Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
analyst downgrades Amazon due to Kindle

partially due to the ipad's color screen. this is kind of disturbing. not because I have stock in Amazon, I try to have stock in the intelligence of people that influence our financial trends. once again this appears to be a blatant case of someone not having a clue as to the difference between the ipad and what it does and the Kindle and what it does.

kinda' scary when you think about how many other completely uninformed similar decisions are out there!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The way I read the article you link to is that the main reasons for downgrading Amazon are that the Apple store is already taking market share from Amazon, and that the Kindle price cut will affect profitability. And there's also the competition from the forthcoming Google Editions. The fact that the iPad is full-color is mentioned, but not as an argument for downgrading.

I agree that analysts sometimes make uninformed decisions, but perhaps not in this case.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
The way I read the article you link to is that the main reasons for downgrading Amazon are that the Apple store is already taking market share from Amazon, and that the Kindle price cut will affect profitability. And there's also the competition from the forthcoming Google Editions. The fact that the iPad is full-color is mentioned, but not as an argument for downgrading.

I agree that analysts sometimes make uninformed decisions, but perhaps not in this case.
my take is that she was comparing the two as e-readers and using the argument that the ipad has as the deal killer or sealer or whatever. I guess I still don't think they should be compared as ereaders
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
my take is that she was comparing the two as e-readers and using the argument that the ipad has as the deal killer or sealer or whatever. I guess I still don't think they should be compared as ereaders
Well two major eReader manufactures have just made significant price cuts.
Is that coincidental, or do they see the iPad as competition?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
I guess I still don't think they should be compared as ereaders
No they shouldn't, and most people here will agree that it is not an apples to apples comparison. The problem is that we are probably the minority and that most people will just believe the hype from Apple and from others who don't know the difference.

And if this sort of argument keeps getting made, whether it is a direct comparison of the two as eReaders or not, they'll eventually become self-fulfilling.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once again, there is nothing in the article that even suggests the analyst compared the two devices, or even looked at them. So let's not read something into the analysis that's not there and let's not start this 'apples and oranges' discussion all over again - it's not to the point here. This analyst may not be interested in the reading devices at all; she was only looking at the business prospects of Amazon. All that the analyst is saying is that Amazon's outlook is not as good as it was a while ago because of mounting competition.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
I try to have stock in the intelligence of people that influence our financial trends.
Wow, after the financlial crises and especially the debacle with the lehman brothers bank thats a lot of confidence you have in this kind of mechanics
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I'm sure they see it as competition at some level, but whether the price cuts are a result? Who knows. I figured a Kindle price cut was coming to help clear stock since there's a new model rumored for August and I figured they did it a bit early due to B&N's cut.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
This is off-topic, but a reply to kindlekitten's signature. On the internet, there is no freedom of speech. That's a government thing. This is a private website and the owners make the rules about what is acceptable speech. If you don't like it, you're free to start your own website in competition to this one. I have no idea what image you had to remove. I have no affiliation to this website other than being a registered user. I have no idea why you were asked to remove the image, but the operators of this web forum have the right to censor as they see fit. Most of the censorship I see here is the deletion of links to pirate sites.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 06-29-2010 at 10:31 AM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Zetmolm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Lets' remember that Amazon and B&N are not primarily eReader manufacturers, but book shops. The reason they sell reading devices at such an attractive price is mainly to bind their customers to them (that's why they have their own DRM) in a market that they see changing gradually from paper to digital formats. The price cuts are all about market shares. In that sense they don't see the iPad as competition, but they will see the Apple store as competition.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Lets' remember that Amazon and B&N are not primarily eReader manufacturers, but book shops. The reason they sell reading devices at such an attractive price is mainly to bind their customers to them (that's why they have their own DRM) in a market that they see changing gradually from paper to digital formats. The price cuts are all about market shares. In that sense they don't see the iPad as competition, but they will see the Apple store as competition.
And I'd sort of expect that to benefit Amazon more than B&N, as they have a lot more name recognition for eBooks. (I've actually just bought a book for Kindle on the iPad, so that is one sale )
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
partially due to the ipad's color screen. this is kind of disturbing. not because I have stock in Amazon, I try to have stock in the intelligence of people that influence our financial trends. once again this appears to be a blatant case of someone not having a clue as to the difference between the ipad and what it does and the Kindle and what it does.

kinda' scary when you think about how many other completely uninformed similar decisions are out there!
I completely agree with you. There are not comparing apples to apples. They just see it as one manufacturer to another and not based on product comparison.
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Actually, one of her main points wasn't the iPad, but the Nook. Amazon dropped the price of the Kindle to match the Nook, which she thinks means they are no longer making any profit on the hardware.
Quote:
Wolk cited concerns about profit margins. She estimated that at its previous price of $259, the Kindle's margins were about 15% to 20%. At its new price of $189, she thinks Amazon.com may wind up only breaking even on each sale.
In addition, she mentions Google Editions as being a potential threat.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Yawn. Another thread of E-Ink supporters getting offended at a comment about the iPad possibly being a better reading device? How many of these do we need?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yawn. Another thread of E-Ink supporters getting offended at a comment about the iPad possibly being a better reading device? How many of these do we need?

What !?

Wait - how - where .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote