Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
Andy Farman
Connoisseur
Andy Farman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I'd note that with regard to formatting, anyway, this already exists: http://qed.digitalbookworld.com/

Now, Joshua used to offer it as an included part of his formatting at eBA. Since Firebrand bought him, I don't see it on his site any longer, but I don't know if that's coincidental, or..? Anyway, we would have cheerfully participated in this, but it's $125/book, for freak's sake. Obviously, because JT was affiliated with them, he was getting (or giving?) the QED to his books for nada, or for such a greatly-reduced price that he could. (This isn't to be taken as any slight toward JT, or any implication of anything wrong, etc., but what bookmaker can pay $125 out of their fees per book, really?) But obviously, we can't. I mean...how do you do a $200 or less book and pay DBW $125 just to review it?

I'd be thrilled to see an affordable "Guild" that would have some type of approval on well-written or at least, edited books. Proofread, formatted. I'd be happy to help support something like this, within my limits. But you have to beware the power-hungry. I mean...what you're discussing is a bit like an exclusive HOA (Homeowner's Association) or non-profit volunteer organization, and this type of thing can get very ugly very fast, in my experience. My experience in this is pretty substantial, and I have yet to see one not go sideways due to abusers of power. FWIW.

Hitch
You do not need Absolute power to corrupt, just a sniff of it will do the job for some people.

For a second I thought there was a really good story in this, but then I remembered George Orwell already wrote it
Andy Farman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Farman View Post
You do not need Absolute power to corrupt, just a sniff of it will do the job for some people.

For a second I thought there was a really good story in this, but then I remembered George Orwell already wrote it
LOL,

Or, as Frank Herbert said, "power attracts the corruptible." ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Farman View Post
Three years between failed submissions is an awfully long time by the way. After all is said and done the Guild mark should, in my humble opinion, only guarantee that the book has been proofed for punctuation, grammar, typos, and to a limited extent that any requirement to suspend reality is minimal. It shouldn't aim to be a filter for potential best sellers. Remember that Harry Potter was rescued from a selectors bin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
There would also (I would think) need to be a procedure to follow if someone had a grievance against another member of the guild. And maybe a procedure to appeal if someone is probationary or rejected in order to not seem too strict. Otherwise someone might raise the claim of elitism or something.
Three years was a number I pulled off the top of my head. Numbers can be adjusted.

On the idea of the appeal process, one of the things that came to mind was timing it so when someone got another chance to apply, they'd have had a complete turnover in the board of evaluators, so they wouldn't be facing the same people. You can only serve one term of a certain number of years and then have to wait a longer period before you can serve another. So one board might be overly elitist, while another the opposite.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #19
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It seems to be like paying for reviews, and if the review thinks the book is good, you get to put the group's symbol of quality on your book. There would be a few hurdles. One, readers have to know and understand what that symbol means. The reviews would have to be impartial, or the value would be lost. Every author that is turned away is lost revenue for the guild, and there would be incentive to award the symbol to undeserving books. It would be necessary to resist this pressure.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
. One, readers have to know and understand what that symbol means.
It seems to me that would be a PR problem. Someone with some skill in PR would have to be either in the guild or hired to promote it in some way so that word got out about the symbol and what it means.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My advice is to start small. Several people have noted potential problems. No matter how this evolves, someone will have to do some work. Volunteers are notoriously eager until work has to be performed. But I like the idea.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Another thing that occurred to me is that someone will have to design the symbol and make sure it doesn't violate anyone else's copyright. There are a lot of trademarked symbols out there now days.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
My advice is to start small. Several people have noted potential problems. No matter how this evolves, someone will have to do some work. Volunteers are notoriously eager until work has to be performed. But I like the idea.
You used that four letter work ending in 'k'!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #24
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
Interesting topic. One problem with guilds is that they can sometimes make it very difficult for a person to get his product out there. Acting guild Equity have prevented many films from being completed on trivial grounds.
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #25
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bleach View Post
Interesting topic. One problem with guilds is that they can sometimes make it very difficult for a person to get his product out there. Acting guild Equity have prevented many films from being completed on trivial grounds.
Equity handles stage actors. SAG/AFTRA handles film and TV actors. It's possible that an actor doing both stage and screen could have Equity cause a film delay but I'd think it's rare.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #26
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Equity handles stage actors. SAG/AFTRA handles film and TV actors. It's possible that an actor doing both stage and screen could have Equity cause a film delay but I'd think it's rare.
Thanks for the info. I was reading about it in Ken Russell's autobiography, given that the book was written largely in the late 80s and he directed screen and theatre - I think I got the wrong end of the stick.
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"So yes, it could be open to vanity self-pub authors if they can get approval from the evaluators."

I am always amused by the vehemence with which Kindle publishers (on the KDP forums) insist on distinguishing between themselves and those pathetic vanity publishers. I can't see the difference, unless it be that the vanity publisher is putting some serious money behind his art, so ought to be more admired rather than less!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #28
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
"So yes, it could be open to vanity self-pub authors if they can get approval from the evaluators."

I am always amused by the vehemence with which Kindle publishers (on the KDP forums) insist on distinguishing between themselves and those pathetic vanity publishers. I can't see the difference, unless it be that the vanity publisher is putting some serious money behind his art, so ought to be more admired rather than less!
On some level I agree with you, as both methods essentially allow anyone to publish almost anything. I think the remaining distinction, however, is that KDP style publishing is truly publication, where the work is put before the public, and it must live or die by public reception. Vanity houses are usually thought of as just printers. Copies are most often sold back to the author to do with what he will...very often given away as a promotional devices or offered only to a small specialized group. So I think KDP style publishing is at least thought of as putting work out believing in its merits, while vanity presses are thought of as merely paying for a pretty package.

Last edited by ApK; 06-28-2013 at 08:12 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote