Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
Tyger
Tyger began at the beginning.

Device: kobo N416
Help! My Kobo Original Version is Frozen

Hi I hope I can get some help. I have a kobo original model #N416
It is frozen. I have tried to do a factory reset, it starts to load but then stops, and doesn't continue. And when I connect it to my computer, the computer doesn't pick it up.(doesn't sense that I've connected the kobo)

Last edited by Tyger; 08-24-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Tyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Hi I hope I can get some help. I have a kobo original model #N416
It is frozen. I have tried to do a factory reset, it starts to load but then stops, and doesn't continue. And when I connect it to my computer, the computer doesn't pick it up.(doesn't sense that I've connected the kobo)
When is the last time you fully charged it on a wall charger?
It sounds like it needs at the very least 24 hours on the charger.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 01:30 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I would give the opposite a shot. I would disconnect the battery for a minute, then reconnect it and see if that helps. The battery is glued in, so I wouldn't recommend removal, but if you carefully pry off the back panel, you see where it's connector lifts off from the board. Disconnect it for a couple of minutes and then reconnect it and see if that helps. If you don't feel comfortable prying off the back, alternately you could let the device's battery drain down naturally by leaving the device on, but this is neither as quick nor effective.

The sad news is that it may be time for a new reader. The original Kobo is rather dated, as it was discontinued five year ago.

(Moved posts to new thread.)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-25-2016 at 01:44 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Tyger

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I am sure it was charged, I will try disconnecting the battery and see what happens.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
Tyger

I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. The screen didn't change when I disconnected the battery. When I plugged the battery back in the blue light flashed, the kobo started up, three squares came up and that's where it stopped.

Does anyone have a SD card for the kobo original that I could maybe borrow to try and see if that helps?
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried resetting it again?
Old 08-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
Tyger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Have you tried resetting it again?
I've tried the paperclip reset. The kobo starts up loads three of the little boxes and then stops.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Rockin
Enthusiast
Rockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch
I am betting the battery is shot. I had very similar results with my nexus 7 when its battery was done - on for only a few seconds... That device is not as old as original kobo. I purchased new battery on ebay and things are great again.
Rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The glued-in battery can be pried off, but it isn't very easy.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My guess is the flash memory is dying/dead. Is this one of those models with an internal SD card? If so, it might be worthwhile trying to image a new card and swapping out the original.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #11
Tyger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
My guess is the flash memory is dying/dead. Is this one of those models with an internal SD card? If so, it might be worthwhile trying to image a new card and swapping out the original.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
I just took my kobo apart completely, thinking that it would have an internal SD card, turns out it doesn't. I am thinking that it is beyond repair. I can force it into upgrade mode, red light stays soild and screen turns blank. MY computer doesn't sense it when I plug it in. I have tried factory reset, but it doesn't get past the loading screen and only three boxes load.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
My advice since it is older and it could be the memory, it could be the battery or any number of other things, just buy a new one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I just took my kobo apart completely, thinking that it would have an internal SD card, turns out it doesn't. I am thinking that it is beyond repair. I can force it into upgrade mode, red light stays soild and screen turns blank. MY computer doesn't sense it when I plug it in. I have tried factory reset, but it doesn't get past the loading screen and only three boxes load.
As the original Kobo ereader doesn't have an internal SD card, then it is unlikely anyone will have produced an image for it. In any case, I haven't seen any mention of one.

The factory reset would be the way to fix it if anything will. You say it doesn't get past the three boxes. But, did it display a screen saying it was resetting? And exactly how are you doing the factory reset?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I would like to congratulate you for still owning an original Kobo reader. How do you do it? I'm already contemplating whether or not to get an Aura One when I already own a new Kindle Paperwhite from last year and an H2O from the year before! I have a problem.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #15
Tyger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I would like to congratulate you for still owning an original Kobo reader. How do you do it? I'm already contemplating whether or not to get an Aura One when I already own a new Kindle Paperwhite from last year and an H2O from the year before! I have a problem.
I have three kobos actually. The kobo original I bought two years ago for 8 bucks at a second store and was working fine till now.

The other kobo I can't remember what it is, then I have the first water proof one. I haven't had any issues with my kobos until this one and actually at 8 bucks after two years use Im not going to cry if I can't fix it. I just don't want to trash it if there is a fix.