Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Year and a half later, I've finally chosen

After asking for advice in December of 2007, I ended up just watching the market and waiting for a reader to really tempt me. Last week it finally happened and I now have a shiny new Astak Ez Reader (hanlin v3).

My criteria for selecting a reader is likely different from a lot of people, open format with an SDK and compatible with openinkpot were both a big part of why I chose this unit. The ability to read foreign (Armenian) books was also a must. The final thing that pushed me over the edge was finding it for less than $300, it finally hit a price point that I was willing to risk on a device that was more than likely not perfect (since nothing I have seen yet is "perfect", this is a given).

The ability to buy the latest novel was not a factor at all. Until I can buy a novel without DRM, I will stick with the free books I can find and my own content. This was, at least in part, my opinion when I had a rocketbook. The fact that the DRM'ed content (fortunately only free stuff) is no longer available to me just makes me even more determined never to support it.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations on your new EZ Reader! I hope it serves you well. What patience you have.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Enjoy your new gadget. Now all you have left to do is change the info in your user profile from Reader: none yet to Reader: EZ Reader.

I hope I'll have my first reader in a few weeks.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Enjoy your new gadget. Now all you have left to do is change the info in your user profile from Reader: none yet to Reader: EZ Reader.
Good catch. I have now changed it.

Quote:
I hope I'll have my first reader in a few weeks.
Which one are you thinking of getting?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations on your new EZ Reader, hyegeek!

I don't know how you held out for so long.

I hope you have many happy hours, days, and years of reading enjoyment with your new Reader.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Excellent... welcome to the eInk club... !!!

What is the first book you read/will read on it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
Which one are you thinking of getting?
The Sony 600. It has everything I'm looking for (search and dictionary and being able to use library books). As long as the screen is much better than on the 700 I'm sold.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I don't know how you held out for so long.
Pickyness and too many other projects.

The pickyness had to do with the rocket book I used to have, while I liked it, it made me cautious.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Excellent... welcome to the eInk club... !!!

What is the first book you read/will read on it?

BOb
Well the first day I tried to read The Scarlet Pimpernel, Dracula and the Count of Monte Cristo all at the same time, while trying to play with the features of my new toy. This of course while really wanting to get back to that last chapter of a paper Clive Custler novel...

After I settled down enough to actually try to finish something, I have started my way through "Whose Body?" by Dorithy Sayers, my favorite mystery author. I've also been reading the bible in both English and Armenian.

After the Sayes book, I will start working through my list of Gutenberg titles that I have been longing to read.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
The Sony 600. It has everything I'm looking for (search and dictionary and being able to use library books). As long as the screen is much better than on the 700 I'm sold.

The new Sony was certainly in the running for me. I had already decided I wanted the the Hanlin when I read about that one and almost had to start re-evaluating again.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
The Aztac Pocket Pro caught my eye a little while back. Now the Sony 300 has me tempted, with the same 5" screen and compatibility with my current Sony books.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Hyegeek, welcome to club. I like your name, I'm a hye geek too :-).

Where do you buy/find/get Armenian books? I have one on Sony in pdf format.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
Hyegeek, welcome to club. I like your name, I'm a hye geek too :-).

Where do you buy/find/get Armenian books? I have one on Sony in pdf format.
So far, I have only converted the bible published by the Armenian Orthodox Church into unicode and then to epub; however it looks like http://www.armenianlexiconproject.org is a good place to start looking for Armenian texts.