Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Eagleeye
Fanatic
Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: BeBook, Pocketbook 360°; Kindle 3G
Where do you buy your ebooks?

Sorry, if there is a similiar theme (I didn't find it, anyway) - but what are your favorite sources for new e-books?

I for myself prefer www.webscription.net - because I'm a scifi- and fantasy-fan and webscription distributes its titles without any DRM.
Eagleeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Baen - for SF/Fantasy
Fictionwise - for general fiction.
PG - for free stuff.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I buy books from Amazon mostly, but Baen sometimes, and occasionally Fictionwise.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See What are the top 5 ebook stores and why?.

I would add the uploads forum and feedbooks for freely distributable ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Regarding quantity of books in my collection, from most to least:

1) MobileRead - acquired the most total titles
2) Fictionwise - purchased the most titles
3) Sony - second most purchased titles
4) Other - Baen freebies, TOR freebies, etc.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Baen / www.webscription.net by far.
Fictionwise a distant second place.
Free Downloads from MobileRead coming up fast in third
Sony's book store hasn't gotten out of the gate...

Xenophon

Last edited by Xenophon; 09-06-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: fix link
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Free ones from MobileRead and Baen Free Library.

Buy from Fictionwise, Baen, Steve Jordan Books, and Sony.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Using a different criteria -- those eBooks that I have actually finished reading came from the following sources:

From the Free Baen library: 6
Purchased from Baen/Webscriptions: 3
Free from Feedbooks: 5
Purchased or free from Amazon.com (including some of the TOR freebies): 17
Free from MobileRead: 3
Purchased at Fictionwise: 5
Free from TOR: 2
Free from Steve Jordan: 1

I'm currently reading Lies of Locke Lamora on the Sony Reader (purchased from the Sony Store) and The Pillars of the Earth on the Kindle (purchased from Amazon).

I have several hundred books downloaded from MobileRead -- another hundred or so downloaded from Feedbooks and a couple dozen from ManyBooks.

In my TBR stack I have at least 6 books from Amazon, 11 more from Steve Jordan, and 3 from Fictionwise. Even though I read pretty fast (having completed 96 books in the first 8 months of the year) there are still more books available than I can get to.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
1. Books on Board – most of my e-books.
2. WebScription – occasionally as I'm not that into Fantasy/Science-Fiction, but like their e-book approach very much.
3. Fictionwise – occasionally when they have nice offers like with the Chambers.

The free stuff I get mostly from here, Feedbooks or the original author's website.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
BAEN Free Library and Books on Board are my main sources for eBooks. For heavy readers, Fictionwise has a very interesting scheme.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Baen (webscription.net) - Baen's free ebooks, especially giving away whole series like Honor Harrington, is what got me started on ebooks in the first place.
Fictionwise - everything else not available on webscription.net.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow... I've read alot of ebooks, but bought few of them. Most of the ebooks I've read have been the free ones from TOR.

Other than that I've bought from in order of quantity:

scifi-az.com
fictionwise.com
amazon.com (kindle)

Plan to buy more from stevenjordanbooks.com and scifi-az.com and baen.com webscriptions.com. Also, now that you can remove DRM from LIT and Mobi I can pretty much buy from anywhere and be able to read on my Kindle and Sony. Although since I switched to a Mac at home I may drop buying LIT since you need Winders to buy that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Baen webscriptions
Fictionwise
Books On Board.

Free books from various places. Mostly here at MR as the quality is great and from promotions such as Tor, Harper Collins, authors websites and so on.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
Well analyzing my ebooks mail folder, I usually buy at Fictionwise, Baen/Webscriptions or Books on Board. I also bought some books at stevejordanbooks.com and plan to buy more
Recently I have tried out Pan Macmillan (DRM free but not many books yet) and Harper Collins.
And, well, the free books at tor.com and here at mobileread.
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #15
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Thumbs up Where I buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleeye View Post
Sorry, if there is a similiar theme (I didn't find it, anyway) - but what are your favorite sources for new e-books?

I for myself prefer www.webscription.net - because I'm a scifi- and fantasy-fan and webscription distributes its titles without any DRM.
Buying - Webscriptions and Fictionwise... The bookshelves for me are huge. (I shudder to think of how many $$ have gone to them over the last 9 years) Free ones from Baen free library, this place, Blackmask/Munseys esspc.

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote