Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: The Kindle 2 will arrive ...
this month 1 1.59%
in Feburary 11 17.46%
in March 3 4.76%
in April 4 6.35%
in May 3 4.76%
in June 5 7.94%
this year 22 34.92%
next year 8 12.70%
ever? 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle 2: Where are you? (cnet)

The release date of the Kindle 2 keeps folks guessing at nightclub bathrooms. Cnet's David Carnoy thinks to have found the answer (by mere speculation): "March. Valentine's Day would be a potential target date, but that seems a little too close."

Any more educated guesses when Amazon is going to unveil the curtain?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I say May. Valentine's Day is too early- they are still trying to ship out backordered Kindle's from Christmas. May would be a good time since it is right before summer vacations.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You left the most important one out.

"I don't really care. I am happy with what I have and even if the new one does my dishes, I will not upgrade"

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
yes too early for me too. There's too much orders for the moment, people have to wait until March to be delivered.
I think April / May for the release.
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You left the most important one out.

"I don't really care. I am happy with what I have and even if the new one does my dishes, I will not upgrade"

wait, the new kindle will do my dishes ??? i will buy that in a second. may, you say ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I voted for sometime this year, possibly in the autumn. I think they will launch Kindle in the UK before they launch Kindle 2 in US. (Okay wishful thinking...)
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
"March. Valentine's Day would be a potential target date, but that seems a little too close."
Not gonna happen. I think I've make my prediction. I don't remember what it was... but I would be surprised to see a new Kindle even this year. If there is only it won't be till the holiday season. (Sept/Oct at the earliest)

But, I do hope to see a fairly major firmware update. Hope more than expect.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
TheRealBillc
evangelist
TheRealBillc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 deceased now 950
New Kindle model

I think a new Kindle will show up in November of 2009. Given the things that are supposed to happen in display improvements and better refresh rates and such, I think that Amazon will want a new version for the Holiday Shopping Season that will take advantage of e-reader improvments that were not possible last year, and won't be available until the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2009, but that is a pure guess.
TheRealBillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
cobalt8
Enthusiast
cobalt8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
I believe there are several new ereader models that will be introduced to the market before summer of this year. These will most likely take advantage of the new Epson controller. There is already information that's been released regarding the specs on the EZ Reader PRO and Mentor line to be introduced this year by Astak, as well as the Wizpac txtr reader (haven't read enough about this one to know if it's been determined as legitimate yet). At least the EZ Reader PRO and the Wizpac readers boast that they will carry 3G access.

The whole point is that Amazon would stand to lose a significant amount of potential customers by waiting around for 10 months while other manufacturer's deliver more advanced devices. I've considered getting a Kindle, but feel uncomfortable with Amazon's tactics regarding the device. They reveal no sales information, while ranking it at the top of their best seller's list. Who verifies that information? They also haven't released any major firmware updates since the introduction of the device. I'd prefer to go with a company that understands the importance of increasing their device's capabilities thru software enhancements while working on newer models.

Therefore, if Amazon has a clue what they're doing, I'd say the new version will be released around April of this year. That would still give enough time for them to release a newer model, such as the larger device they've mentioned, around the holiday season without people getting in a huff about buying one model and another one being released too soon afterward.
cobalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
You left the most important one out. "I don't really care. I am happy with what I have and even if the new one does my dishes, I will not upgrade"
Or the equally (more important ) important choice: I own a Sony and don't care because I already have the best
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Now, if it would clean the bathroom, I might be convinced to place a first-day order!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt8 View Post
The whole point is that Amazon would stand to lose a significant amount of potential customers by waiting around for 10 months while other manufacturer's deliver more advanced devices.
Meh. Probably not. Sony and Kindle have the bulk of the sales. Kindle is back ordered right now I think. Not sure if that is growing or shriking. But, if they can sell more than they can make, how do you figure they are "loosing"?

Quote:
I've considered getting a Kindle, but feel uncomfortable with Amazon's tactics regarding the device. They reveal no sales information, while ranking it at the top of their best seller's list.
Who cares what their sales volumes are? Ok, you seem to care... WHY do you care what their sales numbers are?

BOb
Old 01-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #13
cobalt8
Enthusiast
cobalt8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
I didn't say they are losing customers currently, I said that they stand to lose potential (not necessarily existing) customers if they fail to bring an updated device to the market when other manufacturers deliver models with better capabilities.

It's not that care as much about the actual volume of sales as I do the fact that they are so tight-lipped about it. Add to that the fact that they name their own product as their top-seller, but refuse to provide any numbers to back it up. It just seems questionable to me. Without sales figures, we have no way of knowing that the crazy back-order wasn't just a ploy to make consumers think that the device is more popular than it actually is. It also caused such a frenzy that people were sitting in front of their computers refreshing the screen constantly in an attempt to get their hands on a refurbished model.

And how can you actually confirm that Kindle and Sony have the bulk of sales when you don't even know how many Kindles have been sold? What data is being used to reach that conclusion?
cobalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I didn't say they are losing customers currently, I said that they stand to lose potential (not necessarily existing) customers if they fail to bring an updated device to the market when other manufacturers deliver models with better capabilities.
I understood you perfectly and was letting you know that I disagree and why.

Quote:
Without sales figures, we have no way of knowing that the crazy back-order wasn't just a ploy to make consumers think that the device is more popular than it actually is.
Really?

We also don't know if the US really put a man on the moon. It was all shot in a sound stage in order to stop the Russians from continuing their research because they were so far ahead of the US.

Oh, and the CIA shot Kennedy because he wanted to put our money back on the gold standard.

BOb
Old 01-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
I believe Amazon would have a PR nightmare on its hands if it made people wait 8+ weeks for a Kindle, and then very shortly after released Kindle 2. I believe that they might be forced (by market conditions) to wait a while after there is no longer a waiting list on the Kindle.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote