Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
650-PC-350 ........... ?

One for the tech's I think - please be gentle with me, I am the Thec-Dunce, honestly....

I have a 650, registered to me on my PC, with a lot of books.

I have a 350, registered to me (or might be my son, can't remember) on another (networked) computer.

First, is it possible to load books from the 650 to the 350 via the PC ?
( me having lost most of the original Downloads )

Can I re-register the 350 to me at my PC - when I tried to transfer a bought-for book to 350, from downloads on my PC , Sony say the 350 isn't registered for me to do so.

Finally, can I register both devices on my PC, and will I need a new Reader Library and Calibre.
I thought you could transfer a bought book to 6 (?) devices ?

Hope I'm clear enough to get help......... Thanks.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
If the 350 was authorized to a different account you probably need to deauthorize it. Then hook it up to the computer you registered your 650 with and register it to your account.

This definitely works because I have a 950 and I gave my father my 300 and we use the same account to share books. Yes it is up to 6 devices.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
carpetmojo,

Greetings. Please forgive me if I state things too simplistically or assume you have less (or more!) knowledge than is the case.

Firstly, once you get the two readers registered on the same account (or deDRM your books) it is indeed possible to transfer books from one reader to the other. An ereader acts like any external drive attached to your computer via usb port. If you are unfamiliar with external drives and how to transfer files to them, please let us know.

I think you have begun using Calibre to manage your books. Are you deDRMing them first to make it possible for you to back them up and manipulate them more easily?

Did all your books come from Sony? You may be aware that all the books bought from them may be downloaded to any device registered to your account. Stated another way, any books you have bought with an account may be downloaded to any device registered to that account. So, you may not need to transfer any books from reader to reader. The trick will be to get both your readers registered to the same account. If you have non-DRM books present only on one reader you may transfer them to another reader and/or to your computer.

It is neither possible nor necessary to 'register' Calibre, so you will not need to replace or reinstall it on either computer if it is already present.

Concerning Sony Reader Library, you should not have to reinstall it. You have stated that you want to get both the 350 and the 650 registered to the same Sony account, and you will find the place to do this in the Reader Library software. Reader Library > eBook Store > My Account > My Devices > Manage/Rename Devices . As stated by JayB above, you will deauthorize the reader from one account before registering it to another. You will need to sign in to each account separately to accomplish this. You may register up to six devices (including readers and computers) to the same account. These devices can then access the books bought on this account. You state that the account to which your PRS-650 is registered has many books associated with it, so I am assuming you wish to register the PRS-350 to this account.

Last edited by redbees; 06-22-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: vainly striving for clarity
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Ta muchly ...

Great - I shall need a weekend of peace and quiet, but can see it's feasible.

And redbees - no worry in assuming I'm just about PC literate, so I just about got it !

(I'll shout if I panic too much !)

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Good luck!!
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert