Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
Thinking about kindle 2 again

I bought a kindle 2 when they first came out but returned it because of screen contrast issues when compared to my kindle 1. With the Georgia font hack installed on k2, is the contrast at least the same as it was on kindle 1? The reason I'm thinking about upgrading again is because I would love to have the progress bar with chapter marks on the bottom.
Thanks
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I don't know about the font hack, but I think the contrast on my k2 is better than my k1. I absolutely love the K2, and am glad I bought it. Can't wait for k3, though!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
The reason I'm thinking about upgrading again is because I would love to have the progress bar with chapter marks on the bottom.
Yes, it's a nice feature - when it's available. But keep in mind that not all books have the chapter marks. The progress bar always tells you the percentage you have read, but you can't always use it to jump between chapters.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I would hold off and wait for Kindle 3 it can't be more than a couple of months away.

Maybe we need a buyers guide like Macrumors has - http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
A lost of all of the popular reader devices with their revision history. If we see Amazon getting into the habit of a yearly refresh, we'll know when to expect new versions.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The Kindle 2 with the font hack is a lot better. If it were not for the hack I would have returned my K2. Never had a K1 so I can not compare the two.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
So I bought a k2i and received it today. The screen looks great now. Looks like Amazon fixed the font problem, it looks about the same as my original kindle. I went ahead and installed the georgia2 font hack anyway to test it out. Made the font even darker then kindle 1. I'm liking it a lot right now.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Yeah, but remember when the K3 comes out, don't be an early adopter. You gotta wait six months for them to fix all the bugs, and for somebody to write the proper hacks.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Are you frigging kidding me? You've just destroyed my meticulously built master plan. I cannot wait another six months.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote