Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets
bmfrosty began at the beginning.

Device: Hanline V3 (current) Hanlin V5 (future)
Obligitory Introductory Post....

Hi,

I'm Ben. I've been using a (now dead) REB1150 for about the last 5 years mostly with Baen's catalog. I've found that I'm very resistant to buying any sort of DRM encrusted literature as it sometimes takes me a while (read: years) to get around to reading my purchases, and with most of these services I don't have confidence that I'll continue to have access to them. I'm planning to pick up a new reader of some sort, and the unit that seems the most exciting to me is the Hanlin V5 as it has forward and back buttons in the right places, even if it's missing any sort of backlight or nifty spine-like rubber grip. I may wait a bit longer though as I'm very interested in Mary Lou Jepsen's new displays and what they have to offer to the equation. I'm also very excited to see the ePub format taking off and I hope to see it become the de-facto standard for ebooks even if some companies insist on continuing to use DRM.
bmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Bless your heart! What happened to your poor little REB1150?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Bless your heart! What happened to your poor little REB1150?
The battery refuses to charge anymore. I've had to take it apart a couple of times due to drops and spills over the years, so I went ahead and replaced the cells in the battery pack, but that didn't seem to do the job. I've been wrestling with the idea of a new reader for a while, but as for as ergonomics and usability the REB1150 does so many things right - button placement, the spine, the backlight, the minimal use of secondary buttons - which is why I'm so interested in the Pixel QI screens. I don't know if they can leave a latent image like e-ink does, but it does appear that they do some things with black and white very well, and they support a refresh rate that makes a touchscreen a strong possibility. The only reason that I'm not just buying another one from fictionwise is that a high resolution screen and easier support for newer formats really interests me.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The EBW1150 I used to use was super comfortable. I wish the innerds of my Sony could be transplanted into the body of the EBW1150.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets

Quote:
The EBW1150 I used to use was super comfortable. I wish the innerds of my Sony could be transplanted into the body of the EBW1150.
Bingo. When the Kindle first came out I was considering it, and thinking that it might be possible to mount a spine on it. That spine just makes it so easy to grip.
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
so sorry to hear about the death of your eb1150. i've got one (it was my very first dedicated device) and i still love it, despite its flaws. it's definitely the best ergonomy available. i ended up getting a sony 700 to complement it, because i wanted a device with epub support (and a bit lighter so i could actually carry it around with me, which i never did with my eb1150) and because the 700 had many of the features i knew i would miss from the eb1150 (touch screen navigation, highlighting / notetaking function, search...). i love the 700 too but i'm still waiting for an e-ink, epub device that reproduces all the best aspects of the 1150 (the One True Device ).

i'm sure you'll be able to find a new device here which will satisfy your criteria ; don't hesitate to ask questions, we've got a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people around !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome to Mobileread!

Yes, there's a number of us who resist DRM. I resisted until the Mobipocket DRM stripper was released.

Odd really, that a program to remove DRM should result in the purchase of more DRMed ebooks.

Hopefully the publishers will see the light eventually.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfrosty View Post
I'm very resistant to buying any sort of DRM encrusted literature
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Welcome to Mobileread!

Yes, there's a number of us who resist DRM. I resisted until the Mobipocket DRM stripper was released.

Odd really, that a program to remove DRM should result in the purchase of more DRMed ebooks.

Paul
i did the same with epub.

not losing hope though.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Ben. Welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Welcome to Mobileread!

Paul
Bingo. The slippery slope - and this is the one that the music industry and the movie industry are deeply embroiled in - is that when the user has to strip out drm in order to use their product, they tend to set up communities around first stripping out the protection, then distributing the content without the protection. For a while, those that are interested in supporting the publishers will continue to pay for the content, then download from the community, but eventually, those who won't bother paying become the vast majority. Baen has done a great job combating that - I pay for a book once, then am able to download it in a variety of formats as often as I want, and I have a confidence that I will continue to be able to download my purchases from them indefinitely. It's convenient to buy ebooks from Baen. TOR's deal where they were giving out a free ebook every week has given me hope for them as well, but I'm a bit worried as it hasn't materialized into anything but the blog yet.

Spoiler:
I think I may be rambling. This subject has probably been covered ad-nauseum in these forums already.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
so sorry to hear about the death of your eb1150. i've got one (it was my very first dedicated device) and i still love it, despite its flaws. it's definitely the best ergonomy available. i ended up getting a sony 700 to complement it, because i wanted a device with epub support (and a bit lighter so i could actually carry it around with me, which i never did with my eb1150) and because the 700 had many of the features i knew i would miss from the eb1150 (touch screen navigation, highlighting / notetaking function, search...). i love the 700 too but i'm still waiting for an e-ink, epub device that reproduces all the best aspects of the 1150 (the One True Device ).

i'm sure you'll be able to find a new device here which will satisfy your criteria ; don't hesitate to ask questions, we've got a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people around !
I couldn't agree more!

Welcome to MobileRead, bmfrosty!

You could always replace your old 1150 with a new EBW1150 from Fictionwise. They are relatively inexpensive (Fictionwise is always offering deals on them) and could hold you over until something better comes along.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Ben and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
You could always replace your old 1150 with a new EBW1150 from Fictionwise. They are relatively inexpensive (Fictionwise is always offering deals on them) and could hold you over until something better comes along.
I could. I'm trying to regain my frugality, and buying a reader that I'll be planning on replacing in the next six months or so is at odds with that goal.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Welcome aboard, Ben! I know you will find answers to your questions here in the forums.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Ben, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome stick smilie.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	32253 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote