Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #436
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hi Richie and welcome.

It's a startling tale you have to tell - one really now wonders whether Amazon has really thought where they are going with the Kindle if what you say is true. Not only do they 'lock' in customers, they then go and alienate them ...

I sincerely hope someone with a Kindle can offer you some hope ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #437
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Strip the DRM?
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #438
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Coincidentally, Techdirt writes today:

Quote:
Google Provides Numbers On Just How Often DMCA Takedown Process Is Abused

"In its submission, Google notes that more than half (57%) of the takedown notices it has received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1998, were sent by business targeting competitors and over one third (37%) of notices were not valid copyright claims."

Google's point is that these types of laws are widely abused, and setting up such a system where punishment is handed out without any real due process is going to lead to an awful lot of mistakes. But, these stats are worth discussing just for what they say about the DMCA itself, and that myth that the process is rarely abused. From the numbers Google has seen, it's quite clear that the DMCA isn't just abused, it's regularly abused in ways that are both anti-competitive and chilling.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #439
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post

Here is the rub. Should you loose, receive a replacement Kindle (warranty or otherwise) or purchase a Kindle 2 ALL past issues of Newspapers or Magazines that were downloaded to the original Kindle will be UNREADABLE on any subsequent Kindle even though it is registered to your account.
Welcome to MobileRead Richie!

Check out Calibre (it has its won forum here). You'll be able to create your won newspapers from RSS feeds that will work forever on whatever digital device you like. You'll lose the Whispernet download capability but it's not a bad trade if you really want to keep your copies.

Who knows maybe we can bribe Kovid to add an auto update feature (like our MobiPocket Guide) which would take advantage of Whispernet to get the daily paper to the Kindle without using a computer (after the initial set-up of course).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #440
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Who knows maybe we can bribe Kovid to add an auto update feature (like our MobiPocket Guide) which would take advantage of Whispernet to get the daily paper to the Kindle.
All it would take is the ability to email a document to the Kindle from within Calibre. I run some customized command-line stuff (not in Calibre) as a daily scheduled task to capture/format/email some "scooped" web newspaper content to my Kindle.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #441
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
All it would take is the ability to email a document to the Kindle from within Calibre. I run some customized command-line stuff (not in Calibre) as a daily scheduled task to capture/format/email some "scooped" web newspaper content to my Kindle.
Let's talk more about that, my mind is racing with possibilities. We should start a separate thread though.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #442
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Adding support for auto emzil content rom calibre is on my todo list, but it got pushed down some since now I don't feel comfortable turning on the wireless on my Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #443
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Adding support for auto emzil content rom calibre is on my todo list, but it got pushed down some since now I don't feel comfortable turning on the wireless on my Kindle.
Understood.

Still, I'd love to see that feature if you ever get around to it.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #444
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hey, you have a Kindle now? Woot!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #445
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
But, these stats are worth discussing just for what they say about the DMCA itself, and that myth that the process is rarely abused.
There's a myth that the DMCA is rarely abused? I thought it was common knowledge that it's frequently abused.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #446
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
There's a myth that the DMCA is rarely abused? I thought it was common knowledge that it's frequently abused.
so did i... maybe this will open some eyes which want to stay closed...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #447
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I'd be happy to add you to my approved Kindle email list so that you can have a Whispernet guinea pig. Or however you want to work it.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #448
ghchinoy
ghchinoy began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1 & 2, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Let's talk more about that, my mind is racing with possibilities. We should start a separate thread though.

http://www.instapaper.com/

You might want to look at that - it apparently has a beta to-kindle feature.

I have a little app in beta that does something similar (pulls sites, converts them, syncs on kindle usb connect), but it needs some polish.
ghchinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #449
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually I dont need to turn on the wireless, emailing the book to myself should still make it show up on the manage my kindle website. If that's the case that is sufficient for me to develop the functionality.

The reason it moved down my TODO list is that since I no longer switch on the wireless on my kindle, I don't have any use for this feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #450
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Actually I dont need to turn on the wireless, emailing the book to myself should still make it show up on the manage my kindle website. If that's the case that is sufficient for me to develop the functionality.

The reason it moved down my TODO list is that since I no longer switch on the wireless on my kindle, I don't have any use for this feature.
Manage My Kindle only shows content you purchased from Amazon. If you are emailing books or content from elsewhere, you will only see it on your Kindle, never on Amazon's site.