Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #16
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
Do yourself a favour and buy a paperwhite instead. Best front light display and contrast and really paper-white, by far, best software, by far, best touchscreen by far, best customer service, by far.

If you have to buy something from kobo and are willing to deal with the numerous "side effects" and frustrations go with the aura.
Yeah right...

Everyone even considering a PW should spend a few hours reading their forum here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209032

As annoying as Kobo's Software problems can be, it is possible to work around most of them and fix them manually. (sideload fonts with working italics fixing book css in sigil for better margins, etc.)
But a crappy screen with pink and green blotches remains a crappy screen. :P
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #17
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Yeah right...

Everyone even considering a PW should spend a few hours reading their forum here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209032

As annoying as Kobo's Software problems can be, it is possible to work around most of them and fix them manually. (sideload fonts with working italics fixing book css in sigil for better margins, etc.)
But a crappy screen with pink and green blotches remains a crappy screen. :P
I don't know why you 'd want to misinform people this way. Amazon's device had a few teething problems in the first couple of months (and it being amazon promptly replaced people's kindles on the slightest indication of a problem) but after that they have been excellent. I know plenty of people who have kpw's all with absolutely excellent screens. I am really not sure why you 'd like to perpetuate this rumor, which strangely enough is kept alive in these forums by certain parties and nowhere else.

And of course as far as answering to what I said point to point, posting a won't cut it.

Oh, and about kobo's software. You know how much time I 've spent debugging kindle's software, zero minutes. Boy would I love to spend half the time in these forums and with third party software to fix this, download that, sidestep the other for kobo to work.

It's a no contest between the two devices. It's night and day. And the reason I insist and take the time to point this out, is because I 've been burned before by mickey mouse players in the ebook reader world (of course not mickey mouse players making 4 billion in revenue, so I was a bit more lenient with them). And as soon as I got my kindle, I thought, boy would I have made such a huge mistake (again) to go with the perceived advantages of some extra storage from kobo, and I 'd have spent my time debugging the software instead of using it.

There's a huge buyer beware all over kobo devices. I would only suggest them to hobbyists. I am adamant about this.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
There's a huge buyer beware all over kobo devices. I would only suggest them to hobbyists. I am adamant about this.
How would you define a "hobbyist" in this context?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
How would you define a "hobbyist" in this context?
I guess as opposed to "professional Amazon publicist"...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I guess as opposed to "professional Amazon publicist"...
LOL
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
...I am adamant about this.
Yes, of course you are, however, in your eagerness to share your opinion, you failed to note that the OP didn't ask about your much beloved and unjustly maligned paperyellowishbluishpinkishwhite.

Perhaps you would find your exuberance more warmly welcomed in the 'which one should i buy' thread, where people tend to compare brands.

Never adamant, always UNANIMOUS.

Edited to remove quote of OP as to leave no doubt to whom my reply was directed.

Last edited by david_e; 04-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Do yourself a favour and buy a paperwhite instead. Best front light display and contrast and really paper-white, by far, best software, by far, best touchscreen by far, best customer service, by far.

If you have to buy something from kobo and are willing to deal with the numerous "side effects" and frustrations go with the aura.
I've seen the PW in person. With the light at it's lowest, the contrast is poor. The light has issues given how many have color blotches. As for the touchscreen, it's not the best. Best software, no it's not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Speaking as a Kobo Glo owner who hasn't had any hands on experience with much else:
  • It's super easy to move files on and off of the Glo. It's handled pretty much every file I've thrown at it.
  • A big bonus for me is that I can easily borrow books from our library using the Kobo (vs. Paperwhite).
  • Light is great; very even except for a little bit of shadowing right at the very bottom (which Kobo has cleverly hidden by putting a black bar at the bottom of the screen when the light is on).
  • So far I've had no huge problems; plenty of highlights & annotations in many books. Dictionaries could be a little stronger and it'd be nice if highlighting text was a tad quicker, nothing unbearable though.
  • There's some chinks in the armour when you're really playing around with it a bunch, and yes, I'll often come across a problem or two if I'm doing that. When you're doing what they were meant to do: reading, the experience is wonderful (save for the bumps with the 2.3.x firmware, but we're past that now).
  • I use it every single day and love it. Don't regret the purchase one bit. Calibre makes everything double great.
  • You'll see lots of arguing about the colour of the front light; on mine it can look like it has a slight blueish tinge or slight yellowish tinge depending on the ambient lighting. The fact that it can flip back and forth goes to show that it's actually relatively close to white. Mine is closer to white than a Paperwhite I played with once, and even when it looks a little blue to my eyes, it's not distracting in the least.

Even with some of the firmware hiccups, I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Glo to anyone who's interested, especially if you live outside the United States. It's a solid reader with a plethora of features. My experiences with Kobo have been good and it's been fun to go along for the ride and see the entire package slowly mature and become more robust, even over the past 6 months.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #24
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Speaking as a Kobo Glo owner who hasn't had any hands on experience with much else:

(snip)

Even with some of the firmware hiccups, I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Glo to anyone who's interested, especially if you live outside the United States. It's a solid reader with a plethora of features. My experiences with Kobo have been good and it's been fun to go along for the ride and see the entire package slowly mature and become more robust, even over the past 6 months.
I agree. The Kobo Touch was a solid reader, the Glo is better because it has the light and the higher resolution. It's definitely worth the extra cost.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #25
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I love mine. I have moved the bulk of my reading to the Glo. Never used the Sony this much. Still using the iphone for the 15 mins before sleeping.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #26
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Am thinking about getting a Kobo Glo. I use their app on my iPad and Iphone and am very pleased with the way it syncs the two. I've used the Sony 505 and now the T1 but neither of them synced. Also, the Glo shows you how many pages left in the chapter; a feature I really like.

Would appreciate and thoughts on this.

The KOBO hardware is really nice. The firmware though is of questionable quality. Have a look at some threads here and decide whether you are willing tolerate the bugs and ergonomic inconveniences mentioned. Depending on the way you want to use the device and the functions/features that are important to you, you might be completely happy with a KOBO or you might end up being constantly annoyed by some issues.

One caveat: Do not buy a KOBO expecting that any bug will get fixed in the near future. They have a tradition not to release bug fixes but rather new firmware versions sporting a combination of (some) bug fixes with new features and new (and some old, re-appearing) bugs.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #27
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@guma, excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've seen the PW in person. With the light at it's lowest, the contrast is poor. The light has issues given how many have color blotches. As for the touchscreen, it's not the best. Best software, no it's not.
ok, let's get a few things straight here:

a. With the light at it's lowest the contrast is as good as any eink screen of this generation. Nothing against amazon there. With a light at any other setting amazon has the best contrast and the closest to paper in screen qualityof any device on the market.

b. The light does not have any issues whatsoever. Unless of course you have performed a product survey and would like to provide us with the results. The teething problems amazon had with the first month's batch of devices where quickly sorted out. Anyone can verify this with the latest reviews on the site. And it was never an issue anyway because amazon has a great customer service that you can keep sending kindles back until you had a good one. It does a huge disservice to other users who are looking to make up their minds to perpetuate this myth.

c. Touchscreen. I agree it's not the best, it's by far the best. It's a proper capacitive touch screen, not infrared, with fully integrated pinch to zoom, double tap to zoom features. It's extremely responsive and it makes for the easiest selection and highlighting of text out of any devices. Anyone can check a side by side video of kobo and kindle doing text selection. If in your opinion of course it's not the best, you are welcome to tell us which eink device has the best touch screen.

d. Yes it is the best software, by far. Again you might want to tell us which ereader you think has the best software. I 've had zero bugs since day one, seamless upgrades, cloud syncing of my notes, easy send to kindle over the air from my browser and my computer, great cloud, a fast browser with minimal hick ups, etc. etc. ... It's not just the best software on an eink reader, it's far and away the best software on an eink reader.

Please don't confuse people here and get them to buy mickey mouse devices instead from mickey mouse companies. Kindle is second to none, and making a good effort close behind them is the nook, all the rest (sony, sadly included too, and I say sadly because it's hard to watch them drop the ball what with their potential), are lagging quite some way behind, and especially so the kobo, which is a laughing stock in terms of software development.

Every other day I 've been using my kindle for the past few months, I 've been saying to myself, boy am I glad I finally bought an eink device I can really use and not debug instead, boy am I glad I didn't listen to some of these guys and didn't buy the kobo instead.

Last edited by Fourl29; 04-21-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #28
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Another Kindle troll...
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #29
Fourl29
Connoisseur

yeah sure man, whatever...
Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Another Kindle troll...
Pretty much yes. Rather obvious when he joined Mobileread a short while back and had posted more in the Kobo forum than anywhere else. I don't think he has posted in the Kindle forum at all -- quick search says no. I also suspect that he has not read much in there since they seem to have quite a few people with issues with the Paperwhite and other Amazon Kindle products.

I did get a chuckle out an item on adding custom fonts to the Paperwhite. It's almost as simple as adding fonts to the Touch/Glo/Mini though an additional file called USE_ALT_FONTS is required to tell the Paperwhite to use custom font but the font naming is very similar to that of the Kobo (-Regular, -Bold, etc.). The author was not sure if this required jailbreaking a Kindle PW since it was already jailbroken.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote