Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Converting to LRF from RTF

I'm using Calibre to convert RTF docs to LRF. Sometimes it works fine but other times the format of the LRF is horrible; in other words I get one giant paragraph instead of proper paragraphs that I see in the RTF file. Is there a specific format style the RTF doc needs to be in to get proper paragraphs versus the giant paragraph? It's really frustrating to read one paragraph, makes stopping in the middle of the story difficult.
In case anyone wonders why this doesn't happen every time, it's because I'm copying fanfiction stories to be read on my 505 and it seems every website has their own formatting requirements.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post

I'm using Calibre to convert RTF docs to LRF. Sometimes it works fine but other times the format of the LRF is horrible; in other words I get one giant paragraph instead of proper paragraphs that I see in the RTF file. Is there a specific format style the RTF doc needs to be in to get proper paragraphs versus the giant paragraph? It's really frustrating to read one paragraph, makes stopping in the middle of the story difficult.
In case anyone wonders why this doesn't happen every time, it's because I'm copying fanfiction stories to be read on my 505 and it seems every website has their own formatting requirements.
I hope someone knows the answer to this question because I've had the same problems myself trying to convert RTF directly to LRF.

If you are using Microsoft Word there is a button that'll show hidden formatting. I've used that to convert the ^l (line breaks) to ^p (paragraph breaks) that seems to help somewhat?

Mostly I've been using Microsoft Office 97 to convert RTF to HTML and then from there convert to LRF. it's a bit more work but it's easier to control the elements in HTML.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're better off converting the RTF to html in word or whatever, you can see what's happening then.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote