Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
There are only three things I like better on the K2 - the dictionary is one. The second is how much faster search works on the K2 and the ability to limit a search to the currently opened book. The third is reading blogs/papers/magazines. The ability to use the toggle to go to the next article at any point, rather than having to page thru if you went past the header is much, much nicer (as a result, I read Amazon daily on my DX, if I have it around). An approximation of this could have easily been added to the scroll wheel or attached to a couple of ignored letters on the keyboard (the best option) on the K1, but Amazon quit updating it.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
The main "cludsey" factor for me is the difference in accessing functions betw the K1 and K2 - using a slide button on the back of the K1 to turn on Whispernet, and using the scroll wheel versus the joy stick. I upgraded to a
K2 but kept my K1 as my "travel" Kindle - carry it to work to read at lunch, to appointments, etc. - I have absolutely no trouble adjusting between them.
My biggest objection to the K1 vs the K2 is accessing the dictionary - I got very spoiled with the K2 - having definitions constantly accessible on the bottom of the page I was reading. The K1 dictionary lookup feature is extremely "cludsey" and interrupts the reading flow. If you are not a big dictionary user, this won't bother you.
Thanks for the information on this.

Much appreciated.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
As I see it, you are looking at the prices for a new and refurbished Kindle DX.

The refurbished DX's are simply those which have been returned, for various reasons. They are in perfect shape, and carry the same warranty/guarantee as a "new" one.

There is no difference, internally, between a refurb and new Kindle, whether its a DX or other model.

Hope this helps.
It does and I hope you're right. You have come up with the best explanation so far. There's been some talk about this on another forum without getting satisfactory answer.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
It does and I hope you're right. You have come up with the best explanation so far. There's been some talk about this on another forum without getting satisfactory answer.
I bought a refurbished K1 for the granddaughter, after emailing CS to make sure about the warranty.

It came shrink wrapped in the original box, looked like new and even the cords were new, with the little plastic thingys on the ends.

Personally, I see no downside to these. But thats just me.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #20
1465 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
how can i tell if this kindle is the one with special ads and screensavers?
1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
It would say so in the price description (and if buying used in person, it has them on the home page). Of course, there is no DX with special offers.

did you have to resurrect an two-year old, completely unrelated thread to ask this?

Last edited by koland; 07-14-2011 at 01:50 PM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote