Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: What is the greatest threat to the publishing industry?
The Publishers 47 53.41%
Tower of eBable (too many formats is confusing) 31 35.23%
Content not available 30 34.09%
High prices 36 40.91%
Pirates 4 4.55%
DRM 45 51.14%
Geographical restrictions 24 27.27%
Other (please specify in a message) 4 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Let me break it down
ooks that never see hardcover

Pirates 1 3.85%
no one goes from buying books to piracy. instead try to get pirates to go to buying stuff by making things cheap and easy. you wont win them all though.

"no one"?

That is definitely wrong. Plenty of people will now that publishers are refusing to sell to them.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Right now I would say DRM and geographical restrictions. Everything that fragment the market and complicate the life of customers.

I would say piracy is for most peoples a consequence of DRM and of Geographical restrictions. For example, here in Mexico, Itunes just launched in August 2009. It's main competitor launched in 2009 too. Piracy is rampant and people now had several years to get used to it, as MP3 players have been selling here since ages like in every part of the world.

I hope the publishers don't make the same mistake, that is : watching ebook reading devices becoming popular without putting up a decent legal offer.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #18
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm redoing the poll since the original poll wasn't setup quite right (IMHO).
It's still a little weak in that the question asks "What is the greatest threat to the publishing industry?" and the right answer is not among the choices.

GREED!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I voted for High Prices.

When online CD retailers have a sale, they are swamped with orders. Yet for years the music industry has said that no one wants to buy their product when it can be obtained for free via piracy. It seems clear to me that the list price of CDs is too high.

I think this is also true with eBooks. The publishers invest their money in copyrighted works, not public domain works. The no-charge pd books can be compared to the pirated downloads of CDs. There are only so many hours in the day, and if people are devoting time to books or music they obtained for free, they will not have the time to devote to enjoying what the industry is selling for big bucks.

Even with the DRM and format confusion, I think that if the publishers charged for an eBook only 25% of the list price of the corresponding hardcopy paper book, they would find that they will make their money in volume.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
I'm going to go with other and say that it is 'Less than 5% of people under the age of 30 read anything that isn't required.'
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert