Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the return of agency pricing with no discount?
Yes, I want it return 2 2.17%
No, I don't want it return 90 97.83%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Anything under $20 seems perfectly reasonable to me. Like Harry, I generally don't care what a book costs--if I want it, I want it.

Now, if it's a new-to-me author, I might be a bit more hesitant to spend as much, and look in the library or decide to read something else.
I think what really gets me is not being allowed to use a coupon if I have one. Also I never used to buy books from Amazon because I didn't want to reward their walled garden, but with the prices being the same that's where I will buy. Are the publishers too stupid to realize that they are just strengthening Amazon if they do this?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Buy low, then liberate
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #18
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
I won't pay over £10 for an ebook, I don't care who it's from. Price does matter to me. Between £6 and £10 is a stretch, it'll have to be some kind of special edition thing. I just don't think ebooks are worth that much. I know people will say otherwise, but really they are not.

And tbh, if people are in a position to not care about money, okay, good for you. But not everyone is. I think it's shitty that books are being placed out of the budget of many people, just because the industry is looking to price gouge.
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Sciles View Post
And tbh, if people are in a position to not care about money, okay, good for you. But not everyone is. I think it's shitty that books are being placed out of the budget of many people, just because the industry is looking to price gouge.
Didn't say I didn't care about money. It's a matter of priorities. I am very frugal about most things--which means I can afford to buy the books I want.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #20
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I won't pay over £10 for an ebook, I don't care who it's from. Price does matter to me. Between £6 and £10 is a stretch, it'll have to be some kind of special edition thing. I just don't think ebooks are worth that much. I know people will say otherwise, but really they are not.

It not that I don't care about money. France have fixed prises for books, us / uk publishers are cheaper even without discount.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Not even if it's an omnibus edition of several books? I think, for example, the 12-volume complete set of George MacDonald Fraser's "The Flashman Papers":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashman-Pap.../dp/B00DFPDBBM

is reasonable priced at £32.53 - that's £2.71 a book. I bought it in a special offer at £9.98, but I would have happily bought it at the full price had I not done so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I can tell you who would like that--Indie authors. A lot of us found them when we refused to pay ridiculous Agency prices. If we go back to that, I go back to not buying books. I have enough to read--even though I am 25 out of 56 for my library's 2 copies of Mr. Mercedes, I am enjoying Under the Dome right now (that I remember was windowed, back in the day, and as a form of protest I went out and got the book on the dark net a day or two after it came out, and then bought it when it finally came out in ebook form and deleted the pirated copy. And I am just now reading it. That is the kind of principal I like--it hurt me not at all!)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why do you consider agency prices to be "ridiculous"?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #24
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not even if it's an omnibus edition of several books? I think, for example, the 12-volume complete set of George MacDonald Fraser's "The Flashman Papers":

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashman-Pap.../dp/B00DFPDBBM

is reasonable priced at £32.53 - that's £2.71 a book. I bought it in a special offer at £9.98, but I would have happily bought it at the full price had I not done so.
Aargh - I missed that omnibus. I've already bought most of the Flashman Papers individually, so too late for the omnibus for me.

Wonderful books - I love everything about them - very well written, lots of fascinating historical detail, a brilliant basic concept and, above all, enormous fun to read.

On the main topic of the thread, I agree with Harry and others - most books are already phenomenal value for money - compare the price a book with the price of a take-away meal or a drink in a pub.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #25
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
I find hardcover books at Target that are cheaper than the Agency books were. I find the inability to lend the ebook to a friend or donate it to the library to be a significant detriment. Therefore, I think an ebook should cost less than the hardcover version, both because of the increased costs of pbooks and the decreased rights with ebooks. But I remember during Agency I wanted to read King's JFK (can't remember the title, I believe it was the date JFK was assassinated) and it was $16.99 for the ebook. But the pbook was at Target for $14.99. That is why I hate Agency. I feel taken advantage of. I wouldn't care if that money was going to the author (not King, he is rich enough), but I know it was going to the publisher, and was not because that was the value of the ebook, but because they wanted to prop up the value of the hardcover.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I honestly don't think you'll find an eBook that costs more than the list price of a hardback. Supermarkets massively discount popular books as a loss-leader for other sales. That doesn't (IMHO) make the undiscounted eBook price "ridiculous". Prices always fall enormously if you wait for the paperback release - you'll really pay through the nose by buying newly-released books.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Supermarkets massively discount popular books as a loss-leader for other sales.
Amazon should be allowed to do the same thing with ebooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #28
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I voted yes because obviously everyone else voted no.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #29
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I find hardcover books at Target that are cheaper than the Agency books were. I find the inability to lend the ebook to a friend or donate it to the library to be a significant detriment. Therefore, I think an ebook should cost less than the hardcover version, both because of the increased costs of pbooks and the decreased rights with ebooks. But I remember during Agency I wanted to read King's JFK (can't remember the title, I believe it was the date JFK was assassinated) and it was $16.99 for the ebook. But the pbook was at Target for $14.99. That is why I hate Agency. I feel taken advantage of. I wouldn't care if that money was going to the author (not King, he is rich enough), but I know it was going to the publisher, and was not because that was the value of the ebook, but because they wanted to prop up the value of the hardcover.
Quote:
I honestly don't think you'll find an eBook that costs more than the list price of a hardback. Supermarkets massively discount popular books as a loss-leader for other sales. That doesn't (IMHO) make the undiscounted eBook price "ridiculous". Prices always fall enormously if you wait for the paperback release - you'll really pay through the nose by buying newly-released books.
11/22/63 by Stephen King is now $2.99 and has been since November.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #30
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Because some books are just worth it, and many people read too much of those to pay that kind of money.

Take the newest Terry Brooks Shannara book ("The High Druid's Blade"), for example. In the Netherlands, it retais for €19.95, for both the hardcover and the ebook. In the US, it retails at $19.95 for the hardcover (€14.70). At Amazon and Kobo US, the ebook retails for $13.99 (€9.50).

I can imagine the hardcover being more expensive in the Netherlands, as it has to be imported, and taxes and VAT are levied. For the e-book however, the price difference is 50%! I can buy it in the UK, or US, or anywhere, and have it delivered within seconds. I don't need to buy it in The Netherlands.

Now, imagine this book had been agency priced, costing the equivalent of €19.95 everywhere; it would have cost $27.15. Wouldn't that be a bit much for a 320 page book, that some people can read in two or three days?

Even going with the lower price of $14, many people don't have the money to spend $14 per three days on books. That would be $1700 a year. I could do it, but I don't want to. A 300-ish page fantasy story isn't worth that much for me.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-12-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote