Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
HOW do you output conversions into ONE FOLDER?

Im currently having to convert over a 1000 ebook's into mobi format and have already done a few hundred.
BUT the small problem i have is that calibre on default settings creates a folder for each and every book it creates.

As im converting a large number of books i have to go into each folder cut the mobi book out of the folder and then back track out of the 2 folders it made and paste the book into a folder which holds ALL the books of the author.

This is time consuming and laborious when dealing with hundreds of books.

IS there a setting so when it converts the books u selected -it saves them ALL into ONE folder.
i tried playing with different setting but with no luck

Great software by the way
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
You can convert all your ebooks to mobi then use 'Save single format to disk'>MOBI (click the small arrow next to 'Save to disk' button or right click on selected books)

NOTE: Use Calibre to manage books, not ebook files, see this http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#id29. So stop opening library folder (except some special cases) and try to explore Calibre's GUI.

Last edited by atjnjk; 08-31-2010 at 07:58 AM.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Are you converting via commandline or via the GUI (adding books to library, then converting)? If the latter, do you pluck the book out of the Calibre library folder by hand (which would be a big no-no, by the way) or use the save to disk function?

EDIT: Ah, well. Too slow.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjnjk View Post
You can convert all your ebooks to mobi then use 'Save single format to disk'>MOBI (click the small arrow next to 'Save to disk' button or right click on selected books)

NOTE: Use Calibre to manage books, not ebook files, see this http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#id29. So stop opening library folder (except some special cases) and try to explore Calibre's GUI.
THANKS for the fast reply but im getting a error-

ERROR: Not allowed: You are tying to save files into the calibre library. This can cause corruption of your library. Save to disk is meant to export files from your calibre library elsewhere.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Im currently having to convert over a 1000 ebook's into mobi format and have already done a few hundred.
Have you added these to calibre?

Quote:
BUT the small problem i have is that calibre on default settings creates a folder for each and every book it creates.
That is calibre's database, not designed to be mucked with if you expect calibre to continue working properly.

Quote:
As im converting a large number of books i have to go into each folder cut the mobi book out of the folder and then back track out of the 2 folders it made and paste the book into a folder which holds ALL the books of the author.

This is time consuming and laborious when dealing with hundreds of books.
Do you always make things so hard? Just do all of the conversions. When you are complete select all of the books you want to export out of calibre, then use the dropdown arrow to the right of the Save to disk icon. Now select an option and save all of the books to the directory of your choice.

Quote:
IS there a setting so when it converts the books u selected -it saves them ALL into ONE folder.
Calibre is going to save the files in the directories as you have noted. This action can not be changed, because that is how calibre tracks books in its database. But calibre makes it very easy to export books wherever you want.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
darksaber35
Banned

i understand BUT it's not letting me export some new books that i converted just now.
keeping throwing up the error, i will un-install and re-install the software to see if it fixes the problem of no allowing me to export.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
ERROR: Not allowed: You are tying to save files into the calibre library. This can cause corruption of your library. Save to disk is meant to export files from your calibre library elsewhere.
As the error message's guide, try to save files to a folder OUTSIDE of Calibre's library folder.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
darksaber35
Banned

Just installed it on my 2nd PC and it WORKS perfectly .the other pc no joy.

THANKS
Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Quote:
THANKS for the fast reply but im getting a error-

I've been having this same problem the last couple versions. The folder I normally export books to no longer works.

I have my calibre stuff (database/books themselves) in /books

I usually export to "/books to export"

Alas around .714. , I started getting the above message.

I tried creating "/books2export" and "/books to export 2" to no avail.

But creating "/2" allowed me to export just fine.

I was wondering if the issue had to do with my folder names starting with "books" and creating a conflict as that's how my main folder starts.

(so my export folders are NOT inside my calibre folder)...all are individual folders in the root of the same HD...including the one that actually works now (/2))

Last edited by guyanonymous; 08-31-2010 at 10:38 AM.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I've been having this same problem the last couple versions. The folder I normally export books to no longer works.
[...]
Alas around .714. , I started getting the above message.
From the logs, I see that this problem was fixed in 0.7.15. Have you tried it since then? I tried to repeat your problem with the current release (0.7.16), and could not.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I must have missed that correction in the logs - I've not tried yet, but will soon. It wasn't something I was too worried about with the author's amazing track record for updating calibre! (along with his assistants!)
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote