Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Question Covers from Overdrive

Looks like I can't download any covers from Overdrive since this morning.

I have even tried with books I know I've downloaded covers before from Overdive.

Anybody else experiencing this?
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Looks like Overdrive's normal search is down right now. If it's permanent will update the plugin for the existing search, but odds are it's temporary.

On the good news side it looks like their classic/advanced search now correctly cross-references authors and titles so maybe it's worthwhile to update anyway.

Last edited by ldolse; 08-11-2011 at 06:04 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks, Idolse
Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The covers from Overdrive are mostly 510x680 resolution which is aspect ratio incorrect. Do you really want covers that can look off because they are off?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The covers from Overdrive are mostly 510x680 resolution which is aspect ratio incorrect. Do you really want covers that can look off because they are off?
I have a feeling that OD's covers are from Hardbound editions. MMPB are 9:16 ratio
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have a feeling that OD's covers are from Hardbound editions. MMPB are 9:16 ratio
Actually, MS Reader is the reason. MS Reader used 510x680 covers to fully fill the window. That is why we have 510x680 resolution covers.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
paulfiera
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are right. But sometimes they have the best covers regarding picture quality.

What would be the correct or best aspect ratio for book covers?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
You are right. But sometimes they have the best covers regarding picture quality.

What would be the correct or best aspect ratio for book covers?
Unless the covers you get disturb you or trigger a OCD reaction don't worry about it. I look for quality looking covers. Then I crop out any white edges and resize all of my covers to 600x800. My library would drive JSWolf crazy, but it works for me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It's that I do care about making my eBooks look good and a proper aspect ratio cover is a good thing to have.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't mind a tiny bit distortion, but when it makes something circular look like a cometary ellipse
Like Walt, I trim thos glaring White edges (Paintshop Pro)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
paulfiera
Addict

...in the meantime, Overdrive covers from Metadata source still ain't working.

Wonder if they're blocking Calibre.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

They're not blocking Calibre specifically as far as I can tell. The Overdrive plugin uses search.overdrive.com - if you've never visited this directly it used to have a modern asp/json interface for searching. Now when you visit it from a browser you get automatically redirected to their 'classic' search interface, which uses an old-school form.

The fact that they've gone from modern to old and clunky seems to indicate some sort of upgrade/repair is in the works and the modern search is offline for the time being.

Since the classic interface basically requires a complete re-write of the plugin I'm going to cross my fingers and wait a week before committing to that.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Actually, wait until October. Rumor has it that Overdrive is revamping for some new changes like no more distinctive formats and Kindle lending. These are supposed to be happening in September. My guess is that the classic search will then go away as it won't be relevant any longer.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
ldolse
Wizard

Good point - that may well be true - right now each book gets several different ids based on format, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Kindle announcement triggers a change along those lines.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Re the cover sizes from Overdrive - not that I use this plugin but occasionally google images throws up one of their sizes of covers in the results (particularly from waterstones or whsmith here in the UK). I just do a simple resize to 436x680 using the Open With plugin & Paintshop to get the ratio unstretched if there isn't a better quality alternative.

However I am contemplating a plugin to automate that, so you could just specify a target size and have the plugin resize it. Would save a few mouse clicks for me at least. It might even be a nice additional option for the Overdrive plugin, would stop certain people grating their teeth over it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote