Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #16
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
These are the reasons that I don't code anymore.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #17
silkcom
silkcom began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
It just seems to me that If I can create an editor that goes directly to LRS then I would be sure that it shows up the way I want it too. That's my reasoning. Then I can use lrs2lrf to convert it, and no problems with converting stuff. I've had my share of problems with the different python converters.

I've been looking through this LRS document, and it doesn't seem any worse than HTML?. And if I create a Java library for writing LRS then I know that it's the quality I would like.
silkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
LRS contains no semantic information. Even vanilla html contains header tags and tags like <em> <strong> <li> etc. And with CSS you can make HTML fully semantic. LRS on the other hand is purely layout oriented. And not very capable at that.

There is no cross platform implementation of lrs2lrf though making one shouldn't be difficult.

If you have problems with existing converters why not help improve them?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #19
silkcom

I'm more than willing, but I'm really a Java man. I don't know python, and yours seems to be the best, except that it's in python. But I would be willing to help, how does one help with the libprs stuff?

On the other side though I would prefer for the whole thing to also be done in Java. I've seen that you've said that having both isn't a good idea, but I think that it brings more programmers.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well far be it from me to stop you. Personally, I found python a remarkably easy language to pick up, so I encourage people to dive in. But then I'm still young enough to find learning a new language exciting :-)

If you want to help with libprs500, there are instructions at https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/Development

You can always contact me if you have questions.
Advert
Old 09-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #21
silkcom

What are the chances of our being able to make the PDF to HTML more powerful? Is that a limitation with some library? It completely removes all forms of formatting (not acceptable with the documents I'm reading rasterfarian works better).

I have your code, and have started to look through it. What development environment options do I have with python and windows?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

libprs500 relies on the pdftohtml library to first convert pdf to html and then process it. I'm afraid that pdftohtml already works as well as Adobe's own PDF to HTML conversion, so I doubt it can be improved more without considerable effort, but you're welcome to try.

I'd recommend eclipse + pydev since you're coming from the java world.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
silkcom

Anyone else willing to play with PDF to HTML to make it better?? It really needs to keep as much formatting as possible (without being ridiculous). So that the books can be converted and still look basically the same.

Significant effort, but when we're done we'll have an actual solution. As of now, the PDF to HTML is worthless to me.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #24
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Incidentally most of the LRS Spec, as well as the conversion from LRS->LRF (which is not documented by SONY) is defined through an object library pylrs, which is part of libprs500.
PyLRS is actually a separate library mainly developed by Falstaff and later on incorporated into many projects (libprs500 and pdfread being some examples). All of them have made some (relatively minor) tweaks to the original. Credit where credit is due
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure, I didn't mean to steal credit. There's also an implemetation of lrf2lrs which was first developed by roxfan and igorsk but that is also maintained as part of libprs500 by me.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #26
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
It would be nice if there was an LRS viewer written in C so that LRS formatted files could be viewed in Linux and on other mobile platforms.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm actually writing a LRF viewer, but it's going to be in python.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #28
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm actually writing a LRF viewer, but it's going to be in python.
Maybe that will be good enough... Python is at least partially work on the iLiad.

I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #29
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
is there a way to compile python into a native executable on platforms other than windows? I have only used python because the native scripting facilities in windows are to unintuitive, and pearl made me want to cry.
Long live the interpreted languages, strongly typed, and otherwise (I love java and python)
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #30
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You know a python-to-native compiler for windows? The closest I know is psyco and it's more like a JIT than a compiler.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote