Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Stodder
Connoisseur
Stodder began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle
Can KindleGen's combo KF8/MOBI files be run on all Kindles?

Hi guys,

I know that the latest KindleGen build makes hybrid files that have both KF8 and MOBI inside them. But does anyone know if these combo KF8/MOBI files can be run on all Kindles?

Kindle Previewer says yes... but I can't check on my Kindle DX because I broke it by accident over the weekend (1 unstable coffee table + one old Kindle DX + one slightly drunk house guest = sad times).

Any help would be great!

Stodder
Stodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I tested combo files with my Kindle 3 and had no problems reading the .mobi part with it. Since even Mobipocket Reader will read them without problems, most likely older Kindles will be able to read them as well.
BTW, if you're planning to sell your book on Amazon, you won't have to worry about this issue because Amazon will deliver only one of the two formats to the buyers, depending on the devices or apps that they have.

Last edited by Doitsu; 07-22-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Doitsu is right. The KF8 part is just ignored by older Kindles - they don't see it at all.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Stodder
Connoisseur
Stodder began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle
Thanks! I learned something new and useful !
Stodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kf8, kf8/mobi, kindle, kindlegen, mobi