Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I partly agree and partly don't agree. Yes, DRM can be removed from SOME books but not everyone is going to be able to do it nor everyone is going to have the time and energy to do it. So, the effects of DRM that limits its distribution is not null. In other words, it's not a moot point.
I think Alisa's point was specifically about the availability of ebooks on the darknet. You're right, the average consumer probably won't be interested enough in removing DRM to learn how to do it, but someone who wants to pirate the ebook certainly will (and can). So DRM doesn't really hinder the pirates, it only hinders the average consumer.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
And here's another problem they'll have to face... free ebooks without DRM from upcoming writers and all the classics available from places like Feedbooks.

I wouldn't have to spend another penny and I could read for the rest of my life for free with just a smidgen of the wide PD catalogue that's available. I could also limit my choice to upcoming writers (lots of them about and lots producing good work) who refuse DRM on their works. Donating to them is worth the price if not only to support their talent, but also the ease of use of their products.
The free books definitely get me to try new things and I suppose it does take some sales away from other books because I'm spending some time reading free ones rather than books I bought, but ultimately books are not a fungible commodity. If they were, I'd have one and read it over and over again. I'm persnickety about what I read at any given moment. If I'm in the mood for a given book, I'll pay for it even if I have 100 free, interesting looking books queued up. Free doesn't really rate on what makes a book attractive to me. It will get me to download it and maybe I'll try it, just as the free Amazon samples do, but I won't persist through the book merely because it's free and I won't read a classic, no matter how great it is, if I'm in the mood for something more modern at the moment.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #18
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I would think the average consumer might be interested in removing the DRM after getting annoyed by it for a bit.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #19
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
That person obviously didn't read my email

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, DUH .... no one is complaining about it because maybe 1 percent of the people who have a Kindle even KNOW about DRM restrictions. Are the people at Amazon really that stupid??
Um... yeah!

Here was the canned response I got when I sent an email protesting the DMCA abuse. (For what it is worth, I wasn't protesting DRM -- just Amazon's efforts to restrict where we purchase our DRM content for the Kindle...

Short version: "Don't blame us! Blame the evil publishers"

Thanks for sending us your comments about Digital Rights Management for Amazon Kindle content. Publishers choose whether or not they apply DRM to their content, and when they do, we respect and protect that DRM. Today you can read books purchased from the Kindle Store on Kindle, Kindle 2, the iPhone, and the iPod touch.

Please see the information posted in the License Agreement and Terms of Use and the Kindle Store:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlelicense
http://www.amazon.com/kindlestore

Due to the nature of DRM, we do not comment on individual situations where we are protecting the DRM that publishers choose to have.

Your comments and questions help us continue to improve the service we provide, and we appreciate the time you took to write to us.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
If not, click here:
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #20
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Exactly!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I partly agree and partly don't agree. Yes, DRM can be removed from SOME books but not everyone is going to be able to do it nor everyone is going to have the time and energy to do it. So, the effects of DRM that limits its distribution is not null. In other words, it's not a moot point.
This year, I gave one of my friends a Sony PRS-505. In turn, her aunt got hooked and went right out and bought one. So I was obviously happy to share my (non-DRM) content with them. Despite very detailed instructions on how to import via either the Sony Library software or via Calibre, they both experienced the human equivalent of blue screen of death...

Even just giving them the content on an SD card and experiencing the delay associated with the reader... well, er... reading all the new content caused them to panic that there was something wrong and they both started hitting buttons like monkeys on crack.

Yeah, there are always going to be hackers who will take advantage of the system and steal content (like getting movies illegally over the internet). However, the vast majority of people aren't going to expend the effort to learn how to circumvent the system and would just prefer to plunk down 15 bucks for the instant gratification of buy the book legally.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
drm