Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
DR800 Displaying File Names

Does anyone know if it is possible to force the DR800 to display file names rather than, what I assume it does, to display information from metadata. Ive got folders enabled but my problem is that I tend to call files, academic papers and the like, something that means something to me. The file names show in Windows Explorer when looking at the device, but once the file has been opened on the unit it seems to revert to a different filename, which I assume the unit is getting from metadata.

Thanks in advance.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
If you remove the title and author in the metadata of a pdf file, DR800 will just show the real file name.

I know this is not exactly the "solution", they should really provide a setting per file for displaying either the meta data or the file name.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
I see books by file name, including .epub extension, when browsing the SD card. The folders need to be enabled, of course. I can't find the post that describes it, but I saved the text:
In the "System" dir on the SD-Card is a file "dr.ini", I added the line:

/apps/er/sys/ctb/showdir=sdcard

use wordpad for unix compatibility
Edit: Oops, seems they all show file names when sorted by title before they've been opened. Once you start reading the file name turns into the title. Sorry.

Last edited by Dellaster; 03-09-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
CoolDragon
Addict

Yes, it updates the database AFTER reading file. In next firmware release, since the database will be updated as soon as the file is added/changed, you won't be able to see this "delayed" feature :-)
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
CoolDragon
Addict

By the way, who knows why DR800 cannot open files who name is not English, although the file system seems to be Unicode based?
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
snuffed
snuffed began at the beginning.

lawl so Irex can't open non-latin-based languages after all? Which language were you trying out?
snuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
If the epub file you've bought does not have the correct metadata (even the DRM protected ones), you can edit the metadata yourself:

1) rename the epub file extension to *.zip
2) open this with winzip and look for the *.opf file
3) you can edit this file, which contains the meta data
(all other files are encrypted if it is a DRM protected file)
4) there are fields like <dc:creator ... opf:role"aut"> that contain the Author name
5) put the edited *.opf file back in the zip file
6) rename it back to *.epub
7) and it should open again, but with the new metadata

PS Make sure you keep a copy of the original file, before trying this out.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffed View Post
lawl so Irex can't open non-latin-based languages after all? Which language were you trying out?
I am trying Chinese, and filename is encoded with UTF-8. DR800 has no problem displaying the Chinese file name as long as the font is installed.

This turns out to be a bug of the "Universal Viewer". Because I installed FBReader, and it has no problem opening Chinese named files.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
I am trying Chinese, and filename is encoded with UTF-8. DR800 has no problem displaying the Chinese file name as long as the font is installed.
Did you mean to say, "DR800 has no problem displaying the Chinese file name as long as the font is installed within the document"?

Or did you figure out a way to install a system font so chinese file names and metadata can be viewed?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Did you mean to say, "DR800 has no problem displaying the Chinese file name as long as the font is installed within the document"?

Or did you figure out a way to install a system font so chinese file names and metadata can be viewed?
To display the Chinese file name or metadata, you have to install a Chinese font. Download this http://www.99works.com/uploads/chine...upport_wqy.zip, and follow the README file.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
To display the Chinese file name or metadata, you have to install a Chinese font. Download this http://www.99works.com/uploads/chine...upport_wqy.zip, and follow the README file.
Thanks for the tip! Works great on the DR800, too. Just dropped everything in the Programs directory I had created for the installation of FBReader and ran the "Install Chinese Display support".

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-23-2010 at 11:56 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
If the epub file you've bought does not have the correct metadata (even the DRM protected ones), you can edit the metadata yourself
Does anyone know about a similar method for regular pdf files?
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
There is a post on the iRex forum to a program that can edit the meta data of a pdf.
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=5637
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
CoolDragon
Addict

Regarding the DR800 not able to open PDF or ePub files if the filename contains Chinese characters, the IREX tech support is just dodging the problem by saying "it is not supported, same as any desktop OS, bla bla bla". This is just crap because Linux nowadays by default supports Unicode.

So here is the error message when I tried to open a Chinese named PDF file in the emulator:

root@qemuarm:/media/mmcblk0p1/Docs# (UDS_adobe_E)[1104450704]../src/adobe_document_host.cpp:584,reportDocumentError() errorListLength = 0
(UDS_adobe_E)[1104450704]../src/adobe_document_host.cpp:505,reportLoadingState()
ERROR: Loading Error!

(UDS_E)[1073980992] uds_doc_manager.cpp:265,open_document() Error opening document for /media/mmcblk0p1/Docs/改革历程.pdf!
(UDS_E)[1073980992] uds_view_ctrl.cpp:238,destroy_plugin_wrappers() --> no render_settings object

Obviously, this is a UDS problem, or maybe the Adobe RM SDK problem. Just hope some IREX developer on this forum can see this and kindly fix it. If the UDS source is open, I will just fix it without even asking.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #15
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Regarding the DR800 not able to open PDF or ePub files if the filename contains Chinese characters, the IREX tech support is just dodging the problem by saying "it is not supported, same as any desktop OS, bla bla bla". This is just crap because Linux nowadays by default supports Unicode.
I'm curious if you rename the pdf/epub, then can you then read the document even if it contains chinese characters? I'm not saying this is the solution, but am curious if you can read the document since I've seen a video of this happening.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote