Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
lenrev
lenrev began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Unhappy Quality of conversion to ebook??

I've purchased two books, The Pacific by Hugh Ambrose, and Dean Koontz's fourth Frankenstein volume.

The Pacific, though enjoyable, had many grammatical errors that I would not have expected from any of the many paper books I've read.

I had pre-ordered Frankenstein, received it as expected, but the book seems incomplete. I mean the story line simply stopped, no ending, just stopped. It continued with the usual short blurb of credits and bio.

I've yet to see a printed version for comparison but am now curious if eBook is going to become synonymous with poor quality.

Have any others found similar issues?
lenrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
lenrev
lenrev began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Found reviews that indicate the book does simply stop. My apologies for using the space before researching reviews.
lenrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Re the grammatical errors, my take on it is that "modern publishing" is becoming synonymous with low quality.

Once upon a time, the Editor at a publisher was in charge of editing manuscripts. These days, the Editor is just the person who selects which books s/he wants to champion for publication. Manuscripts have been replaced with Word documents—they don't even call them manuscripts any more; they call them files—and the file is sent off for electronic typesetting.

The job of editing was pushed off onto literary agents, and now many of the agents are pushing it off onto the authors. These days, files are expected to be "ready to print" when submitted by the authors.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote