Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #31
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Very cool! I hadn't even heard of WSGI before this. I'll give it a shot with the next release.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #32
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Well, after having my one user hassle me incessantly (aren't users wonderful to have?), the PHP-based calibre server is getting there. The user is now using it 'in production' successfully. It has been used on a nook, on Opera on my WM6.5 phone, and on Firefox & IE. Some screen shots are attached. Note that the library I was using is my test library, so the metadata for the books has been 'messed with'.

I have at least three things left to do before I will release source. First, one cannot yet view books for formats or user-defined categories. Second, I want to add some level of control over the fields that are displayed (a configuration option). Third, the configuration parameters need some explanation. I expect to do these this weekend.

The system requirements are:
- PHP 5.3 w/GD image processing & SQLite3 support.
- A web server supporting PHP modules. I use Apache 2.2, but there is no Apache-specific code in it.
- Smarty templates, either installed system-wide or in a private folder. I use Smarty 2.6.25. Smarty caching is not (yet) used.
- Access to a calibre library (metadata.db, format, & cover files).

The library is opened read-only, so there are no particular locking issues to deal with. It is re-opened on every request, so change synchronization is automatic. The generated URLs are relative; I have tested it as the root of a virtual host and in a subdirectory. Authentication is done using the web server's facilities.

It is worth noting that this implementation is not as functional as calibre's content server, nor will it ever be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home_screen.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	60338   Click image for larger version

Name:	series_screen.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	60339   Click image for larger version

Name:	books_screen.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	60340  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Having family for users sucks
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #34
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 0.1.0 available at http://charles.the-haleys.org/calibre/.

The content of the INSTALL file contained in the archive is under the spoiler:
Spoiler:

Prerequisites:

1. PHP 5.3 w/GD image processing & SQLite3 support.
2. A web server supporting PHP modules. Tested with apache 2.2, but there isn't any apache-specific code in this system.
3. The Smarty template processor. You must have the path to the directory containing Smarty.class.php. Tested I use Smarty 2.6.25. Smarty caching isn't used.
4. The path to a calibre library (metadata.db, format, & cover files).

To install:

1. Extract the zip file to a folder in web space (visible to the web server).
2. If a first-time install, copy config_default.php to config_local.php
3. Change the paths/values in config.php as appropriate.

$config['smarty'] must be a full path to a directory containing smarty. It is usually something like /path components/SmartyRelease/libs. The folder must contain the file Smarty.class.php.

$config['smarty_dir'] must be a full path to a directory, should not be in web space, and must be writable by the web server. Create two directories in this folder: smarty_cache and smarty_templates_c. Both of these directories must be writable by the web server.

$config['web_dir'] must be the full path to the directory containing index.php. The web server need not have write access to this directory or its subdirectories.

$config['smarty_web_dir'] must be a full path to the directory containing the smarty templates. The directory must be in web space, and is usually a subdirectory of $config['web_dir'].

$config['library_dir'] must be a full path to a directory containing a calibre library. The database metadata.db must be in this directory.

CHANGING TEMPLATES:

In order to make upgrading to future releases easier, if you wish to change the templates, do the following:

1. Create a new subdirectory for your templates. This subdirectory must be in web space.
2. Copy the standard templates to this directory.
3. Change the value of $config['smarty_web_dir'] to point at the new folder.
4. Edit the templates as you wish.

Next steps:
1) add sorting to the UI/templates.
2) make searching more capable (and/or and field name specification).
3) add an option to restrict visible content to the results of a search (a restriction in calibre terms).
4) fix bugs.

Source is on launchpad, in case that is of interest to someone.

If someone actually uses this thing, could you post here? I would be interested in hearing how the installation went, and whether there are prerequisites that I didn't mention. In particular, if you make it work on a cheap web hosting service (or fail to make it work), let me know.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #35
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Version 0.1.1 available at http://charles.the-haleys.org/calibre/.

Changes:
1) made searching more like calibre (but not quite the same). It accepts most string searches, such as tags:=Science and tags:~aaa. Regexps are perl-compatible. If you begin the regexp with /, then the flags uses (e.g., ignore case) are the ones you provide at the end. Example: /AaAa/ is case sensitive. /AaAa/i is not. The search also accepts field:true or field:false in many cases. Searches for dates and numbers are not implemented.
2) added an option to restrict visible content to the results of a search (a restriction in calibre terms).
3) added a demo library. It is my library (around 1200 books), restricted to some public domain books from Gutenberg and Diesel.

Last edited by chaley; 10-31-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #36
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Purely out of idle curiosity, I checked out your demo library. I noticed that the layout seems to be somewhat broken (see screenshot attached), I'd guess the turquoise box on top should be a little bit larger.
If it matters, I'm running FF 3.6.12 on XP SP3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	60428  
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #37
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Purely out of idle curiosity, I checked out your demo library. I noticed that the layout seems to be somewhat broken (see screenshot attached), I'd guess the turquoise box on top should be a little bit larger.
If it matters, I'm running FF 3.6.12 on XP SP3.
You are ending up with a different font, which apparently is bigger. In any event, the fixed height was an artefact from a previous time. I removed it.

I really don't like doing the visual stuff. Unfortunately, that is what people look at.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #38
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

I just tried installing 0.1.1, and getting the following error:
Code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home/myuserid/public_html/Calibre/utilities.php on line 78
Unfortunately I know next to nothing about PHP. I was able to get Smarty installed correctly - at least the smarty demo files all work. Line 78 is a date function, so I doublechecked my date formats.

My date timestamp from the main GUI looks like this:
"10 Nov 2010" - sans quotes

Pub date (publication date when I edit the book if I understand correctly):
"Nov 2010" - sans quotes

I modified the pub date in the config to match what I was seeing, but left the hyphens in place, i.e. 'dd-MMM-yyyy', and 'MMM-yyyy'

I can post the config if need be, but it seems to be related to that file itself and not my config, no changes I've made seem to affect the error.

Edit: One possible cause is I just double-checked my PHP version - my server is running 5.2.14, I just saw you mentioned 5.3 is required. My guess is it's due to anonymous functions:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...tion-expecting

On a side note, haven't been able to get the WSGI option working - I don't have a full virtual server, so I don't have direct access to httpd.conf, just via CPanel. There seem to be some ways to get something done there still, but haven't researched further.

Last edited by ldolse; 11-03-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #39
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the attempt, and for letting me know what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Edit: One possible cause is I just double-checked my PHP version - my server is running 5.2.14, I just saw you mentioned 5.3 is required.
That is certainly the problem. There were several places in the server that used functions available beginning in V5.3. Anonymous functions was one.

I uploaded a new version that will run under both PHP V5.2 and V5.3. I tested it under V5.2 on my development machine, and on V5.3 on my server.

If it is running under V5.2, then SQLite PDO must be installed (it almost always is). If under V5.3, then SQLite3 must be installed.

Give the new version a try.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #40
ldolse
Wizard

Thanks so much!!

That did the trick. A few bits of feedback, (extremely minor):
  • Library name is hard-coded to CBH Library (simple enough to change in the code myself)
  • 1.1.2 is not actually linked on your Calibre page
  • The installation instructions recommended using absolute paths, but in two cases I had to use relative paths - $config['smarty_web_dir'] (used your original relative example), and $config['smarty'] (had to use '../libs' - an absolute server path, e.g. /home/userid/public_html/libs did not work, though the same absolute path style worked for other directives
  • The directions don't mention that a 'templates_c' directory must be created, though it is mentioned rather generically that this directory must be created for each application in the actual Smarty install docs - I had to create that in my temp directory in order for the app to work (though I think I could have stuck it in the Calibre_PHP directory as well).

That's all the minor feedback if you're interested in those sorts of improvements.

Trying to figure out how to use the $config['restrict_display_to'] right now. I want to use a negative tag search, e.g. not tags:"=Nopub" in normal Calibre search terms.

Last edited by ldolse; 11-04-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #41
ldolse
Wizard

Hmm.. can't get tag searching to work in general - Used your demo library as a test case, just in case something was wrong with mine. I would expect the search 'tags:=Classics' (no quotes) to restrict the listed books to just that one tag in your library, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Searching for just 'Classics' does restrict the results, but not by tag of course.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #42
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks so much!!
You are welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote:
[*]Library name is hard-coded to CBH Library (simple enough to change in the code myself)
This is in the template, yes? I added a new configuration variable, $config['page_title'], to set what is printed there.
Quote:
[*]1.1.2 is not actually linked on your Calibre page
Is now. As is 0.1.3 (more later)
Quote:
[*]The installation instructions recommended using absolute paths, but in two cases I had to use relative paths - $config['smarty_web_dir'] (used your original relative example), and $config['smarty'] (had to use '../libs' - an absolute server path, e.g. /home/userid/public_html/libs did not work, though the same absolute path style worked for other directives
Surprising, but as long as it works, fine. I changed the INSTALL file to not push full paths so hard.
Quote:
[*]The directions don't mention that a 'templates_c' directory must be created, though it is mentioned rather generically that this directory must be created for each application in the actual Smarty install docs - I had to create that in my temp directory in order for the app to work (though I think I could have stuck it in the Calibre_PHP directory as well).
Actually, you don't need a tempates_c directory. I don't have one. The code is set up to use smarty_templates_c, which is mentioned in INSTALL. Were you required to create the file? Perhaps for the smarty tests.
Quote:
Trying to figure out how to use the $config['restrict_display_to'] right now. I want to use a negative tag search, e.g. not tags:"=Nopub" in normal Calibre search terms.
I broke searching quite badly when I added :true and :false tests. I (hope I) have fixed the problems. See version 0.1.3.

Some search documentation might be useful.

Supported search value tests are:
  • values are bare words (no quotes & no spaces) or multiple words surrounded by quotes. Examples: foo, "foo bar"
  • field names are calibre's field names, followed by a colon, such as series:
  • contains searches. A bare word or field:word. The test will be true of the field contains the word.
  • equal searches. =word or field:=word
  • regular expressions. ~expression or ~/expression', with our without a field prefix
Supported expressions are:
  • and: value_test and value_test. An 'and' test has priority over an or test. For example, 'series:foo and tag:bar or author:james' is equivalent to ('series:foo and tag:bar) or author:james'
  • value_test value_test: equivalent to value_test and value_test
  • or: value_test or value_test
  • not: not value_test. The not keyword has the highest priority. For example, 'not a and b' is equivalent to '(not a) and b'
  • parenthesized expressions: ( expression )

Example: series:="fu manchu" or authors:james

Notes:
  • if quoted expressions are showing as \"....\" (and not working), then turn off PHP's magic quotes feature in your .htaccess using
    Code:
    php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off
  • the server is (for the moment) picky about field names. For example, you must say 'tags', not 'tag', and 'authors', not 'author'. Use the value that calibre shows as the search term when you hover the mouse on a column heading.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #43
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Added release 0.1.4. This release tries hard to compensate for case mismatches in file names that happen when using both Windows (or Mac) and Linux.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:27 AM   #44
ldolse
Wizard

Just got the update installed, Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Actually, you don't need a tempates_c directory. I don't have one. The code is set up to use smarty_templates_c, which is mentioned in INSTALL. Were you required to create the file? Perhaps for the smarty tests.
Yes, it required me to create it in the designated smarty_dir, I see you've already updated the docs to cover this.

Searches are working now. Only having one small problem now - the 'restrict_display_to' option is working if you don't do any searches, but it seems like any search overrides the filter set there. I'm using 'not tags:=Nopub' to prevent display of books I don't want cataloged, and this works without a search, but as soon as I search for any info that could match one of those books they turn up in the search results.

I'm not sure if it's doing the boolean logic, or if the boolean logic is just broken when combining 'and' and 'not', as this particular test didn't work:
Code:
testvalue and not tags:=Nopub
For this the search returned books with testvalue that were also tagged Nopub.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:27 AM   #45
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's doing the boolean logic, or if the boolean logic is just broken when combining 'and' and 'not', as this particular test didn't work:
Code:
testvalue and not tags:=Nopub
For this the search returned books with testvalue that were also tagged Nopub.
I can't repeat this. For example, on the demo library, if I enter
Code:
classics and not tags:=Tragedies
I get what I expect -- the classics minus the Tamburlaine books.

There is a problem with searching for values containing a ':', but your example doesn't have one.

One thing I am concerned about is unicode. PHP doesn't do a good job with multi-byte character comparison. If one of the characters in the tag is for some reason double-byte, or if a character in the search box is double-byte, then the match won't happen.

Does searching for 'tags:=NoPub' get you what you expect?