Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Azkahuna
Azkahuna began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Multiple Libraries

I have created multiple libraries in Calibre: Fiction; Non-fiction; Scientific publications; Magazines, etc. How can I create a single index that spans all my libraries so I can locate a specific book or author, regardless of which library it is in? Or can I create either another library, or a 'virtual library' of 'favorite books', with several selections from each library without creating a duplicate file, only links? Many thanks
Azkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkahuna View Post
I have created multiple libraries in Calibre: Fiction; Non-fiction; Scientific publications; Magazines, etc. How can I create a single index that spans all my libraries so I can locate a specific book or author, regardless of which library it is in? Or can I create either another library, or a 'virtual library' of 'favorite books', with several selections from each library without creating a duplicate file, only links? Many thanks
IMHO you have it backwards
Make 1 big Library, then create Virtual Libraries... Noting that search does NOT work across Active Virtual Libraries (you must be in un-restricted view)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I have created multiple libraries in Calibre: Fiction; Non-fiction; Scientific publications; Magazines, etc. How can I create a single index that spans all my libraries so I can locate a specific book or author, regardless of which library it is in?
The only way I know of to do this is to have all of the books in one big library. Then, within that all encompassing library you would create virtual libraries for each topic above.

While in the virtual library for Scientific publications all you will see is a library that contains only Scientific publications as you outlined. It will act just like your current Scientific publications library in all facets. The difference is that if you want to search across all of your libraries you would simple exit out of your virtual library and search the one all encompassing library.

I have been using virtual libraries within calibre for 2 years and the feature works great.

Quote:
Or can I create either another library, or a 'virtual library' of 'favorite books', with several selections from each library without creating a duplicate file, only links?
Not that aware of.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Azkahuna

Thanks for the feedback. I started with one library but I have over 7000 books, papers articles, publications, etc. and it is just too unwieldly to try to develop search parameters when I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I know what library it should be in. I can put new books into an appropriate library, without having to first establish tags, or add a bunch of categories for other specific identifiers, and each library folder isn't as massive as one large one and can be stored in different locations. Also I can save a backup of each library, or share it without a lot on inappropriate books being included. Right now I use a virtual library in each library to catalog my 'favorites' or unread, I was just hoping I could have a central index that would link and reference them. Apparently not, but thanks again for your help.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Azkahuna

I am curious as to why the program would even have the capability to create multiple libraries if there is no meaningful way to interactively access them without duplicating a file?
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I am curious as to why the program would even have the capability to create multiple libraries if there is no meaningful way to interactively access them without duplicating a file?
Because users asked for this!

For a long time only a single physical library was supported with the ability to use searches to have 'virtual libraries' within that.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Azkahuna, why not create a Catalog for each Library? It will not provide links but at least you would have a list of what books are in which library.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I started with one library but I have over 7000 books, papers articles, publications, etc. and it is just too unwieldly to try to develop search parameters when I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I know what library it should be in.
Virtual libraries are functionally no different from separate libraries. If you know something is in the Fiction library you either go to the separate Fiction library or the virtual Fiction library the end result functions the same.

Moving a book to a separate library or a virtual library is equally easy. I have 13000 books a single library with multiple virtual libraries and search parameters to create a virtual library are simpler than you may imagine.

If you want it in the Scientific publications library simply tag it with Scientific publications and setup up a virtual library that searches for tags:"=Scientific publications". Repeat for each library.

Or you could create a custom column for your library headings and search for #yourcolumnhere:"=Scientific publications"

Quote:
and each library folder isn't as massive as one large one and can be stored in different locations.
True, separate libraries may provide benefits that virtual libraries do not. Virtual libraries are not the solution for everyone and separate libraries work fine, but you lose some features that you want.

Quote:
Also I can save a backup of each library
Backups are no harder or easier because you have multiple libraries.

Quote:
or share it without a lot on inappropriate books being included.
True, if you physically share your libraries. However if you share you library via the content server you can restrict the content server to one virtual library.

Quote:
thanks again for your help.
You're welcome.

Quote:
As itimpi stated multiple libraries exist because users requested the ability. Multiple libraries were never an overall design goal of Kovid's, but he often listens to users requests.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I imagine that one of the reasons people wanted different physical libraries is because they wanted different custom columns for different 'sorts of books', or that they used standard columns for different purposes.

If Calibre were to have a Group Library feature, I suspect it would exclude columns that were not common to all of the libraries in the Group. Even then the same column can be used for different purposes in different libraries. In my Journals library I put Journal Name in Author, and Edition Identifier (edition, date, folio etc) in Title.

If you want to search across multiple libraries you could use the search facilities that your operating system provides, or 3rd party products like DocFetcher, File Locator, Recoll etc.

If you use Windows 7/8 you could create a Windows Library for ebooks, then include your calibre library folders in it, to create the sort of virtual library you're seeking - it might give you some of what you want.

Software never does everything one wants, but if it does 90%, then that creates the opportunity to use one's imagination to devise 'outside the box' solutions for the other 10% - which could be seen as a blessing.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-04-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you want to search across multiple libraries you could use the search facilities that your operating system provides, or 3rd party products like DocFetcher, File Locator, Recoll etc.

If you use Windows 7/8 you could create a Windows Library for ebooks, then include your calibre library folders in it, to create the sort of virtual library you're seeking - it might give you some of what you want.
I learn something new every day.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I learn something new every day.
And may that long continue
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I started with one library but I have over 7000 books, papers articles, publications, etc. and it is just too unwieldly to try to develop search parameters when I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I know what library it should be in. I can put new books into an appropriate library, without having to first establish tags, or add a bunch of categories for other specific identifiers, and each library folder isn't as massive as one large one and can be stored in different locations. Also I can save a backup of each library, or share it without a lot on inappropriate books being included. Right now I use a virtual library in each library to catalog my 'favorites' or unread, I was just hoping I could have a central index that would link and reference them. Apparently not, but thanks again for your help.
Once I had seperate libraries because processing speed becomes longer when the library approaches 3000 books and I have far more than that.

Once I converted 100 books and it took 20+ minutes to return from the non responding state after the conversions were complete. Moving the same books to a library of there own and processing them took around five minutes including the copy to temp library and copy back.

But I found dealing with multiple libraries more cumbersome.

I created a new library and mde a custom column based on tags.
I imported the smaller libraries one by one and tagged them in the custom column (named genre) to indicate which type before importing the next using copy to library function, and of my organizing was done. I simply click on the genre in the tag browser to get a virtual library. (I do use the virtual library for more complex searches). Took maybe a few hours, but shoudn't take more than an hour at most for 7000 books.

Whenever I want to convert or edit or update 50 or more books at a time I copy them to my temp library and process them and copy them back. Much faster.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
Azkahuna

Red face

Thanks again for your feedback, especially BetteRed and Speakingtohe. You've given me a couple of suggestions worth trying. I guess I'm just difficult to please. When I totaled all my books and magazine issues in all my libraries, it is actually a little past 9000 which in total takes up just over 60gigs of harddrive space, currently only 20 gig is actually on my internal hd, as the other libraries which I don't use as often, are stored on an external hd and accessed by simply switching libraries when it is plugged into my usb port. Having one huge library means I have to commit to either my internal or external hd, which I had hoped to avoid. I had also hoped to avoid the time consuming and tedious task of having to go through and type in a tag for every new entry right off the bat with a genre, rather than just dumping them into the appropriate library, and deaing with more specific tag(s) later. My scientific publications and magazine articles already have tags for article topics and authors. Anyway, I can see my options are limited, but I really appreciate some of the suggestions, especially about creating a windows library or a 'temporary library' until I can get the time to give new books an appropriate genre for a virtual library, and/or other more detailed tags. I'll let you know how it turns out. Mahalo & Aloha
Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
When I sent some books to my second Library to cut down on space I just deleted the formats from my main library and left the details, so I can still see everything in one library.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Thanks again for your feedback, especially BetteRed and Speakingtohe. You've given me a couple of suggestions worth trying. I guess I'm just difficult to please. When I totaled all my books and magazine issues in all my libraries, it is actually a little past 9000 which in total takes up just over 60gigs of harddrive space, currently only 20 gig is actually on my internal hd, as the other libraries which I don't use as often, are stored on an external hd and accessed by simply switching libraries when it is plugged into my usb port. Having one huge library means I have to commit to either my internal or external hd, which I had hoped to avoid. I had also hoped to avoid the time consuming and tedious task of having to go through and type in a tag for every new entry right off the bat with a genre, rather than just dumping them into the appropriate library, and deaing with more specific tag(s) later. My scientific publications and magazine articles already have tags for article topics and authors. Anyway, I can see my options are limited, but I really appreciate some of the suggestions, especially about creating a windows library or a 'temporary library' until I can get the time to give new books an appropriate genre for a virtual library, and/or other more detailed tags. I'll let you know how it turns out. Mahalo & Aloha
60 gig seems pretty big for 9000 books. But it is not a lot in terms of disk space,

I would maybe suggest that you put all of your books in one library on your external and keep the libraries you have on your hard drive as is. Then if you want to locate a book not in your commonly used librararies you just have to plug in your external which you must have to do now anyway.

Making two libraries, one external and one internal is another approach, that way if you are looking for a book there would be only one switch.

It really is simple to tag the books with each library name as you combine them. And that way if you decide to split them again, they are already grouped by a ttag (I recommend a seperate custom column, because mistagged items in tags can cause confusion. ) and it doesn't have to be genre. Call it library, and tag fiction as fiction etc.

For myself a single library is the way to go. I Use my library to track books that I have read or really really want to read etc. and connecting to several libraries to update these things seems painful as I use the readers in this process. Would be easier if I just made notes, but can't seem to do that

Anyway it will come to you the best solution for your needs

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote