Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #46
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
I
Italo Svevo - Confessions of Zeno/Zeno's Conscience
Jumping in just to say... uhgh, mhh... no
I mean, you (OP) can try it of course, but it's the worst book I've ever read.
Painfully boring and slow. It's one of those they made us read in high school, and not one person I've talked to said they liked it, not because it was almost obligatory, but because it was really boring. Every time someone asks me the usual "your favorite book/the one you don't like" I always mention this one as the one I don't like, and many around me do, too.

seconding the other books though
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
glos: interesting. I read it college (in Italian) and found it quite funny. Maybe the translation you guys had was not so hot?
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #48
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
glos: interesting. I read it college (in Italian) and found it quite funny. Maybe the translation you guys had was not so hot?
I read the original too as that's my first language
All those parts about his smoke problem and the part
Spoiler:
where he talks about his affair
were really hard to read...
I genuinely don't remember finding any part funny or not boring

slightly off topic
Spoiler:
I don't usually dislike our "classics", I can say I Promessi Sposi is too long, but that's because they don't really make you like it at school (and yeah let's face it, it's way too long), while my teacher did a great job on the Divine Comedy, I adore it, if it's properly explained it's easy to see why it's a masterpiece. I also Like Calvino and Eco a lot. Of the "newest" there's Baricco (Novecento, Oceano Mare) and lately I am especially enjoying Stefano Benni (Achille piè veloce, etc) if you have not tried them, as you seem to like italian literature (and maybe read them in their original language, I'd recommend them)
Wiki on Benni (because I couldn't find the words): "His novels contain, within imaginary worlds and situations, a strong satire of Italian society over the last few decades. His writing style includes many puns, neologisms and parodies of other literary styles." I find them really clever and witty.

Last edited by glos; 09-01-2013 at 04:57 PM.
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you want to read the classics I'd strongly suggest that you begin with the great authors who wrote in your own language. Books like "War and Piece" or "Don Qixote" certainly are classics, but if you read them in English you aren't reading the author's book at all - you're reading a translator's interpretation of what the author said, and that's a very different thing.

Goodness knows there's no shortage of classics in English. I'd start with my very favourite author, Charles Dickens, arguably the greatest novelist ever to have written in the English language. Most people who think "Dickens is boring" do so because they were force-fed him in school. Dickens wasn't writing for children (other than the few books he wrote which were actually aimed at children, of course); you have to be an adult with some experience of the world to be able to appreciate his biting wit and social satire.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-02-2013 at 04:23 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #50
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Just about anything by Mark Twain "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court!" is a good example.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #51
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you want to read the classics I'd strongly suggest that you begin with the great authors who wrote in your own language. Books like "War and Piece" or "Don Qixote" certainly are classics, but if you read them in English you aren't reading the author's book at all - you're reading a translator's interpretation of what the author said, and that's a very different thing.

Goodness knows there's no shortage of classics in English. I'd start with my very favourite author, Charles Dickens, arguably the greatest novelist ever to have written in the English language. Most people who think "Dickens is boring" do so because they were force-fed him in school. Dickens wasn't writing for children (other than the few books he wrote which were actually aimed at children, of course); you have to be an adult with some experience of the world to be able to appreciate his biting wit and social satire.
Agreed, it really is Dickens then daylight. I would say, however, that you might get a very unfair impression of Dickens' high quality if your first sample was, as recommended earlier here, Nicholas Nickleby.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
Agreed, it really is Dickens then daylight. I would say, however, that you might get a very unfair impression of Dickens' high quality if your first sample was, as recommended earlier here, Nicholas Nickleby.
I agree. I'd suggest "Bleak House" or "Great Expectations".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #53
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
What? Nicholas Nickelby is easily my favorite Dickens novel!
Ah well, to each their own.
I like the idea of reading classics in their original language. Maybe I'll give that a try when I have some time- sit down with a grammar and dictionary and slog away at Les Miserables or Crime and Punishment.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was waiting for this from you HarryT.

I started to read a couple of Dickens stories. I've only read A Christmas Carol, which I enjoyed, and The Chimes, which I did not enjoy.

I'm still determined to read at least all his Christmas stories and A Tale of Two Cities, but I don't know if I'm going to tackle his bigger works.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #55
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I was waiting for this from you HarryT.

I started to read a couple of Dickens stories. I've only read A Christmas Carol, which I enjoyed, and The Chimes, which I did not enjoy.

I'm still determined to read at least all his Christmas stories and A Tale of Two Cities, but I don't know if I'm going to tackle his bigger works.
I've encountered some of his works (as films). Not so much in book format though, although I have read Oliver Twist.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #56
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Glos,
It's possible I'm confusing Zeno with something else i read way back when...

Last edited by Merischino; 09-06-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: the dreaded spellcheck
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #57
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwhere View Post
...I normally read fantasy, horror, thriller and young adult novels - a few of my cherished authors, specifically, are Stephen King, China Miéville, Cassandra Clare, Sarah Diemer, Dean Koontz, Neil Gaiman, Neal Stephenson and J.K. Rowling. ...
Sorry for being a bit late to the party ...

There have been a lot of good recommendations so far. I would like to add that there are two completely different groups of 'classics' to consider:
  1. Those works that you should read for the sake of what they are and what they say to the reader. Most of the recommendations so far fall into this group.
  2. Those works that have influenced other writers and, more importantly, those that are referenced by other writers. This group overlaps #1 a good deal, but there are some that don't. These may not be the best reads on their own, but reading them can aid in understanding other works.
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is an excellent example of a book that falls into both groups. It's an essential read. Bulfinch's Mythology is one that falls mostly into group #2, though some would find it a decent read on its own. H. G. Wells' and Edgar Allen Poe's works are often good reads on their own and are excellent examples of works that set styles that have been followed by many authors since.

Searching out good reviews and analyses of works by authors you like might turn up a mention of some referenced classic.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Added needed quote tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwhere View Post
Hi Crich70. This is an excellent resource, thank you for sending me the link - it's unlikely I ever would have stumbled across this by myself! I see that The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (one of the two classic works that I own in paper format) is listed among these, so I think that I'll start with that one...
You can find an excellent, very readable, and free translation of The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri on the translator's website. Antony S. Kline has generously made his translation—with hyper-linked in-depth name index, and comprehensive notes—free of charge, and it can be downloaded by visiting this page and selecting your preferred format.

"Texts may be FREELY replicated for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes. Copyright is however reserved by the author and translator in all these works."

I should also mention that a there may still be a printed copy or two for sale if you search.

Spoiler:
From the Printed Books section of his website:

Quote:
Dante: The Divine Comedy, translated text only without index or illustrations.

The title was available from Borders Stores in the Borders Classics series, but may now be out of print. If so, try entering the ISBN on the Amazon site, where second-hand copies do become available from time to time.

ISBN: 1-58726-157-X

You may also want to browse Mr. Stine's free Poetry Archive while you're there.

Poetry in Translation

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-13-2013 at 03:09 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #59
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You can find an excellent, very readable, and free translation of The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri on the translator's website. Antony S. Kline has generously made his translation—with hyper-linked in-depth name index, and comprehensive notes—free of charge, and it can be downloaded by visiting this page and selecting your preferred format.

"Texts may be FREELY replicated for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes. Copyright is however reserved by the author and translator in all these works."

I should also mention that a there may still be a printed copy or two for sale if you search.

Spoiler:
From the Printed Books section of his website:

You may also want to browse Mr. Stine's free Poetry Archive while you're there.

Poetry in Translation
Thanks for the link.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #60
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
This is one aspect of electronic literature that I've really profited from - the availability of public domain classics.
Yes, indeed. Saves hundreds of Euro's when reading electronically

I'm going to follow this thread. I like reading classics, but I only know the well known authors; you know, the ones everybody knows. I may pick some stuff up here as well.

Do you read detectives? In that case you might read the Sherlock Holmes series by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. That's next on my list after I finish my current book.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote