Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
cami712
cami712 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 3rd gen
Calibre to iPad - Without "Send to Device"

Hi,

So I have a very big library of books (currently 1.744), which I have in calibre, changed the titles (all in capitalize), authors (first name then last name), genre (in a custom genre column) and tags (same as in genre column because for some reason they won't show when converting) and covers... all to my liking... and it's perfect and beautiful...

The thing is since I have an old ipad (2012 Ipad 3rd Gen) which doesn't allow for any software updates anymore (last iOS is 9.3.6) and my cable is not original so my laptop does not recognize my ipad so I can send my books with the "Send to device" option... which is ok... yet I can't seem to find an easy way to have my epubs send to my ipad...

So after alot of research - and probably there is an easier way to do this - I use the "convert epub to epub" first so my books have the new metadata embed into them... then I just create a folder on my documents where I copy all these new epubs without all those annoying author folders in the way, then I just send all my 1744 epubs to my icloud and load them onto the ibooks app...

The thing is that when I add an epub to my ibooks the cathegory (genre or tags) does not show... plus when I use the convert epub to epub the title gets cut off.... Help! anyone know how I could send them from my calibre onto my ipad in a very much easier way?? or at least the same complicated one but where I get all the metadata I changed?

PS. I have tried using the "Save to disk" only epub in a single directory and same thing... the cathegory/genre won't show...
cami712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
ToasterxB
ToasterxB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T1
I have an iPad air and how I transfer books to my iPad is by creating a calibre server on my PC. I can use the calibre app on my iPad to access the server and download whatever books I need anytime as long as the computer is on.
ToasterxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #3
cami712

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToasterxB View Post
I have an iPad air and how I transfer books to my iPad is by creating a calibre server on my PC. I can use the calibre app on my iPad to access the server and download whatever books I need anytime as long as the computer is on.
Thanks for the tip, sadly because my ipad is so old, the calibre app is not compatible with the iOS on it... obvs don't have the money to upgrade it, so I have to work with what I got
Old 04-17-2021, 01:51 AM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
So long as your ipad has a browser, the Calibre server ought to work.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
So long as your ipad has a browser, the Calibre server ought to work.
The Browser Support section of the documentation states that it works on iOS 10.3.2 or newer.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The Browser Support section of the documentation states that it works on iOS 10.3.2 or newer.
It also says just above the sentence you quote: "If you are using a particularly old or limited browser or you don’t like to run JavaScript, you can use the mobile view, by simply adding /mobile to the server address."
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It also says just above the sentence you quote: "If you are using a particularly old or limited browser or you don’t like to run JavaScript, you can use the mobile view, by simply adding /mobile to the server address."
One could accomplish many things by reading through the Manual.

Thank you very much for this! I was in the very same situation as the OP, and my access to the server was blocked a couple months ago. I was using the iCloud option too. Using 'server_ip:8080/mobile' did the trick for me!

Thanks again!
thiago.eec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Good point!
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
cami712

Thank you all for the help!

I tried using the browser and it gave me 2 errors:

1st one was: Unhandled error: TypeError: Attempted to assign to readonly property. Error at "IP Address" (I checked the IP Address on my computer's chrome and it did open my calibre library

2nd one was: Unhandled error: NotFoundError: DOM IDBDatabase Exception 8: An operation failed because the requested database object could not be found. Error at "IP Address"(When I did open the address with my computer browser, it showed no error)

Anyway... I tried opening the calibre library on a friends iphone, and it showed all my books, but, is there a way to download all of them at once into my icloud? If I could log intro my icloud account on her phone, download all the books, then they should automatically load on my ipad right?
Old 04-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #10
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cami712 View Post
Thank you all for the help!

I tried using the browser and it gave me 2 errors:

1st one was: Unhandled error: TypeError: Attempted to assign to readonly property. Error at "IP Address" (I checked the IP Address on my computer's chrome and it did open my calibre library

2nd one was: Unhandled error: NotFoundError: DOM IDBDatabase Exception 8: An operation failed because the requested database object could not be found. Error at "IP Address"(When I did open the address with my computer browser, it showed no error)
I got these same errors before, but it worked fine when I used the mobile view (server_ip:8080/mobile).
thiago.eec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:07 PM   #11
cami712

And any chance anyone knows why my tags are not showing on my ipad as categories, i removed all tags, added them again, and nothing... when I add a single book on my ibooks they don't show up...

I've done Conversion epub to epub, and save to disk on single directory... nothing works

Tags
convert epub to epub, genre, ipad