Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
planetthoughtful
planetthoughtful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Convert epub that has hard margin / indentation?

Hi All,

I'm trying to convert an epub file to mobi output. The epub has a hard margin on the left, as if the entire document was indented by 4 or 5 spaces.

Ideally, I'd like to remove this hard indent and have indented first lines for paragraphs.

Can anyone help me work out how to do this?

Many thanks in advance,

pt
planetthoughtful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
By hard margin do you mean hard line breaks? If so try enabling Heuristics under the conversion options, specifically the unwrap lines option.

The answer to the margin question depends on how the margins are defined. It may be automatically fixed by heuristics. Otherwise you can try editing the epub using the tweak epub feature or Sigil and editing the css. In the same way you can add indents.

By your description though I suspect the epub might have been created using an online pdftohtml tool - they can have some ugly html, cleaning it up might only work if you take drastic measures like converting to text/rtf first and hand editing the file.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetthoughtful View Post
I'm trying to convert an epub file to mobi output. The epub has a hard margin on the left, as if the entire document was indented by 4 or 5 spaces.
Try this in Preferences, check Ignore margins in the Output Options - Mobi Output section then go to Common Options - Look & Feel - check Remove spacing between paragraphs and enter a indent size, I use 1.1em.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-08-2011 at 04:16 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Try this in Preferences, check Ignore margins in the Output Options - Mobi Output section then go to Common Options - Look & Feel - check Remove spacing between paragraphs and enter a indent size, I use 1.1em.
Should have realized he was probably using a Kindle, didn't catch the mobi output bit...
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
planetthoughtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Thank you, I think you've got it! It looks like the crucial step I was missing was the "Ignore margins" option under Mobi Output.

Thank you again!

pt
Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
planetthoughtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Should have realized he was probably using a Kindle, didn't catch the mobi output bit...
Yes, definitely am using a Kindle. Although, the issue was there when I viewed the original epub format version, it wasn't being introduced by the conversion to mobi format.

All the best,

pt

Tags
epub conversion, indentation, margin, remove