Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-29-2024, 09:58 PM   #1
tagehring
tagehring began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 3
Library management app for Boox Note Air 3 that plays nice with Calibre?

I recently upgraded to a Boox Note Air 3 (from a Kobo Aura One) and am not thrilled with the built-in Library app. I'm looking for a replacement app that can read Calibre metadata (proper title sort, series info, custom tags, etc.) and then use the built-in reader to open files for reading.

I've always preferred to use USB to sync my Calibre library directly to an e-reader, so cloud storage or remote sync isn't anything I'm looking to set up at this time (will eventually set up a Calibre server at home but it's not happening anytime soon.)

I tried out Calibre Sync but couldn't get it to recognize books I'd already transferred to the device using Calibre. The documentation I could find for it was pretty useless. Calibre Companion was recommended to me, but everything I've read online indicates it's a dead app and is pretty much broken after the last update.

I am pretty new to the Android ecosystem in general and the sheer amount of information I've come across googling the topic is a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
tagehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:23 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
I use Calibre Companion, but I advise against buying it from the Play store - this version is broken; apart from that it is no longer supported.
But there is a version 5.4.3.3 floating around on the internet, in which the Cloud connection does not work because the login modalities have changed
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:50 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sadly nothing Android seems to work as well as a Kobo for Calibre metadata (Title, author, collection, series, subtitle, publish info and comment/blurb). The old Sony PRS -x50 and PRS-Tx models are second best (Title, author, collection).

So I only read reflowable ebooks and small mono PDFs on the Kobo Sage and only use the 10.9″ Android for loans/apps (Libby, Borrowbox, Playbooks, Kindle, Kobo), PDFs (book scans, magasines, textbooks), colour, (all on Pocketbook app) notes (Nebo & Xodo) etc. I got the eink Android for Borrowbox app, which is what the County Library uses, but Borrowbox is only working on regular LCD Android (even same version) now.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-01-2024 at 06:53 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:19 PM   #4
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagehring View Post
I recently upgraded to a Boox Note Air 3 (from a Kobo Aura One) and am not thrilled with the built-in Library app. I'm looking for a replacement app that can read Calibre metadata (proper title sort, series info, custom tags, etc.) and then use the built-in reader to open files for reading.

I've always preferred to use USB to sync my Calibre library directly to an e-reader, so cloud storage or remote sync isn't anything I'm looking to set up at this time (will eventually set up a Calibre server at home but it's not happening anytime soon.)

I tried out Calibre Sync but couldn't get it to recognize books I'd already transferred to the device using Calibre. The documentation I could find for it was pretty useless. Calibre Companion was recommended to me, but everything I've read online indicates it's a dead app and is pretty much broken after the last update.

I am pretty new to the Android ecosystem in general and the sheer amount of information I've come across googling the topic is a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
Did you try BookFusion? We have a few users that use both Calibre and BookFusion on Boox devices.

PS: Founder at BookFusion. Please let me know if you have any feedback
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:10 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
Did you try BookFusion? We have a few users that use both Calibre and BookFusion on Boox devices.
Android Playstore notes:
Quote:
In-app purchases
€2.19 - €109.99 if billed through Play
Subscription or once off purchase?

Also
Quote:
NOTE: You need to create an account using your Email or sign in with Twitter, Google, Apple IDF or Facebook to allow us to sync your ebooks, bookmarks, comments and highlights across all devices, our web reader, use send to kindle and other functionality. DO NOT INSTALL IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT.
There are good ereader apps at free, which can use Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote