Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #31
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Sounds right. The one about the sex droid?
Might have to look that one up just for the LOL of it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #32
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Next and State of Fear by Michael Crichton
I was severely underwhelmed by Prey. It doesn't sound like his later books got any better. I wish I could find Andromeda Strain in ebook, reading that was one of my favorite memories growing up. I think I'll take another look and see if it's out yet.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #33
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I was severely underwhelmed by Prey. It doesn't sound like his later books got any better. I wish I could find Andromeda Strain in ebook, reading that was one of my favorite memories growing up. I think I'll take another look and see if it's out yet.
I finished "Prey"... I thought it was 'ok' but not great. I also read "Airframe" and felt about the same though it was in interesting insight into the building of airplanes.

"Next" I ended up putting down because... well... maybe I shouldn't give away part of the story.

Spoiler:

When the idea was tossed out that because the company owned the guy's cells they had legal claim to his... Kids? Relatives at least, cells as well and they were going after them with syringes to reclaim their propriety I put the book down. It was already saying how the guy going to get the cells had been drinking. Or needed a drink. That wasn't going to end well and some kid was going to get hurt.

I know Crichton wasn't saying this is how it SHOULD be but giving a warning that it COULD be this way. Some of the examples he gave of current laws I wanted to look up to see if they were true but never did. The fact that it could be possible that people would think this way just... is too wrong for me to handle I guess.

richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #34
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Pirate Latitudes pretty much sucked, but it was a "found on his computer after his death" book.

Hey, that's an idea! Let's start a thread on whether posthumous novels should be published!
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #35
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Since that spot on my list currently goes to Earth Abides, I'm going to have to read this one. By Justin Cronin?
Yes, indeed, and I think I heard somewhere that Ridley Scott is going to do the movie. I haven't read Earth Abides and I love Post-A so it is going on my to-read list.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #36
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
I have mentioned already how much I didn't like Earth Abides, but if Ridley's making a movie I'll be watching it.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #37
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
I have mentioned already how much I didn't like Earth Abides, but if Ridley's making a movie I'll be watching it.
Sorry for the confusion. I said the Passage was great Post-A and Queentess replied that The Earth Abides was her Post-A. My response was that Ridley might be making a movie of The Passage and I thought I should check out The Earth Abides because I like Post-A. My communication skills are not great.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #38
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I said the Passage was great Post-A and Queentess replied that The Earth Abides was her Post-A. My response was that Ridley might be making a movie of The Passage and I thought I should check out The Earth Abides because I like Post-A. My communication skills are not great.
I don't know that my comprehension skills are that reliable either.

I'm unfamiliar with the Passage, I'll put it on the short list. I was kind of grooving on the idea of Ridley doing Earth Abides though. It was fun to ponder which parts of the story he'd find interesting.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #39
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Another book I read in school I didn't like was Heart of Darkness. Unlike Tess, I didn't even finish that one and I was usually a pretty good student. I could not get into it or care about any character in it. It has been so long I can't really explain why. Maybe I should revisit it. After all, I liked Apocalypse Now.
By coincidence, I only just now mentioned in another thread enjoying Heart of Darkness. But I also mention that I've heard it referred to as "the longest short story ever written", so I suspect you have many sympathisers. I too enjoyed Apocalypse Now, but I can see how your affection doesn't reconcile with the book. I'm not going to suggest you revisit it though - then you'll just blame me if you still don't like it.

I know it's a given for many, but Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code is the best worst book I've ever read. For me, it was somewhat of a massive disaster, and yet I could not look away. But that's okay...an M&M McFlurry is a vile, dairy-like, calorific concoction of sickly sweetness barely passable as a foodstuff to any non-comatose tastebud...but sometimes, on rare occasions, by all the gods that didn't spawn such an unnatural, perverse creation, I'd sure as hell kill everyone in this room for one.

But the worst book I've read is The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch. Never have I had so little interest in the little lives and dramas of every, last, depthless, egotistical character in that book (one in particular), and it is without even any sufficiently compensatory tragedy to redeem it ("sufficiently" = killing-off the right people). I hated it, such that I've never had any remote desire to pick up anything, fiction or no, by Iris Murdoch ever again (though this is about desire, not commitment, and therefore always malleable to convincing argument ). I recognise this opinion of mine as being one not shared by many (better minds) who have read Murdoch's work. It is my own, and should be noted for that subjective worth.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #40
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Had to check my Goodreads list and found two examples of books that I found very heavy going:
The Little Book by Selden Edwards
The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd

Not classic literature, but still professionally published books that you'd expect at least a decent reading experience from.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 AM   #41
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I recently came to read the first 100 pages of Star Island by Carl Hiaasen. That's four hours of my life completely wasted that I will never get back.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #42
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Funny you should mention it, as I once wrote a piece about John Gardner's On Moral Fiction for an anthology with virtually the same title as that of your thread.

It was a difficult piece to write because my then-girlfriend worshiped the very same book that I despised so deeply. I half-expected to be sent away for good after she learned about that, but she proved to be far more forgiving than I was to Mr. Gardner.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-03-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #43
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan (Man Booker Prize Winner). Not exactly the worst book I ever read (and I have mentioned it in another thread a while ago, so apologies for boring anyone a second time), but certainly the most disappointing book in terms of not meeting my expectations. I was a big fan of McEwan's before this, and now I will never read another book by him.

If you are interested, this was my review of the book, written a while back:

Spoiler:
The main mystery of this short novel is how it won the Booker Prize. Ian McEwan has several splendid books to his credit - unfortunately this is not one of them. Whilst there is still much of the McEwan charm in the storytelling, it's the plot that lets it down.

AMSTERDAM is the story (very much like Martin Amis's THE INFORMATION) of two friends who are also rivals, each jealous of the other's success. Clive Linley is Britain's most successful modern composer, and Vernon Halliday is the editor of a leading quality broadsheet. The friends meet at the funeral of Molly, a past lover of both men, and subsequently enter into a bargain that will have far reaching consequences for both of them.

As Clive struggles with his Magnum Opus, his grip on reality becoming more and more tenuous, Vernon expends his energy trying to scupper the chances of the Foreign Secretary Julian Garmony (another of Molly's lovers) from becoming Prime Minister. As the story unfolds, the relationship between the two friends becomes increasingly acrimonious, eventually spiraling out of control, building towards an inevitable and calamitous climax.

The denouement in Amsterdam, when the friends enact their promises to each other, is frankly ridiculous, and asks for a suspension of disbelief above and beyond what all but the most accommodating of readers could manage.

A sub-plot, where Clive is a suspect in a serial rape case, is also disappointing, as it never delivers more than a partial justification for his increasing loss of reason and self.

If you want to read Ian McEwan, start with THE CHILD IN TIME, THE INNOCENT or BLACK DOGS. Don't start here, or you may never get any further.

Amsterdam is available in paperback from Amazon.

The Author:

A protégée of Malcolm Bradbury's, Ian McEwan is one of the brightest stars in the contemporary novel firmament. He has produced seven novels, two collections of short stories, and a few TV and film scripts, including THE CEMENT GARDEN, THE COMFORT OF STRANGERS, THE DAYDREAMER and ENDURING LOVE.
Ian McEwan was a student on Malcolm Bradbury's Creative Writing Course at the University of East Anglia. Sir Malcolm Bradbury (unfortunately now deceased, as of three years ago last week) is the author of many books, including "Rates of Exchange" and "The Gravy Train". One of his best known, "The History Man" was made into a controversial TV series starring Antony Cher.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #44
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Im probably going to get shot for this but my worst book ever is still catcher in the rye. Only book that makes me cringe just thinking about it.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #45
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I don't hesitate to give a book 1-star... I use Goodreads.com, and on their system 1-star means "didn't like it". So I'll 1-star a book, but it doesn't mean I hated it.

In the past couple years, I've 1-starred a few books:
Hands Off My Belly: The Pregnant Woman's Survival Guide to Myths, Mothers, and Moods
Elantris (Brandon Sanderson)
Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2) (Robin Hobb)
Starbound (Joe Haldeman)
Rama II (Clarke)
Ender in Exile (Card)
The Road (McCarthy)

The only ones that really stick with me as "oh god, don't ever read (or attempt to read) this again" are:
The Road (boring, writing was not for me)
Elantris (oh, the writing was PAINFUL)
Starbound (rapid perspective changes with no explanation of whose view you were currently reading)
Hahaaha. I'm a bit opposite of you. Hobb is my favorite author, so I loved the Rain Wild books so far. I thought Ender in Exile was tolerable. And I enjoyed Elantris (although it was a bit of a guilty read) - but it was one of his earlier books, right? I haven't read any other Sanderson yet.

Try reading this (free on Kindle, Nook, etc):

http://www.amazon.com/Unsuspecting-M...dp/0984312722/

And tell me all of those books really deserved 1 star. Terrible, terrible Kindle or B&N freebie. Don't believe the 5 star reviews. It's the author using puppet accounts

This wins my award by a far, far margin. It's the first book I've dropped, simply unable to finish, in years and years.

I simply don't see how anyone of any taste could possibly give this book even one star. It's terrible!

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-03-2011 at 06:39 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote