Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
rainblown
rainblown began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony 650 vs Kindle DX for manga?

Hello everyone! I just got myself a Sony PRS-650, but right now I'm kind of regretting it. I'm going to use my reader for MOSTLY manga viewing (although I will use it to read some novels as well) and after researching a bit, it seems like 650 is too small? I've heard some people that they don't mind the small size, but I heard from others that the small size is just not enough space for manga viewing. My parents are willing to spend up to $250 to get me a reader for christmas (which is why I got the 650), but I think I may return it and chip in the extra $100 myself to get a Kindle DX.

I've got rather bad eyes and I don't want to make my eyes worse by straining too much to read the texts in the manga (which I heard the 650 makes you do). However, I'm also concerned about the kindle memory of 4GB. Sony allows SD card in their reader, so you can add a lot more manga, but is it really worth the trade for the small screen size? Is 4GB enough space to warrant a purchase still? Manga volumes take up space really fast, so I don't know if that's enough. Does anyone know how much manga volumes you can approximately fit in 4GB?

Last edited by rainblown; 12-12-2010 at 06:20 PM.
rainblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
ReliQ05
ReliQ05 is on a distinguished road

Device: nook Wifi, Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Your other option is the Sony 950. Which is a 7" screen. Thats $299. Link Here

To find out how many Mangas fit in 4GB find the avg manga file size and divide.
ReliQ05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
rainblown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliQ05 View Post
Your other option is the Sony 950. Which is a 7" screen. Thats $299. Link Here

To find out how many Mangas fit in 4GB find the avg manga file size and divide.
Hi. I was actually thinking of getting the 950 (since Besy Buy is having a sale for it right now), but I didn't like the weird ratio which wouldn't really help THAT much for manga viewing. If it was wider by one inch as well, it might have.

Oh and what should I divide it by? 2? 3? I tried using the program "Mangle" to fit for Kindle 3 (I don't have Kindle 3, just wanted to see how big the files would be if converted to 6 inch) and the file sizes are were halved at least. Since the Kindle DX is big and would retain mostly the original aspect ratio, wouldn't the file size be the same? This is just an assumption though...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
ReliQ05

Well 4GB is 4096 MB and some of the manga files I have seen are roughly 2MB. So that would be about 2048 manga books, give or take. However, most ereaders have dedicated space for their OS Files. so its more along the lines of 3.4 GB or 1,740 books.

Here is a link to a site that does Ereader reviews.

DX

Hope that helps!

Last edited by ReliQ05; 12-12-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
rainblown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliQ05 View Post
Well 4GB is 4096 MB and some of the manga files I have seen are roughly 2MB. So that would be about 2048 manga books, give or take. However, most ereaders have dedicated space for their OS Files. so its more along the lines of 3.4 GB or 1,740 books.

Here is a link to a site that does Ereader reviews.

DX

Hope that helps!
Thank you for the help. I like reviews, but I'm looking for more on people's experience with either device rather than a review.

For the manga file size, I was thinking the file size for volumes as around 30mb-80mb instead of just single chapters (which are probably as you mentioned 2mb per file). Divide 3400 by 30 would be over 100 volumes. Not as much as I hoped for, but that's still a lot I guess...

Last edited by rainblown; 12-12-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
ReliQ05

I gave you that site because the reviewer takes a hands on approach to the device and answers the questions that you had asked. Hopefully some other people with a DX can hop in and voice their opinion.

Aside from the nonexpandable storage with the DX, I'd say that you would be happy with the DX in every other way.

Last edited by ReliQ05; 12-12-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
12 days so far with my Kindle DX Graphite and I love it!

I sold my Nook because I was having problems reading my Oracle and SQL books, screen size issues (plus difficulty finding computer book titles at B&N) But YES, for technical books, books with complex layouts or MANGA, the 9.7 inches screen is really nice, way much better than a Sony or any other eink device, like Nook.

I downloaded a Manga the other day, a sample one from Amazon, and looks okay. Some pictures were kind of dark, and you have no color, black and white only, of course. It was also slow turning pages but I see same behavior when reading PDFs; I am sure this will be fixed with next firmware upgrade so would not worry too much about it.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
rainblown

Thank you for all your inputs everyone.

I decided to keep my PRS650 and I must say I'm quite satisfied with it.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
PocketBook 902 is the same size display as the KDX but is only is only $320 and it has a Micro SD slot that supports up to 16GB MicroSDHC .

You can order it at my site below or other on line retailers and you can read all about it in the PocketBook forum here on MobileRead
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
the pocketbook iq is supposed to be good with manga, but it has an lcd screen
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote