library drop-down menu very often. I think it is a wonderful idea, and would love to have it openly available.

Please & Thank you.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure, it's doable, open a ticket for it so I don't forget (Note that in 0.7.50 it's also under the View menu)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you!

Um, when I went to make a "Wish List" report, I was asked to create an account for something called Launch Pad. Is that the only way?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thank you!

Um, when I went to make a "Wish List" report, I was asked to create an account for something called Launch Pad. Is that the only way?
Yes
That is the main 'Tracker' site for many Open Source projects.
Once you have a account, tou can file a Bug report or Suggestion.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
nickdma
Enthusiast
nickdma began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Is there a way I can make the "Pick Random Book" option under "Libraries" a standalone button in the tool bar? If not, would you consider making that an option?
I supposse I should go add a request as well, but I thought it would be nice if this also worked while a device was connected. I like to use it to pick books to send to device.

It would also be cool if it had a similar "pick random series" function.
nickdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I must confess this random book feature is a function I would never use - why would I want to have it choose for me what ends up being book 3 in a trilogy for instance?

Your suggestion of a "random series" sounds a bit more "practical". To each their own of course and loads of stuff I have created as plugins that others will have no use for. My backlog is too immense with so many "high priority" ones to read to let randomness decide my reading order
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found a different use for the feature:

Which book to Clean-up Edit next.
(I have a filter: Needs edit which shows books that have a blank #edited date)

BTW what is the search syntax for a tri-state T-F field to return blank or No (#ok_fc:false only returns blanks)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BTW what is the search syntax for a tri-state T-F field to return blank or No (#ok_fc:false only returns blanks)
From the manual:
Quote:
Yes/no custom columns are searchable. Searching for false, empty, or blank will find all books with undefined values in the column. Searching for true will find all books that do not have undefined values in the column. Searching for yes or checked will find all books with Yes in the column. Searching for no or unchecked will find all books with No in the column.
Yes, it is strange that searching for 'true' will find 'false'. However, 'true' searches mean find *any* value, and 'false' is a value...

EDIT: A direct answer to the question: not #ok_fc:yes

Last edited by chaley; 03-27-2011 at 01:39 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

thanks
The one combination that I did not try
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdma View Post
I supposse I should go add a request as well, but I thought it would be nice if this also worked while a device was connected. I like to use it to pick books to send to device.

It would also be cool if it had a similar "pick random series" function.
Yes, please do, especially as I have yet to make a report for the original request. "Pick random series" is a wonderful idea and would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I must confess this random book feature is a function I would never use - why would I want to have it choose for me what ends up being book 3 in a trilogy for instance?

Your suggestion of a "random series" sounds a bit more "practical". To each their own of course and loads of stuff I have created as plugins that others will have no use for. My backlog is too immense with so many "high priority" ones to read to let randomness decide my reading order
That is why I have a list of "Standalone" books! I used a Saved Search for anything with an empty "Series" field, therefore avoiding the problem.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Nyssa - fair play, that would indeed make more sense. Still not enough for me to use it of course, but that's fine, that you like it is great
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Nyssa - fair play, that would indeed make more sense. Still not enough for me to use it of course, but that's fine, that you like it is great

I don't really have a "High priority" TBR list. Most of those are still on my wish list waiting to be purchased. What I do have is a ton of "hey that looks interesting, and its free" or "I've never read a [insert genre here], and its free" books, so reading order isn't quite as important to me, as yet.

But hey, if my friends and family throw a few gift cards my way, for my birthday, that will all change.