Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #631
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I would suggest a quick and dirty test to make sure that changing the KF8 EXTH data in the hybrid mobi/KF8 even has the desired effect on Kindle devices (when unsplit).

With regard to the PDOC/EBOK cdetype (EXTH 501), there would need to not only be a way to change the record but also to add the record entirely. Because so far as I can tell, Kindlegen/Previewer doesn't create the 501 EXTH record in the output it creates in the first place. That record doesn't get added until delivery from Amazon to a user's device.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #632
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I would suggest a quick and dirty test to make sure that changing the KF8 EXTH data in the hybrid mobi/KF8 even has the desired effect on Kindle devices (when unsplit).

With regard to the PDOC/EBOK cdetype (EXTH 501), there would need to not only be a way to change the record but also to add the record entirely. Because so far as I can tell, Kindlegen/Previewer doesn't create the 501 EXTH record in the output it creates in the first place. That record doesn't get added until delivery from Amazon to a user's device.
Diap:

Clarify for me: why are we doing this in the first place? I don't mean to be dense, and admittedly just skimmed over most of this, but...what's the point?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #633
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
EDIT:
In files created by KindleGen all three are empty.
Correction: in files created by Kindlegen, all three records are non-existent.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #634
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Diap:

Clarify for me: why are we doing this in the first place? I don't mean to be dense, and admittedly just skimmed over most of this, but...what's the point?

Hitch
I think we're away from Kindle(Mobi)Unpack now and discussing a separate (and new) tool. My understanding is that it would simply make personal, Kindlegen created output not look like personal, created content (i.e ugly cover) on certain Kindle devices.

Basically, a meta-data tweaker capable of modifying specific KF8 EXTH records (which would be in the second header after the MOBI7 header) in Kindlegen's dual-format output.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #635
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think we're away from Kindle(Mobi)Unpack now and discussing a separate (and new) tool. My understanding is that it would simply make personal, Kindlegen created output not look like personal, created content (i.e ugly cover) on certain Kindle devices.

Basically, a meta-data tweaker capable of modifying specific KF8 EXTH records (which would be in the second header after the MOBI7 header) in Kindlegen's dual-format output.
Ooooooooooooohkay. I don't think I've ever used the PDS, so I suspect I don't "get" the idea, or the purpose. This is all to save something from having an ugly cover on the bookshelf--is that right? I cannot think of another distinction, other than the destination folder, for a PDOC over a book?

Hitch
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #636
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This is all to save something from having an ugly cover on the bookshelf--is that right?
That is my understanding. Yes.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #637
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
That is my understanding. Yes.
Yep. That is correct.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #638
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

We should probably get a new thread going for this discussion and/or proposed tool.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #639
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Okay created a "Need for a dual mobi metadata tweaker" thread to move this discussion to.

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #640
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Hey, does anybody remember the script that could take the output from mobiunpack (or mobi2html, I forget) and process all the inline styling and put it into a simple external style file and output the cleaned-up html?

I remember it vividly (and remember using it), but I can't find it anywhere, or remember what it was called.

EDIT: Well, after a very nostalgic romp through the 3 year comments section of a certain "New Blog" (alliances made, friendships forged, achievement unlocked), I found the name of the script: "mobiml2xhtml.py." Now to see if I can find a copy on local storage or online.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #641
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
has anyone taken a look at the AZK format that is now being used on the iOS devices and readers from Amazon? The Previewer 2.9.2 will make one of those if you select an iOS device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 AM   #642
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
has anyone taken a look at the AZK format that is now being used on the iOS devices and readers from Amazon? The Previewer 2.9.2 will make one of those if you select an iOS device.

Dale
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yes. I have. Don't get me started on that bloody thing.

Hitch
Old 12-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #643
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yes. I have. Don't get me started on that bloody thing.

Hitch
Ummm.. but has anyone looked at the internals? Presumably it's another variant on the Palm Database/Mobipocket format?

(I don't have time at the moment. Perhaps in the New Year.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #644
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Ummm.. but has anyone looked at the internals? Presumably it's another variant on the Palm Database/Mobipocket format?

(I don't have time at the moment. Perhaps in the New Year.)
I haven't dug that far into it. Ditto on the New Year. I'm just irritated about the whole "other format" thing, it's ludicrous. I have yet to see any difference between the mobis we make, on the iPad reader (K4iPad) and the AZK files. It just seems like a lot of extra steps for very little gain.

Hitch
Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #645
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
I have a bit. It is a zip archive. Inside you will find gzipped json pieces and scripts and something that looks like the skeleton and fragments found in KF8 mobi internals. Basically the skeletons are the file frameworks and the fragments are json objects. The proper fragment for where the user is reading seems to be loaded on demand using a javascript.

So it appears to be an html5 based web application container. Try renaming the .azk to .zip, unzipping it and then gunzipping the gzipped json object files. Looks like fun!

I gave up at that point as I simply did not care enough about things. I am sure it is related to the skeletons and fragments found in the KF8.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-19-2013 at 04:33 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote