Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Lorenzo83
Lorenzo83 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Troubles with Calibre - Epub and iBooks

Good evening everybody, I'm new in this forum, and I hope to write in the right section.

I have a question for you, I spent some days working at it.

I have a tag body in an epub3 page with a plain text in it.
The code is very simple, I have no css file called in mi HTML file and i simply wrote:

<body style="background:red;height:100%;with:100%">
<p>Test</p>
</body>

On Calibre I see the page filled with red color, while on iBooks it doesn't fill the page.

I hope there is a solution for this.
In this case the code is very simple but I'm building pages with 3-4 "div" that don't fill the whole area in iBooks..
Lorenzo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The d is missing from "width". Not sure if that's a typo introduced when typing the post, though.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Lorenzo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
The d is missing from "width". Not sure if that's a typo introduced when typing the post, though.
I'm sorry, that was a typing error.

The right code is

<body style="background:red;height:100%;width:100%">
<p>Test</p>
</body>
Old 02-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was afraid it might be ;-)

I don't know much about iBooks. All I can suggest is that you put the values in single quotes, and add a semicolon after the second 100%
Old 02-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Lorenzo83

Thank you very much for your interest.

I try to post an other code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
<title>Page 3</title>
</head>

<body style="background: red; margin: 0;">
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="float: left; width: 100%; height:100%;">
<tr>
<td style="background: green; height: 5%; width: 100%;">div1</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td style=" background: blue; width: 100%; height: 45%;">div2</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td style=" width: 100%; background: yellow; height: 30%;">div3</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td style="height: 20%; width: 100%; background: aqua;">div4</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

In the attachment we see how Calibre shows it.

But iBooks doesn't fit this page to the right dimension, i only have 4 short colored stripes.

It should be a normal HTML behaviour but I think I'm missing something..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	118783  
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Lorenzo83

Update:
this is how I see the page with the code above on iBooks

I think these should be HTML bases but..maybe it isn't so?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0521.PNG
Views:	93
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	118792  
Old 02-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard

It may be that there's a bug in iBooks that means it doesn't render some HTML/CSS correctly. I don't use iBooks, and can't help any further, I'm afraid.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Lorenzo83

Thank you very much for your interest
On ipad, which reader are you using?
I could try another one, beacause i think that if it doesn't render HTML it's not the right one for me
Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
avantman42
Wizard

I don't have an iPad. I own a Kindle Keyboard and a Nook Simple Touch. I read on my Kindle, Android phone (Kindle app) and occasionally on my Nexus 7 (also Kindle app).

There are lots of ereader apps out there, it might be worth asking for recommendations on the Apple devices forum.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It seems that the problem isn't with calibre, but with iBooks?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo83 View Post
On ipad, which reader are you using?
My preferred reader app on iOS is Marvin. It has the advantage of having specific Calibre integration, but that is just an added bonus.

It used to be free, but I have a feeling that may no longer be the case but there should be a free version to try (limited to a single book loaded at a time I think) so you can see what you think..
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Lorenzo83

Thank you very much for your answers.
I give you an update:

iBooks doesn't render this code, the problem is that I have to build an epub with many pages containing 4 divs, here is a pseudo-code:

<div height:100%>

<div height:5%>content..</div>
<div height:45%>content..</div>
<div height:5%>content..</div>
<div height:45%>content..</div>

</div>

I have found Gitden Reader for Android that works quite fine in extended mode, but iBooks seems to fit the page based on content.

If I write in the last internal div words that don't fill an height of 45%, iBooks renders the div smaller than 45%, and obviously the main div is not 100% high..

I have found this trouble on other readers, like Marvel too..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	118815