Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Yew are right. Not only does it not double space, it does not space at all!

But how can that be, if the reader is adding extra spaces?

Title and author are also as yew say.

I know there is an easy fix here (preferably one that does NOT involve Calibre), but so far I can't seem to find it!
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
Yew are right. Not only does it not double space, it does not space at all!
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by 'it does not space at all'... When I open the book, I see the paragraphs all divided and starting at the next line.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sein View Post
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by 'it does not space at all'... When I open the book, I see the paragraphs all divided and starting at the next line.
Yes. That's what I see, too. But there is no space at all between paragraphs. One ends, another begins on the very next line.

The files *I* have, the paragraph ends, and there are TWO SPACES before the next paragraph begins. But that is not the way the files are programmed.

Very curious!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Time to get technical about this. Looking over the file ("A Fine and Private Place"), I found this in the FB2:

"Yes," Mr. Rebeck said, turning back, "but if life is the only distinction between the living and the dead?I don't think I'm alive. Not really." </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "You're alive," the raven said. "You hide behind gravestones, but it follows you. You ran away from it nineteen years ago, and it follows you like a skip-tracer." He cackled softly. "Life must love you very much." </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "I don't want to be loved," Mr. Rebeck cried. "It's a burden on me." </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "Well, that's your affair," the raven said. "I got my own problems." His black wings beat in a small thunder. "I gotta get moving. Let's have the bags and stuff." </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> Mr. Rebeck went into the mausoleum and came out a few moments later with five empty paper bags and an empty milk container. The raven took the bags in his claws and waved aside the container. "I'll pick that up later. Carry it now and I'll have to walk home." He sprang into the air and flapped slowly away over Central Avenue. </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "Good-by," Mr. Rebeck called after him. </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "See you," the raven croaked and disappeared behind a huge elm. Mr. Rebeck stretched himself, sat down again on the steps, and watched the sun climb. He felt a bit disconcerted. Usually, the raven brought him food twice a day, they exchanged some backchat, and that was that. Sometimes they didn't even talk. I don't know that bird at all, he thought, and it's been all these years. I know ghosts better than I know that small bird. He drew his knees up to his chin and thought about that. It was a new thought, and Mr. Rebeck treasured new thoughts. He hadn't had too many lately, and he knew it was his fault. The cemetery wasn't conducive to new thoughts; the environment wasn't right. It was a place for counting over the old, stored thoughts, stroking them lovingly and carefully, as if they were fine glassware, wondering if they could be thought any other way, and knowing deeply and securely that this way was the best. So he examined the new thought closely but gingerly, stood close to it to get the details and then away from it for perspective; he stretched it, thinned it, patted it into different shapes, gradually molding it to fit the contours of his mind. A rush of wings made him look up. The raven was circling ten or fifteen feet above him, calling to him. </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

Clearly the double spacing IS in the file. How do I strip out the extra spaces and still leave one space between paragraphs?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Time to get technical about this. Looking over the file ("A Fine and Private Place"), I found this in the FB2:

"Yes," Mr. Rebeck said, turning back, "but if life is the only distinction between the living and the dead?I don't think I'm alive. Not really." </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "You're alive," the raven said. "You hide behind gravestones, but it follows you. You ran away from it nineteen years ago, and it follows you like a skip-tracer." He cackled softly. "Life must love you very much." </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "I don't want to be loved," Mr. Rebeck cried. "It's a burden on me." </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "Well, that's your affair," the raven said. "I got my own problems." His black wings beat in a small thunder. "I gotta get moving. Let's have the bags and stuff." </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> Mr. Rebeck went into the mausoleum and came out a few moments later with five empty paper bags and an empty milk container. The raven took the bags in his claws and waved aside the container. "I'll pick that up later. Carry it now and I'll have to walk home." He sprang into the air and flapped slowly away over Central Avenue. </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "Good-by," Mr. Rebeck called after him. </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

<p> "See you," the raven croaked and disappeared behind a huge elm. Mr. Rebeck stretched himself, sat down again on the steps, and watched the sun climb. He felt a bit disconcerted. Usually, the raven brought him food twice a day, they exchanged some backchat, and that was that. Sometimes they didn't even talk. I don't know that bird at all, he thought, and it's been all these years. I know ghosts better than I know that small bird. He drew his knees up to his chin and thought about that. It was a new thought, and Mr. Rebeck treasured new thoughts. He hadn't had too many lately, and he knew it was his fault. The cemetery wasn't conducive to new thoughts; the environment wasn't right. It was a place for counting over the old, stored thoughts, stroking them lovingly and carefully, as if they were fine glassware, wondering if they could be thought any other way, and knowing deeply and securely that this way was the best. So he examined the new thought closely but gingerly, stood close to it to get the details and then away from it for perspective; he stretched it, thinned it, patted it into different shapes, gradually molding it to fit the contours of his mind. A rush of wings made him look up. The raven was circling ten or fifteen feet above him, calling to him. </p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

Clearly the double spacing IS in the file. How do I strip out the extra spaces and still leave one space between paragraphs?
Those tags appear backwards Open then close
<p> </p> Forget it, just not Pretty
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #21
rezidue
rezidue began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
I've been running the new firmware for a bit now and this is what I've seen:

- Bookmarks created for an epub now save when I return to the book
- epub's still do not return to the last viewed page when loading
- .lit loads the same horrible way it did in the past
- Coolreader seems to be mangling my txt files. It is bolding lines and creating odd formatting like page breaks with a quoted line in bold at the top. Turning on preformatting helped but it also creates odd formatting with no spaces between paragraphs and loss of indentation
rezidue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #22
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Those tags appear backwards Open then close
<p> </p> Forget it, just not Pretty
He probably just missed the first one when he cut'n'pasted. As html doesn't care about lines, it's OK to

Code:
<p> stuff
</p><p>
</p>
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
He probably just missed the first one when he cut'n'pasted. As html doesn't care about lines, it's OK to

Code:
<p> stuff
</p><p>
</p>
Isn't a new Paragraph a line that starts with 2 SPACES rather than 2 blank lines?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #24
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
reading txt

All I know is that I'm very happy with the new firmware in reading books formatted as text with utf8.

Just have to get used to a lot!!! of menus. but a big improvement is there's now font size previews, instead of cycling thru them blindly.

And the page turning is fasssst.

System font had to be reselected. it defaulted back to boring Times. I much prefer Tahoma.
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #25
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Isn't a new Paragraph a line that starts with 2 SPACES rather than 2 blank lines?
html ignores white space.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
html ignores white space.
I did not say that right (I know HTML allows Human style pretty formating that have little to do with what is displayed in a browser.)

The code had 2 empty P tags. I thought EPUB ignored this (reflow) and used a 2 space indent to start a new Paragraph.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #27
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
I did not say that right (I know HTML allows Human style pretty formating that have little to do with what is displayed in a browser.)

The code had 2 empty P tags. I thought EPUB ignored this (reflow) and used a 2 space indent to start a new Paragraph.
Ah I see. I don't actually know what ePub readers are supposed to do, but I suspect implementation will vary. I wouldn't be surprised to see <p></p> interpreted as "start a new paragraph", or even with a blank line first.

As for indent, wouldn't that be in the style sheet? (warning: I am only learning about ePub at this point )
Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #28
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Anyone else have images missing when viewing ePub in Coolreader? All I get is a white box with a thin black border. The same ebook in the same format could display the images when not in Coolreader. I'm also getting some double spacing between paragraphs like Thomas. That inverse display is just ridiculous.

Changing font sizes is really good in Coolreader, great not having to cycle through them all to drop down a size. Page turns are as fast as Nov firmware (which is what I have been using until this update). I rather like many of the options that are available in Coolreader.

Last edited by Javed; 03-14-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:46 AM   #29
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Okay that's what I wanted to hear. That someone else's is working fine. That means there is hope, at least for this. But then again, if I am having problems (and I tried it with several files?) then how do I fix them? Hmm...
I really do not know if this has anything to do with your double line space problem, but I found some sample .CSS files for CoolReader when I was browsing the web looking for CoolReader info. The file name is new-cr3-ui-data-20090311.tar.gz. It is located at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/files/
You put those files in a crengine folder at the root of the filesysyem. The .CSS files included are:
epub.css
fb2.css
htm.css
rtf.css
txt.css
Those files will determine how those formats will look when CoolReader displays them. The CSS files will override the UI settings in the CoolReader interface, but the CSS file inside of an EPUB file will override the local CSS file. As DaleDe pointed out, you can get CoolReader to display EPUB just by adding .FB2 to the end of the EPUB filename. Then you have all of CoolReader's font selections available in EPUB! I do not know enough about CSS to know, but maybe you can find a CSS setting that will overcome your double line spacing problem?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:55 AM   #30
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You put those files in a crengine folder at the root of the filesysyem. The .CSS files included are:
epub.css
fb2.css
htm.css
rtf.css
txt.css
Those files will determine how those formats will look when CoolReader displays them. The CSS files will override the UI settings in the CoolReader interface, but the CSS file inside of an EPUB file will override the local CSS file.
Thanks for this advice! I tried it and it works very well. Now I have changed the text alignment of all book formats from 'justify' (which I hate ) to 'left' (which I love )! I'm making more adjustments—like using the bold font so texts are more readable—and they work really fine. Thanks again.

Last edited by sein; 03-14-2010 at 05:05 AM.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote