Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Hmmm, I thought it was stated that the Sci-Fi book had to be available for free? But I might remember that incorrectly, I think it was even suggested it had to be a Baen free library book
No. Commercial eBooks are fine - the only rule is that it has to be available as a legal eBook.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #17
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I was going to suggest The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein but Can't find a legal eBook version of it.

I'll still like to suggest one of his books, Either

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
or
Double Star - Robert Heinlein

Which are really good reads, and reasonably good introductions to his work (though Moon is obviously the best )

Otherwise, I'll suggest one of the SF golden oldies by Asimov like

Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Old 12-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I was going to suggest The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein but Can't find a legal eBook version of it.

I'll still like to suggest one of his books, Either

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
or
Double Star - Robert Heinlein

Which are really good reads, and reasonably good introductions to his work (though Moon is obviously the best )

Otherwise, I'll suggest one of the SF golden oldies by Asimov like

Foundation by Isaac Asimov
As posted earlier, Double Star is available for 35cents in Kindle format.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
(Since this month includes many holidays I am going to make the nomination/voting period a bit longer)

The nominations will run thru Dec 19th.
Voting (new poll thread) will run for 5 days starting Dec 20.
I'll be needing the poll to run longer then just up to the 20th. I'll be away for vacation and I won't be online as much while I am away. So just having it be fromt he 19th to the 20th is not going to be good. Have it run until the 25th and that will be ok for me. I know I can vote in that time period.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd like to nominate "The Time Machine", by H.G. Wells. Classic SF and available free from MR.
I will third that if it's not already been.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bob - that's three votes for "Time Machine". Can you add it to the first post, please?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll be needing the poll to run longer then just up to the 20th. I'll be away for vacation and I won't be online as much while I am away. So just having it be fromt he 19th to the 20th is not going to be good. Have it run until the 25th and that will be ok for me. I know I can vote in that time period.
I think you misread it. The poll will START on the 20th and run 5 days. I think that meets your time frame.

BOb
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bob - that's three votes for "Time Machine". Can you add it to the first post, please?
Done.

I also added The Mote in Gods Eye which has 3 nominations.

BOb
Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I nominate "1632" by Eric Flint. It's available in the Baen Free Library.
I will second "1632".

BOb
Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #25
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I second or third or whatever Stranger in a Strange Land. Always wanted to read that one.

I never did see the discussion thread for December though.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd like to nominate the following....

Voyage of the Space Beagle (The basis for ALIEN) by A. E. Van Vogt
War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper
Scroogled by Cory Doctorow
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow
Old 12-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I second or third or whatever Stranger in a Strange Land. Always wanted to read that one.

December's thread starts in January.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #28
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I will third 1632... though I just read it, so I hope you don't mind if I don't read it again .

One warning about 1632.. it works fine as a stand a lone novel... but there are have been a number of sequels, both novels and shorter fiction.... and the number is growing, practically on a daily basis. If you get hooked on the series, well... it could take a prominent place on your reading list for a while.

--
Bill
Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #29
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd like to nominate the following....
Scroogled by Cory Doctorow
Jon I like your other selections, but I would not recommend this short story. Great concept, great start, but just fizzled in the end.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 12-16-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
That will start next week. (The final [full] week of December)

BOb
Closed Thread